iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first break down with the HF mill,fixed no thanks to woodland mills

Started by hunterbuild, March 18, 2012, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moandrich

I like shopping at HF, but when I do I realize you get what you pay for.  They have cheap tools and if I need something only once and a while it is my goto place.  I don't compare them to more expensive tools because it just isn't fair.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

hunterbuild

I have been doing some major sawing with my HF. Get good blades and there is no stopping it. I will figure board ft and post pictures as soon as I finish the job. It has more than paid for itself. It has some bugs but nothing you can't fix.

bandmiller2

When you order machinery from an outfit like HF you must figure your on your own for parts and repairs, if your comfy with that , you can get alot of use out of it.The basic design is good just some of the components lack the quality we expect.The mechanic /machinest will not think twice about modifying the mill to quality parts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 27, 2012, 07:34:50 AM
When you order machinery from an outfit like HF you must figure your on your own for parts and repairs, if your comfy with that , you can get alot of use out of it.The basic design is good just some of the components lack the quality we expect.The mechanic /machinest will not think twice about modifying the mill to quality parts. Frank C.

I agree completely... I buy some stuff from HF with no qualms and some of their stuff I would not buy ever.
The mechanic / machinist will generally know from experience whether or not the quality is good enough or not and will rarely consider price in that decision.

About refusing to sell to a customer... Tsk tsk... Just silly. The customer you help through a tough spot for a few bucks today becomes the guy that makes you his "go to place" tomorrow and the next day and the next... Annnnd the place where he will come for the big  stuff because he knows that you will take care of him. I owned and operated sales and service operations most of my life and I never refused to try to help a customer. For one thing your insurance company WILL NOT lower the cost of your insurance for refusing to sell that item. The solution is simply "clearly" mark the receipt as a non-standard transaction... The customer cannot even prove that he bought the item from you without that receipt. Keep a supply of generic waiver forms handy and have him sign one indicating that you have possible reservations about what he may be thinking of doing. We board horses and no one climbs on a horse unless we have a waiver on file.
If you refuse him then what do you do about the guy that wants to do something similar but doesn't' tell you what he is doing but just buys the part quietly.
Sorry but that all sounds a little too "chicken little" to me.
We were a lot of folks "go to place" for many many years sometimes doing things quite unorthodox and the only lawyers I ever talked to were the ones that were our customers.
I am now 70 years old, I have done a lot of different things and still do. One thing in my life I am grateful about is that I did not waste my life being afraid of "everything". If I was I wouldn't be enjoying all of these horses everyday, I wouldn't own a motorcycle. I would not have half of the experience I have. I may be dropping a few trees one day and up on a roof the next then maybe using an excavator the next.
Now, I don't do just stupid stuff like race motorcycles, or cheat on my wife, or go around slapping Sumo wrestlers but I don't let the fear of every little "possibility" keep me hiding in a corner... And I sure won't refuse to sell a common part to someone that wants to buy one...

Soapbox now back in closet.  ;D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

hunterbuild

Dan_Shade

for this case, I disagree.

Knockoffs/counterfits make profits by stealing ideas from hardworking entreprenuers, then sell low grade crap to consumers looking to save a dollar.

I would have done the same thing Woodland did for 2 reasons:

• I would only sell parts to registered owners, which can assist in reducing theft of machinery/recovery of stolen machinery.
  • I would not sell a "good" component which is specified for my machinery to beef up junk that's a knock off to my design.

I'm all for helping somebody out, but I sort of lump this into complaining when a Pinto can't keep up with a Corvette.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Indiana Robinson

Sorry... also an excellent attitude for going belly-up. I have to ask if you have a retail or service background?
You don't waste money and you don't waste a customer you have already gotten through the door. Or you do not survive unless you are very big to start with. You are either in business first or you will be out of business... It is easy to say what you would do and to take a high sounding stand from an arm chair but another if you are paying the bills out of  what comes in the door and are supporting a large family.
Only a tiny number of businesses survive even 5 years. Over all those years I saw business owner after owner shoot themselves in the foot. I saw an awful lot of them come and quickly go. You can spend a million dollars on advertising but it is what the folks that have been in your business say to the folks that may come into your business that decide if you do well or even survive... There is an old saying that "Nobody ever really won an argument with a customer".
I stand by what I said. I did that dance a lot of years. In fact I did the dance when most guys were afraid to walk out on the floor. I survived. ;D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.

hamish

Why is this issue still being flogged?

Business has changed alot over the years, welcome to the age of best practices and lean manufacturing, and hats off to Josh and Neil.

Economy, margins, et al have changed, and dependant upon your area many consumers are internet savvy(oops are we on the internet?) and can purchase most anything at a lower cost........once again dependant upon ones local.

The times have changed, liability patent infringement etc... are all issues in todays world.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: hamish on May 27, 2012, 05:34:25 PM
Why is this issue still being flogged?

Business has changed alot over the years, welcome to the age of best practices and lean manufacturing, and hats off to Josh and Neil.

Economy, margins, et al have changed, and dependant upon your area many consumers are internet savvy(oops are we on the internet?) and can purchase most anything at a lower cost........once again dependant upon ones local.

The times have changed, liability patent infringement etc... are all issues in todays world.

Funny. You object to it but yet you had to give it a few lashes...  :D  ;D   8)
BTW, I am not out of touch. I have all of my marbles except the ones I have miss laid somewhere.  ;D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

Thank You Sponsors!