iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost for grouser bar versus new shoes

Started by LeeB, June 23, 2018, 08:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Is grouser bar economical? Consider that I don't have the welding equipment to do it myself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dgdrls

I suspect you mean to "reshoe"some tracks?
Uncertain on cost but am interested in hearing what
others with more experience have to say

D

LeeB

Yes, to reshoe the tracks on my D4C. The toe steal is getting pretty worn. Hard to get a good push when you just spin.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BargeMonkey

Undercarriages just went up 30% with the steel tariff unfortunately. Welding on new grouser steel isnt a hard job but its alot of time. Personally I would go on "Machinery trader" and look towards the bottom, you will see a parts and attachment section, you maybe able to find a pile of shoes at a dealer as "old stock" or from a dismantled machine that are like new, that's how i typically shop for parts first. 

mike_belben

Machine by machine basis.  If you cant get some obsolete pad then there is no alternative.  Price new and then youll have a basis to compare.  
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

You might call around to some of the tethering manufactures for their extensions they weld on the machines that might fit your needs.

woodmaker

I've done it twice;a td8 and a td20. As barge monkey says,its not hard,but it takes a lot of time. If you can weld,but don't have a welder,this may be the time to seriously look at buying one.If you can't weld,look at adult ed. classes,if available( it's hard to survive in this business if you cant fix at least some of your own machinery). The other question is ; how good are the chains themselves.Is it worth your time to fix pads on worn out tracks? Probably not ,if you use the machine very much.
  Around here , a man with a portable welder gets about $ 60.00 an hour. I cant believe the it would be cheaper to pay someone weld on grouser stock than to buy new.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Gearbox

If you have a welding tech school they are looking for projects for students to weld . 3/4 inch grade 60 rebar works good . You may have to look a bit to find graded rebar . most sell ungraded from mini mills . Cheap fix and wears quite well . I did this on a 850 Case and wore out a set of chains and only broke one bar .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

LeeB

Quote from: Gearbox on June 23, 2018, 11:31:11 PM
If you have a welding tech school they are looking for projects for students to weld . 3/4 inch grade 60 rebar works good . You may have to look a bit to find graded rebar . most sell ungraded from mini mills . Cheap fix and wears quite well . I did this on a 850 Case and wore out a set of chains and only broke one bar .
Any special welding procedures such as preheat?

Riwaka

There are a few tracked  machine undercarriage guides that cover the use, maintenance and repair/ upgrade of tracks etc.
lite guide
WELD ON PROCEDURE - titus steel

Depending on what your conditions are like, sometimes it is better to spin the tracks a bit  than load up the driveline too much.

g_man

If you end up deciding on the new pad route, before you buy the new pads and bolts make sure you know how you are going to get the old pads off. When I put new chains on my dozer I did a pad swap. I had to cut the pads off the old chain with a torch. There was no way I could get them off with tools. At least no tools I had access too.

You should also plan on learning how to weld. It takes so time and dedication but it is well worth it if you have equipment.

gg

LeeB

I can weld some, just don't have the welder rigged up since we moved. I'm trying to convince Lindy it will be economical for me to pick up a used portable.  :D

Skeans1

If it was me I'd pick up a gen set then run an inverter off of it.

mike_belben

Pads are most certainly gonna be hardened, and will want a preheat and post heat.  A stick welder and specific rod is pretty likely to be called for.  Im not saying you cant just mig rebar on with ER70S6 and hope for the best but results may vary.  I guess ya gotta weigh how nice the rest of the machine is and how long you plan to keep it.  

My D31 pads are worn way down and im happy about that.  Itll spin instead of breaking a final drive now.  I never met a log or stump i couldnt push with it just the same.  It also leaves a lighter turning footprint in the woods.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Normally dual shield is used as well with pre and post heat.

teakwood

Quote from: g_man on June 24, 2018, 08:55:52 AMThere was no way I could get them off with tools.

With a 1" drive impact pistol they come off pretty nice! You need a big compressor though
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

Quote from: teakwood on June 24, 2018, 11:07:52 AM
Quote from: g_man on June 24, 2018, 08:55:52 AMThere was no way I could get them off with tools.

With a 1" drive impact pistol they come off pretty nice! You need a big compressor though
Not always we've broke sockets, bolts, rounded the nuts off in the rails before sometimes the best way is the blue wrench.

LeeB

Quote from: teakwood on June 24, 2018, 11:07:52 AMWith a 1" drive impact pistol they come off pretty nice! You need a big compressor thoug

Cost for a half decent 1" impact, socket, and a compressor big enough to drive it would just about pay for the labor having it done.

mike_belben

You can make due with a tiny compressor that fills a big storage tank and a big hose to the gun with non check valve couplers.  I had to build a reservoir for my 1" gun to run off a little craftsman compressor and it works perfect.   

A 3/8 hose hundred foot long fills the storage tank.  It uses about 20ft of half inch hose with no checks direct from tank to gun.  Cant tell its not hooked to a monster compressor.  
Praise The Lord

g_man

Quote from: mike_belben on June 24, 2018, 02:21:33 PM
  Cant tell its not hooked to a monster compressor.  
That's a good idea, maybe in a pinch and if you have a lot of patience. You don't get anything for free. Your little compressor can't take many long duty cycles to fill the big tank w/o suffering badly. Then you get a couple big blasts from the big tank and have to wait on the poor little compressor again. There are about 264 or so bolts to take out !!!!
gg

Puffergas

Go for the chainsaw head impact wrench. I think there are a few to chose from.

PORTABLE TWO CYCLE GAS ENGINE IMPACT WRENCH NR-11P
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

garyfg

I just removed two pads on a Case 450B dozer so I could remove the track. I used a 1/2 impact but I had to heat the bolts and nuts. I will have to chase the threads on the nuts and bolts to salvage them. The bolts would start out until the part of the bolt that sticks out past the nut started through the nut hit and that was it with out heat. If I was going to replace all the pads I would cut out the bolts and replace with new just because of the time involv..ed. Took along time to get the eight bolts out.

Gearbox

The pads I did for the 850 Case went to the welding school and came back 4 days later all done . cost me a case of beer for the students . no pre heat just 7014 and pour on the heat 3 passes .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Puffergas on June 24, 2018, 07:15:35 PM
Go for the chainsaw head impact wrench. I think there are a few to chose from.

PORTABLE TWO CYCLE GAS ENGINE IMPACT WRENCH NR-11P
Milwaukee is releasing a 1" M18 Fuel impact next month with 2000 ft-lbs. I don't know what the price point is. Their 1/2" is very impressive. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

The half inch fuel smokes my (now old) snapon CT3850HO.  I cant imagine a battery 1 inch.  

With air guns a 1" will throw nuts off that a 7ft breaker bar and acetylene wont even touch, i stripped a lotta scrapyard trucks.  

The recovery time on the stacked air tanks isnt bad at all.  If its not ready i pick my nose a little longer then try again.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!