iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making sausage

Started by Raider Bill, August 01, 2016, 02:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I'm getting into sausage making. First batch of 15 lbs about did my kitchen aide in due to heat so I'm looking into something with a bit more power.

thinking about this unit?

https://www.amazon.com/STX-INTERNATIONAL-STX-3000-TF-Turboforce-Attachment/dp/B0012KJBR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470076809&sr=8-1&keywords=STX+INTERNATIONAL+STX-3000-TF+Turboforce+3-Speed+Electric+with+3+Cutting+Blades%2C+3+Grinding+Plates%2C+Kubbe+Attachment+and+Sausage+Stuffing+Tubes

I'll be making Italian links. Last batch turned out great but it was a long day doing it in small batches.

Couple things I learned...

get the meat COLD!
Use less salt,
get the meat COLD!
use more fennel,
Get the meat cold!!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

We have one of the grinders you posted the url for, slow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

21incher

That looks great. I have a old grinder like the one you posted and is is fairly slow, but will run all day. I think that people that make large batches of sausage grind their meat and then use a seperate stuffer so the meat does not get mushed up from the pressure on the tube keeping it in the grinder auger to long and changing the texture. With the peppers coming in in my garden I had better get grinding also. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Mooseherder

Another thing that helps to keep from mushing is to prime the head.
Make sure the knife and plate aren't too loose.  Hand force should suffice.
Bump the switch while dropping in a piece or two and turn off right away.  If you have mush, tighten the head.  You could also change to a medium or larger grind plate.  A nice steady feed rate with cut pieces that fall into the auger easily also keep things moving properly without heating the head.  Turn the motor off if you aren't able to keep feeding.  Sometimes you need three hands but you only have two.  Commercial Grinders raise the temperature of the meat from Cooler temp of 34 degrees to 50 degrees during the process.  Higher if grinding more than twice. I'm not sure how those home models work but I've been looking at buying one at Gander Mountain also.
Hope that one works out good for you.  Let us know.

LeeB

Check LEM Products. They have really good prices on refurbished units. We make sausage a while hog at a  time.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

My son has the Cabelas 1 hp and it works good for grinding but not so great for stuffing IMO.
I dont know who makes this machine for cabelas.
I tried my wifes Kitchen aid and nearly killed it, she wasnt happy and very slow.
I think a separate stuffer is the way to go..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

Definitely on the separate stuffer. I have a 5 pound crank type and it will stuff 5 pounds in about 2 minutes. It takes longer to thread the casing than it does to fill it. Grizzly has good prices on them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DDW_OR

I also am thinking of making sausage, then smoking it in an old metal fridge i have.
when i watch the "how its made" type of shows i saw that ice was added to the mixing process to keep the sausage COLD.
"let the machines do the work"

Raider Bill

I got my butts just about frozen before I cut them in chunks then back in the freezer before grinding and then again for mixing and then stuffing. between that and using a kitchen aide it was a LONG day.

I also kept my pans in the freezer.

Quote from: DDW_OR on August 02, 2016, 02:21:02 PM
I also am thinking of making sausage, then smoking it in an old metal fridge i have.
when i watch the "how its made" type of shows i saw that ice was added to the mixing process to keep the sausage COLD.

One of the best smokers I've ever had was a old fridge.

WV Sawmiller

I have never tried stuffing my sausages. I just make bulk venison sausage. I grind and mix it in a big manual mixer, I thin it uses a #32 blade. I mix 4 lbs of venison and one lb of ground pork and seasoning from a local sporting good store. I think one pouch makes 12 lbs of sausage and 2 pouches per box for about $5.

I use an ice cream scoop to make balls, put 4 to a vacuum bag, squeeze them flat into 4 patties the vacuum and seal. That works well for the 2 of us. Usually cook 2 for breakfast if just us since my wife prefers bacon.

Our 3 granddaughters spent the night and my wife fixed them French toast for breakfast. She served them and Abbie the 8 y/o middle granddaughter looked and asked "Where's the sausage." My wife said she didn't fix any and Abbie burst into tears so Becky relented and fixed her some.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bricklayer51

We have been making venison sausage for 30 plus years always stuffed with the grinder. Got a stuffer from lems 5 years ago paid for it self the first time we used it.

sbishop

Do you have your own pork? if not, have you thought about buying ground pork from a butcher then making your sausages? I get my ground pork from Costco just under $2 lbs...saves the marriage...haha

Raider Bill

Wild Bill and I buy a couple hogs a year from the Amish. They kill, cut and wrap to order. Works out to about $1.19 lb.
They only make bulk country sausage (which I don't eat a lot of) but I'm going to ask if they will put my Italian seasonings in this year instead of theirs then we'll put it in links ourselves. For the amount of sausage we normally get from them I'll diffidently need a stuffer.

