iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding Hinges for Large Barn Doors

Started by Glenn1, January 16, 2016, 08:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I am adding some large doors to our barn.  I decided to use hinges instead of a top track as I believe it will be easier to open and close.  The opening is 18' wide so each door will be 9' wide by 12' tall.  I have read that door movement is calculated by multiplying the weight of the door (440 lbs) times the width in feet.  That would come out to 3960 lbs. 

I have found some extra heavy duty hinges that will work, but they are close to $200 per strap hinge. Below is their chart for calculations. 

http://www.hardwaresource.com/images/products/886002-Weight_Chart.jpg

I have found less expensive strap hinges  that will hold "140 lbs for each hinge. I am wondering if they will be sufficient to hold these massive doors?  Cost is only $18 per hinge which makes me a bit concerned. 

http://www.barndoorhinge.com/Barn-Strap-Hinge-Heavy-Duty-20.html

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Glenn, I have a friend who is a welder. He went to the scrap yard, bought what scrap he needed for hinges and built his own.
He did a good job and came out cheap. I wish I had pictures but I don't.
His hinges looked just like old barn hinges. He had 4 per door.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scouter Joe

Gate hinges are fairly heavy duty . They may work out quite a bit cheaper . scouter Joe

ayerwood

I have some massive doors on my shop and looked all over the internet for something heavy duty enough to work. One of my openings is 22x12 and the other is 18x16.  I ended up going with my local welding outfit to feel confident in the hinge strength.  I got 12 5'x4" for the large bay openings and 6 3'x4" strap hinges for my loft barn doors. Nothing artsy, just squared tips.  Cost me around $1300 for all the hardware and worth every penny. 

Magicman

Will your door facing/post hold that much unbalanced load?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Glenn1

Quote from: Magicman on January 16, 2016, 09:28:25 PM
Will your door facing/post hold that much unbalanced load?

That is a very good question.  I am using 6 x 6 but I don't know how to know before trying it.  Any suggestion?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Kbeitz

For super heavy doors i go to the junkyard and buy leaf springs.
They make great hinges. Just cut the main leaf in haft.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Glenn1

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2016, 09:57:20 PM

It seems that the door would be difficult to move and then spring shut.  Can  you explain how to mount them and how they work?

kensfarm

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 16, 2016, 08:25:33 PM
Glenn, I have a friend who is a welder. He went to the scrap yard, bought what scrap he needed for hinges and built his own.

A welder I paid to do multi jobs..  he used 2 square pieces.. then small thick square tubing cut into 6 short.. use a solid rod that fit nicely in the square tubing.. alternate sides.. spot weld while round in.  We built a nice size hinge for the 50ft tower of my wind turbine.  I lowered the whole tower down w/ ropes connected to tractor FEL.  I had a geared setup to a 5hp pm dc motor.. that bad boy was heavy.

Gary_C

Quote from: Glenn1 on January 16, 2016, 09:49:04 PM

That is a very good question.  I am using 6 x 6 but I don't know how to know before trying it.  Any suggestion?

Yes, don't try it. A solid 6 x 6 does not have enough bending strength to resist that side load. You will need an I beam or square tubing plus having the uprights set in concrete and braced. A laminated beam with multiple layers would be better than solid wood post.

Pay particular attention to the clearances at the hinge pins. Not only will you have significant wear, but any slop in the pins will be difficult to deal with.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

timberlinetree

The tobacco barns around here have heavy doors. I have a few you could have or try eBay? We will be down that way next week end. Just pm us.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Corley5

Swinging doors don't work well in snow country unless they swing in and then you lose a bunch of space.  Shouldn't be an issue in NC  ;D :)
  What about using more of the $18.00 ones ???  Use six instead of four ???  Maybe even eight to make up for their lighter load rating.  To help support the load what about adding a wheel for the door to roll on ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Glenn1

Quote from: timberlinetree on January 17, 2016, 07:32:03 AM
The tobacco barns around here have heavy doors. I have a few you could have or try eBay? We will be down that way next week end. Just pm us.

I will try to find the parts needed locally "with all the excellent suggestions" but I do appreciate the offer.   You are very welcome to come by if you have the time.

