iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dose Your Wife Work With You ?

Started by Autocar, July 22, 2010, 05:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Here's a few storys for you, my wife helped me in the woods and saw mill for years and here's just a few funny now but not at the time storys. I was cutting veneer white oak and she was driving the skidder and busted a hyd. line and drove out of the woods to the landing just when the skidder quit moving I forget anymore how many gallions it took plus we were using a yard for the landing and I cleaned that mess up oil everywhere.  :D Other storys she would run the mill and I would off bear. She just never got the ear on how hard you could push the feed lever,and short fused I would be barking like a coon dog faster faster  :D and then turn the log and some times you needed to slow down a little ,you can guess it I would be barking slow down. A number of times she would climb out of the cab and up the drive towards the house she would go. Me right behind her saying Iam sorry come on back and she would ! Now for all the young guys heres a lesson , sorrys only go so far !  :D One night she craweld out of the cab and went to the house and it has probably been twenty years and she hasn't been back to the mill shed. This past winter she did say something about driving the skidder again. Shes a good girl probably better then I deserve but what a ride we have had the last 46 years  ;D
Bill

treefarmer87

mine has helped me a few times, but the guys @ the woodyard tease me and say shes boss :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

mad murdock

Pretty good story there Autocar :D  I taught my wife to run a cat when we logged a couple acres on our place a few years back, she learned firsthand that pulling chokers wans't as easy as it looked! ;) I never could get her to run a saw though, she would see me sweating like a hog, and opted for staying on the cat, at least pulling chokers was only at the beginning and end of a drag, and she did'nt have to trip around in the brush all the time like I was running the saw. She just did'nt get the rush I do when I see a tree fall down.  I guess I am just a little sick in the head that way! ???
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

My wife helps me on the sawmill once in a while.

Says she also has to take care of the house and yard!  And she does a good job of it too.

She runs the mill pretty good, but is usually quite nervous and opts to off-bear!

I've got a guy that off-bears when she can't be there.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tug Hill Walt

'Course the obvious reply is that my wife has been against me ever since the day she said I do and He don't.   :D   Truthfully we work together on everything except dropping trees.

JohnG28

Autocar, I have learned well already how far Im sorry goes, being a guy its one of those sayings I think a lot of us learn well, and quickly.  Ill be getting married in just over two months, and am lucky to have found a woman to put up with me.  I cant however get her into the woods with me, the saws scare her a bit, and doesnt interest her, but she does let me do as I do without a fuss, and thats plenty for me.  Congrats on your many years together.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

okmulch

My wife has been  working out in the fields with me  for 5 and a half years. She had never ran a loader before in her life. She has learned well and can drive one with the best of any body around. There are certain things she just will not do and that is fine.  The one thing she does do is in a 100 acre field we are cleaning up she will park her truck or the loader in the one spot that we need to move the grinder or some other piece of equipment.  It never fails. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

plasticweld

My wife worked with me before we were married and then after the kids were bigger, she drove skidder and worked in the yard bucking up.  We do always share one story about her working with me that is good for a few laughs.

I building a road with the dozer and it slipped off the bank, I was cutting rotten shale and it just kind of floated off the edge, normally not a big deal except that it was on the edge of a deep gorge; about 40 feet deep sold rock and stream bed.  Linda at this time had run my John Deere 440A for months yet insisted on me going over the controls with her. She said she did not really pay attention what did what, it was kind of all muscle memory and seeing as she had my life in her hands she was concerned that she would mess up. I tied a chain and choker on a tree about 20 feet above the road that I had cut so it would pull the dozer straight on to the road and not at angle where it might just slide. The machine had no winch just a hitch and this is what I hooked the other slide to.

Simple enough when I give you the signal honey you just put a little pressure on the winch line and I will be able to back right on to the road. I climbed into my 450 C and eased it into reversed signaled my wife. She gave it throttle wound me up on to the road. For some reason she did not stop and continued to suck me up over the bank and into the tree I had used as a pulling point. At this time I hollered to her stop, the trip over the bank was a bit on the abrupt side seeing as I had cut about 3 feet of bank to make the road. Instead of just stopping the winch so it would lock she released the winch and sent me back over the bank, across the road and down the bank to what seemed like certain death. She then figured out at the last minute how to lock the brake then sending me crashing into the dash of the dozer and over the hood and on to the ground, at this point either from the close call with death or the absurdity of the situation I broke out into laugher and just shook my head; she was near tears. I picked up myself and hobbled on my now very sore legs and knees back up to the skidder to go over the controls one more time. She would have gladly had me find someone else but she was there and I figured she had the hang of it now. On the second attempt she did just fine. 25 years later we still talk and joke about her helping me out any time I am stuck on the job...Bob

Radar67

She did today, and has in the past, but there is a pretty wide gap in between times.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Randy88

MY wife does it all, along with me has for over 25 years now along with our kids who grew up in carseats in the cabs of our equipment.   We were too broke to hire anybody so we just did it ourselves and now doubtfull if anybody would put up with us so we still work together every day.   I had to force her to get her cdl years back because I thought she would like to drive a semi and the fact I hated to is beside the point but since then she's done most of my driving and delivering equipment and she loves it, guess it was just gettting over driving something that big on the road but now it doesn't matter how big and oversized it is she does just fine.     As far as funny stories, there are too many to list but around here its just another day so it doesn't matter anymore.   Her opinion is if you want perfection then do it yourself if you want help shut up and you get what you get.   I tell my kids that since I've done a great job of teaching you what poverty is like when you go out on you own maybe you'll get the chance to find out what prosperiety is like.   

