iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detector

Started by thiggy, October 14, 2005, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiggy

Is a handheld metal detector very effective for avoiding foreign objects when sawing large logs?
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Tom

Most anything is better than nothing.  Guaranteed, the blade will find it.

There are extensive threads discussing this very question in the past.   Some of the members have hand held machines that cost thousands of dollars.  Some members have hand held machines that are in the hundreds of dollars.   Most of them say that their machines do a pretty good job.  You just have to developer a technique for your machine and your operation as well.

I'm not aware of any members who own a "tunnel" detector, that takes whole logs,as you might find in a big commercial mill.

Put "metal detector" in the forum search (access at top of the page) and you will find pages of posts.

ronwood

thiggy,

I use a metal detector used for finding coins. I been able to find 16 penny nails down about 5 in.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Minnesota_boy

I use a $20 band blade.  It can find a carpet tack 12" inside a log.  Wanna know how I know?  :o >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ga_Boy

Thiggy,

A Fisher or A Whites will do the job at a reasonable cost.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Mobilesawyer

I use a wand style metal detecter (like the ones they use at the airport) from Radio Shack (The Source). It has two intensity settings of which I now use the lower because on high it senses the rerod in the concrete floor beneath the log. I have now changed my process a bit and scan any suspected logs while on the deck outside before I load them on the mill. The best partt is that it only cost $70.00 Canadian and works great. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!