iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 046 mag

Started by TexasTimbers, March 30, 2005, 08:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

the guy i bought my circle mill from has offered his 046 for $250. it has a broken handle at both ends but has been epoxied and/or soldered/welded with aluminum rod(?) or something - definately has to be replaced. he says its a $100 part. sure doesn't look like a $100 part. the saw started on the 4th pull and had been setting idle he says for months. i believe him. has a decompression valve. i guess all the big ones do.
this saw has been uuuuuuused. real beat up looking. the bottom part of the built-in plastic handle is busted also. not all the way through, just missing a significant chunk. that looks like more than $100 but it doesn't affect the performance of the saw and can stay broken.
after reading some recent threads i was thinking i should grab a 372xp if i still can before they are gone. my idea is to offer him $125 and if he takes it fine if not hunt for a 372 while they can still probably be found.
i'm not trying to start the same old thread of orange widgets versus red widgets, i just want to know if buying used chainsaws in this apparent condition is a bad idea. who knows what the cylinder/piston/crank etc condition right?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

I replaced the handle/gas tank assembly on my MS440.  I am pretty sure I ended up with an assembly for a 460 but I made it fit.  The assembly new was $129.00.  You can get a half wrap handlebar at Bailey's for $20.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

fishhuntcutwood

Kevjay-I'm a Stihl guy, but if you're even thinking about getting a 372 over a worn out saw, go for it.  I'd say throwing $125 at him wouldn't be a bad idea, but look it over for the normal things that will add up to have them fixed, check compression as best you can.  Pull it over and see if she breathes or not.  Use the "hold it up by the starter handle" method to get a ball park idea.  Check the bearings and smell the gas tank.  Should smell like gas, not paint thinner.  There's alot of beater saws out there that are gems to be had, but always add up what it will cost to get it running right, and if it comes to more than $350-$400, this saw sounds pretty beat up, and probably one to pass on.  And if a saw has a handle broken that bad, you have to wonder, how did it break?  A force that bad, could really screw up the insides or leave you with a small air leak in the seals, or anything.  If you don't mind fixing it up, it might be worth it.  And yes, a new factory handle bar is pretty darn expensive.  You can get aftermarket ones for $40-$50.

Take care all,
Jeff  
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!