Mark K

My wife worked with me in the woods and on the farm up until we had our kids. She then got a job but still takes care of my bookwork. When we first got married she wanted to learn how to drive skidder, fall tree's and run the mill. She knows how to drive skidder and can run the mill better than I can but I haven't taught her how to fall tree's. I don't know if I'm afraid that she will get hurt or she will show me up. Maybe when the kids get older she will come back to the woods.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Bruce_A

I must say you people are lucky.  I could never get anything done when my wife went to the woods with me.  There is just no way I can keep my mind on work when she is around.  This is my third try at married life and will be 32 years this September with this one.  I still can't keep my mind on work if she is near.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Bruce_A on July 23, 2010, 04:31:10 PM
I must say you people are lucky.  I could never get anything done when my wife went to the woods with me.  There is just no way I can keep my mind on work when she is around.  I still can't keep my mind on work if she is near.

Me too---------------------------back when I was ayoung man anyways. ::) ;D ::) ;D :D :D :D

Bruce

Randy88

Bruce, are you 32 years old or have you been married 32 years?   Maybe your thinking of it the wrong way, instead, if she is around take some time off and have a little fun while working and then go back to work, it makes it kinda handy as they say and that way you let her know she's important to have around, use a little imagination and creativity and who knows maybe she'll like to help out.  We've been together for over 25 years and thats how its worked for us, mix pleasure and work so to speak it makes life more interesting and convient.  You've heard the old joke where the guy is complaining about how he used to get it four or five times and now its down to only two times--------a day.   My wife told that joke at a contractor meeting once and some of the wives laughed and said yea right I was thinking a month and a couple of them said dream on maybe a year, anyhow I always thought it was funny.    

The point being if you like to spend time together it makes things go better and everyones happy, its not really what or where your at or what your doing as long as you spend time together thats important, and if that fails it helps to find someone that likes to do the kinds of things you do and as she will tell you she's right and your wrong, now that thats established things will always go better.    My wife once told me it didn't matter what we did as long as we did it together, that was over 25 years ago, she has since rephrased it a little after standing in ankle deep mud in freezing weather fixing a dozer track stuck in the mud in the middle of the night in freezing rain, now its, it at least has to be warm some of the time and when I'm cold and wet I get to go home and when it scares me your going to do that job and don't yell at me for breaking anything, otherwise it doesn't matter.   As long as I know the rules upfront it makes it easier for me anyhow. She's told me over the years if we didn't work together we wouldn't be married anymore, I've never been brave enough to ask why, I've never really done anything right before I just figured she took pitty on me and figured I'd really do somthing stupid or starve to death and thats why she's stayed with me all these years, I can guarantee you its not for the money and I keep telling her she married me for my debts so to make sure she doesn't  get all of my debts  I'll never divorce her, she tells me if I did divorce her I had to keep all the kids myself so that'll never happen.   I'm dad and all the rest she takes care of and tells me whats going on, and I plan on keeping it that way, I've even got teenage daughters and I find I need a translator to communicate with them and my wife is the translator.    As they say whatever system works, right?

Roxie

Like I told Cowboy Bob.....at least someone will be there to dial 911. 
Say when

Corley5

Quote from: Roxie on July 23, 2010, 06:36:21 PM
Like I told Cowboy Bob.....at least someone will be there to dial 911. 

I've had Dee come along and sit in the truck just in case  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tlandrum

i just bought my wife a single axle truck. its a chevy kodiak with 18ft log bed and she seems to like driving it.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Magicman

I went and asked the Magicwoman if she ever goes on a saw job to help me.  I knew that I didn't remember any times, but I asked just in case.

Well, she remembered that the answer was no.  But she will help "count the money".   :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

My wife (of almost 43 years) helps but not with any equipment. She will not try running any machine out of the car and kitchen. She however does plenty else in other endeavors. We have 4.5 acres of blueberries and she picks to sell, she also has a market garden that she does run a rototiller and does all planting, weeding and harvesting and then takes the harvest to market to sell. But chainsaws, sawmills or splitters, NO!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Norm

Patty grew up with a dad that believed that girls did womens' work and men did men's work. When we bought our farm many years ago she had never run any machinery bigger than a pickup. I insisted she learn how to run all of the different equipment and told her she can't break it any better than I can. :D

I started her off in the smaller farm tractors and when she got some confidence moved her up to the next level.

Now she runs everything from the trackhoe to the largest ag tractor. She's not real fast but does a great job and even puts up with my bs.  ;D

ljmathias

Wow, I need one of those!  (the dozer, not the driver... ;D) Got a bunch of land to clear and doing it one stump at a time is slow going... :(

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

terrifictimbersllc

Terrificwoman helps by going to work every day so I can do what I do.  I'm more like Jack in the beanstalk who sells the cow and brings home beans.  The more beans I get the more my free space fills up with sawing and logging equipment.  8) 8) 8)  And she helps me have to send more of my beans to the IRS.   >:( >:( >:(  Oh well.  But seriously she gave me a day's work as a birthday present once and I called it in on Labor Day, 2008.  Here she is on her holiday.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Norm,

What did you do to deserve such a fine partner???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

After reading all the post I believe we all ended up with some pretty fine women  ;)
Bill

Ernie

Jan works as a District nurse all week.  Weekends, we work together on our bit of dirt and we both love it.  We must be doing something right today is our 39th wedding anniversary and she is still putting up with me.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!