iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grumpy old men

Started by pineywoods, May 04, 2010, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

It has been said on here that pineywoods gets involved in a lot of projects for an ole retired fart. Truth is, I do get involved in a lot of worthwhile projects, but I have a lot of help. I'm retired and hang out with a bunch of ole retired farts. Somewhere along the way, we got labeled as the grumpy old men, after the 2 main characters in the movie by that title.
I guess the name fits, we get in each others face at times but still remain the best of friends. The size of the bunch varies, sometimes as many as a dozen, with a wide variety of talents. A few aren't even retired yet. I thought I might post some of the projects as an encouragement to others to get off your duff and do something useful.

Here's the latest project
It was a coming home surprise to one of us who has been in the hospital for 2 months recovering from colon cancer surgery. The structure is pine, the floor 2 inch cypress, and the railing and trim eastern red cedar, all from donated logs. roof is metal.

This one for an older gent who needed a place to keep his "stuff" out of the weather. two by six framing with 1X12 board and batten siding, from yard logs, metal roof, dirt floor.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Piney,when we get old, grumpy and eating are all we have left. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mooseherder

You guys probably have a great time putting these structures together. ;)
Looks like the Grumpy old men got a soft spot for helping people out.
Good on you guys.  The world needs more of what you got. :)

Norm

Way to  go guys!

We should all be so fortunate to have neighbors like that. :)

Texas Ranger

Shoot, thought you were gonna talk about me and DanG.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

submarinesailor

No, you two don't fit that category.  You belong in the GRUMPIER old man category or maybe the GRUMPIEST. ??? ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grumpy old man Bruce  ;D ;D ;D

Ernie

I maintain that I am not getting grumpier merely less tolerant of the increasing number of fools in the world
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

WH_Conley

When I saw the title I thought somebody was talking about me again. ;D

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Ernie though.
Bill

WDH

Wayne, that is first class.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

easymoney

it would be hard to stay grumpy if some of my neighbore would come over and build me a porch like that while i was gone from home.
  of course some would complain that i was not big enough or that it was in the wrong place. some people cant be pleased.

Planman1954

Hey fellas. Piney is settin' the pace for everybody! He's a wealth of knowledge and ingenuity, and has a a helping spirit that is contagious. Way to go Pineywoods! Oh yeah, and he ain't really so grumpy.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

pineywoods

here's a couple more projects that turned out OK. We won't mention the ones that flopped  ;D

One of our bunch built a new house, 2 car garage which promptly got filled up with tools and other good stuff. So we built him this shop. Mostly post and beam, metal siding, metal roof, concrete floor. Sadly, he has developed alzheimers, already can't remember how to use most of his tools. This is a guy who has built 3 homes and a business with his own hands.

A local sawmiller moved his fixed operation to a new location. Needed someplace to keep tools, parts, etc and an office. Grumpy old men plus 3 days = one sawmill office/shed. All cypress except the porch posts, which are knotty cedar.
WDH will probably recognize it, he's been there.

Then there's always a bunch of these. Lots of elderly poor folks in this area. Word has gotten around that there's a bunch of grumpy old men who can fix you up. Pressure treated 2X6 pine and exterior plywood.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

WDH

Quote from: pineywoods on May 05, 2010, 09:41:43 PM
WDH will probably recognize it, he's been there.

That is a fact, and I was most impressed.  Y'all represent the best in people and neighborhood.  I am proud to be associated with such fine people, even if it is on an Internet Forum.  You are inspiring.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Its not the old grumpy guys that make me nervous its those gladhanding salesman types you meet for ten minutes and their like a long lost cousin.Good work Piney theirs nothing more rewarding than working with a good bunch of guys doing good,or even getting into mischef.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Quote from: Texas Ranger on May 05, 2010, 10:01:51 AM
Shoot, thought you were gonna talk about me and DanG.

Naw, what's the old saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks"
I'm older than either one of you, you'll have to ask the wife about the grumpy part.  ::)

pineywoods

This  is one of our more successful projects. Nestled in the rolling hills of north Louisiana is a place called Camp Harris. Originally a rural school, it was closed down and offered for sale. A group of churches in north La and south Ark went together and bought the entire property, and turned it into a well equipped church camp/retreat. Over time, the military surplus double decker bunks in the dorms had gotten in sad shape. We got volunteered to build replacement bunks. Made 28 of these. They had to be stout enough to withstand a bunch of rowdy kids. Posts are 3X6 pine, rails are 2X6. All put together with deck screws and gorilla glue. Finish is dark poly stain.
Here's the first one headed for the paint shop

We needed the dollies, the bunks weighed over 200 pounds

Delivery required 3 trailer loads

Norm

Boy you folks are always busy, good job! :)

Magicman

It's all about "giving back".  Everything that you give back has a way of coming back many times over.  One way or the other.....It just happens.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Pineywoods, you set the bar high. 

Sometimes my daughter says "you know, he's not as grumpy as he looks" 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

cornbread

Good work.

It is my belief that no good deed will go un notated.

No doudt there will be some grumpy old men's names in the book of life and you shale reap your rewords there, but until then thank you for your work from Alabama.

Magicman

We are already gearing up to go and spend a week helping our tornado victims.  After the major cleanup is completed, there will be a huge rebuilding effort.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Elderly couple  lives in an  older mobile home. Kitchen floor (plywood) worn just about all the way through in a couple of places. Grumpy old men had a weekend work party. Used some of my 1X4 oak lumber and my shop to make a bunch of tongue and groove flooring. Stapled it down right over the plywood. Finished with satin poly. Pic after sanding, before finish applied.

Another similar project is still in the planning stage.

WDH

Wayne,

That was a fine thing to do.  You grumpy old men are getting a reputation.

pineywoods

Grumpy old men are at it again. Neighbor bought a new tractor. No place to keep it under cover, too busy working day job to build something. Grump old men to the rescue.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!