iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I save my father's old Stihl 041 Farmboss chainsaw? (flywheel discontinued)

Started by myfatherssaw, April 22, 2018, 11:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myfatherssaw

I have a Farmboss 041 I inherited from my father  It needs a fanwheel (1110-086-0505) which I know is a discontinued part. Is it possible to change out the flywheel and the fanwheel or is it a lost cause?  Thanks.

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum, grab a coffee and pull up a stump. You might find parts or a donor saw on e-bay but need to know what you are looking at. The early versions had breaker type ignition and Fairbanks-Morse starters, they are not interchangeable with the later units.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

I dont know the answer but i hope you do restore it.  Heres a basket case i restored for my dad, with a lot of tricks inside.  

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Goggle chainsawr. His name is Scott. He has alot of old parts.
Good luck!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

realzed

Quote from: mike_belben on April 22, 2018, 01:36:11 PM
I dont know the answer but i hope you do restore it.  Heres a basket case i restored for my dad, with a lot of tricks inside.  

Beautiful - too nice to actually use!

ZeroJunk

How is it damaged?  If it is just the friction ring you can buy those on eBay for a few bucks. You can buy the whole flywheel assembly for that matter.

myfatherssaw

The places where the bolts go to attach to the fanwheel have broken off.  Part a bolt is still in the flywheel but I can drill out if I find a fanwheel.  I don't know how to tell how old the saw is but it shows "Made in West Germany" so it is before 1990.

gspren

I have a 041 Farmboss with no AV and I believe I bought it in the early 80s. Still runs good!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

jason.weir

myfatherssaw

Thanks for the links!

I translated the German page (thank you Google translate!) but they are out of stock.

I checked out chainsawr's site and didn't see one in the catalog but will email him. 

I also emailed hlsproparts to see if they think they will get the fanwheel back in stock any time soon.

MAF143

I have one also and still use it some.  It heated a lot of houses for many years.  The newer saws tend to get the bulk of the work these days.

Nice pix.  Mine is working saw so it's not so great looking...  Even my new saws don't look like that after I get them home...  LOL
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

DelawhereJoe

I replaced my old 041 non-av with a 362 c-m  I still have it as my Grandfather and dad purchased it new in 1972. Mine just is a shelf queen right now, it was rebuild back in the late 90's due to my Uncle straight gassing it. The Stihl dealer that repaired it had to bring an old timer out of the parts section to set the points because all the young guys on the repair side didn't know anything about them.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!