They have a huge Hobart grinder and a band saw that is run off a water wheel and cables running through trees to the building due to no power.

Personally I've only made 1 batch of 15 lb. I bought the boston butts at the grocery for .99 lb on sale. It came out so good I gave away about 10lbs bragging so now I'm out.

Carson-saws

You forgot 1 thing....."get the meat cold"  ;D
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

sbishop

That would be great if they could grind and mix up the meat....even if they would only grind it.

I've got a sausage stuffer (15lbs) and I use it once in a while....but the work that is involved in grinding plus the cost of a good grinder, for me its easier to buy the meat already grinded up...and go from there!

just my 2 cents...good luck and don't forgot to post pictures!!!

DDW_OR

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 02, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
..............One of the best smokers I've ever had was a old fridge.

i got 3 ways i could use with the fridge to do the smoking
Fire and wet wood
Propane and wet wood
Electric hot plate and wet wood.
I think i will use the Electric. could even add an auger to use smoker pellets

looking to do a fishing trip to the West coast, then smoke the fish when i get back.

the local hardwood i have are: Maple, Vine Maple, alder, apple, cherry, plumb, Madrona.
i have never heard of anyone using Oak, got that too.

i know to remove the bark before using it for smoking. 

also have the Little Cheif and a brinkmann smoker. i wrapped both with the water heater fiberglass blanket.

I cannot use Pork since i am Kosher.

Raider Bill

I took out the plastic insides and lined mine with wood, tipped it up side down so the freezer part acted sort of like a baffle. Had a separate firebox out the back.

I cook more with oak that anything. Also I generally leave the bark on.

scgargoyle

I must be doing something wrong; I've been making and stuffing sausage with my KitchenAid for years. I make 5-7 lbs. at a time, as I like to try different types. Favorites include andouille, hot Italian, breakfast sausage, and a Greek chicken sausage that my wife has gotten seriously addicted to. Nothing better than making andouille, smoking it on your own smoker, and making a big batch of gumbo with it!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DDW_OR

Quote from: scgargoyle on August 06, 2016, 06:12:32 AM
..... a Greek chicken sausage that my wife has gotten seriously addicted to.........

can you share the Recipe  food1

submarinesailor

Quote from: DDW_OR on August 06, 2016, 12:59:41 PM
..... a Greek chicken sausage that my wife has gotten seriously addicted to.........
can you share the Recipe  food1

X2 ;D ;D

scgargoyle

Chicken Spinach Feta Sausage

5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs  (Takes about 7-1/2 to 8 lbs. bone-in)

Two 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed- press out excess water

1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup powdered milk

2 TBL dried marjoram

2 TBL black pepper

2 TBL minced fresh garlic

2 TBL paprika

1 TBL salt

1 TBL onion powder

1/2 tsp cayenne ( I use 1 tsp)

5 tsp white wine

Cut chicken into chunks that will fit in your grinder, and freeze partially. Grind on a small plate. Mix in remaining ingredients thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight, and stuff into casings or shape patties. I grind the spinach and feta in with the chicken as the cheap spinach I buy is kind of 'chunky'. We enjoy the patties with cooked onions and peppers and cheese on a nice bun. You want to oil the pan or grill, as there is no added fat in the sausage.

Raider Bill

I must be doing something wrong; I've been making and stuffing sausage with my KitchenAid for years. I make 5-7 lbs. at a time, as I like to try different types. Favorites include andouille, hot Italian, breakfast sausage, and a Greek chicken sausage that my wife has gotten seriously addicted to. Nothing better than making andouille, smoking it on your own smoker, and making a big batch of gumbo with it!

I wonder if it has something to do with the age of unit?
Mine is 3-4 years old. Lot's of plastic and light weight.
My Dad's which I gave to Billy is a lot heavier than mine and is at least 25 - 30years old.
Accessories that used to be made out of metal are now plastic.

During the grinding and stuffing process mine got hot enough you wouldn't want to keep your hand on it long.
I dunno....

Magicman

Are you comparing the same models?  There are two sizes of "homeowner" mixers and then there is the much larger model that is almost professional grade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

That could be. Side to side they look the same but weight wise there is a substantial difference.

scgargoyle

Ours is 33 years old, and built like a tank. I also knead bread dough in large batches, and it just keeps goin'.

Thank You Sponsors!