iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031 won't start.

Started by ahiggins1, October 19, 2009, 02:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahiggins1

Hello,
I just bought an old Stihl 031 from a friend.  It has been sitting a couple years without being ran.  He put a new fuel line and filter in it.  It absolutely won't start.  I pulled the fuel line off the carb and blew a little air in the tank and gas flows through it.  If I spray carb cleaner directly into the carb it will start but die immediately.  I took the carb off and took it apart and sprayed carb cleaner through as much of it as I could.  It all looked really clean inside.  Needle valve looked good.  Put it back together and still acted just the same.  Do I need a carb kit or does anyone have any other ideas?  I ran the two adjustment screws all the way in and backed them back out the same amount - about 3 turns.
My buddy claims the saw ran great the last time he used it - about 2 years ago.
Thanks,
Andy

GASoline71

Did you check for spark?  Early 031's are notorious for ignition issues.

Also... never, ever use carb cleaner as "starting fluid".  It's a solvent... solvent in 2stroke = bad ju-ju.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Hilltop366

Two years ago is the answer to your question. the carb is pluged / dryed out / or varnshed up clean it make sure all holes are cleaned out, use a cleaner or Wd40 to make sure every thing is clear and install new kit. a new fuel filter and check fuel line.

bandmiller2

Andy, the 031 is a classic,you need a carb kit.Last time i looked Stens[after market small engine parts] sells points and cond. for it.I still have mine I bought new in 76 it fed my mill and kept me warm for 20 yrs. still a good saw.Be carefull most had no chain brake.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Anouther thing if your not going to use the saw for a week or so dump the fuel and run dry,that will avoid many problems wit crap fuel. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ahiggins1

Thanks for the replies guys.  I took the carb apart again and sprayed carb cleaner all through it and blew it out with air.  Put it back together and it started!!!  It ran pretty good for about 5 minutes then at full throttle it started pulsing up and down.  It kept dieing but would start right back up.  I am thinking a carb kit will cure it, but it was nice just to know it will run.
My dad has an 032 that we have had for years and have cut probably a 100 cords of wood or more with.  This fall it is doing the same thing with the pulsing up and down and dieing.  Probably a carb kit will fix it too.  That 032 has been a fantastic saw, so I am hoping we can get running good again.
Andy

ahiggins1

Put the carb kit in the 031 and it is running pretty good again.  While I was at it I went ahead and put in an electronic ignition module and did away with the points and condenser.  Filed the chain good and it is sawing fine.  Hope it will still be a good old saw.
Thanks for the input guys,
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!