WV Sawmiller

Glenn,

Can you add a roller at the bottom of the door to help hold up the weight on the end opposite the hinges? You can buy them at TSC and such that swivel in all directions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: Glenn1 on January 16, 2016, 10:07:48 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2016, 09:57:20 PM

It seems that the door would be difficult to move and then spring shut.  Can  you explain how to mount them and how they work?

I use 3 parts (4 counting the large bolt) to make one hinge.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

My barn originally had large hinged doors that I changed to sliders which I find easier, what about sliding doors don't you like?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Glenn1

Quote from: gspren on January 17, 2016, 08:41:46 PM
   My barn originally had large hinged doors that I changed to sliders which I find easier, what about sliding doors don't you like?

Each door is 9' wide by 12' tall and weigh around 350 lbs when green.  I do not know if I will be able to push the doors.  How big are your doors and do you have any trouble moving them?

gspren

On my one pole building I have 12' X 12' doors, each door, opening is 24' wide and no problem. Get track and quality rollers that are designed for that weight or more.

Glenn1

Hi Howard,

I took your advice and ordered some 10" pneumatic wheels filled with foam so I shouldn't get a flat.  This should definitely take the pressure off the hinges.  Great suggestion!

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 17, 2016, 04:56:39 PM
Glenn,

Can you add a roller at the bottom of the door to help hold up the weight on the end opposite the hinges? You can buy them at TSC and such that swivel in all directions.

Don_Papenburg

I have a 2400 lb door on the back of my shed that is on double Cannonball track and rollers. works just fine , takes a bit to get it started.  The door is 26'x16' with a 4x6" steel frame and 5/8" plywood sheathing.
Might want to google  Ibeamdoor they make an extruded aluminum track with aluminum roller frame that has 4 wheels supporting the door and 2wheels running horizontal to guide the roller truck inside the track . It is very smooth  Rated a 3000 lb .  I saw it at the Peoria farm show this year .  I think Borkholder building are using this track set up.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Glenn1 on January 18, 2016, 09:25:41 PM
Hi Howard,

I took your advice and ordered some 10" pneumatic wheels filled with foam so I shouldn't get a flat.  This should definitely take the pressure off the hinges.  Great suggestion!

Great. Hope that works for you. I have seen people use them and if they didn't  have good level ground they'd pour a circular concrete track for the roller to run on.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberlinetree

Thank you sir. These are what the hinges on barns around here look like. I think some of these are hand made and 100 yrs old. That tire should help,have seen them on gates before.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Magicman

In Reply #14 Kbeitz was explaining how to straighten and make superduty hinges like that out of auto leaf springs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Around here I've never seen a barn door with level enough ground in front to use a wheel, and then there is snow and ice. I have seen barn doors both hinged and sliding where the bottom 12 or so inches were hinged so you could swing them up and hook to the main door to get clearance over uneven ground.

petefrom bearswamp

My pole barn doors are only 9x10 high full  1" Hemlock with battens and are on sliders from TSC.
They roll very easily and I cant believe another 2' would make that much difference.
Dont have to worry bout the wind blowing them around either.
Kbeitz, how do you make the bolt holes?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Don_Papenburg

Drill them slow or use the Bridgeport and a ballend mill tool with a slow  self feed.
cutting oil helps.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kbeitz

Think I'm a little late with my picture. Sorry... i forgot.
It's hard to show what it really looks like. This is one made just useing two parts instead of three.

Leaf spring hinge...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Glenn1

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 21, 2016, 06:59:22 AM
Think I'm a little late with my picture. Sorry... i forgot.
It's hard to show what it really looks like. This is one made just useing two parts instead of three.

I appreciate your effort, thanks!

Leaf spring hinge...

Glenn1

Today, we put together 22 hinges.  The steel is 3/8" by 3" wide.  We inserted  a 5/8" steel pin into a 1" tube with a 3/16" wall.  These hinges in conjunction with a 10" fixed wheel on the bottom of the door should do the trick.

smoothED

I make mine almost like that, more like a piano hinge. 1" and 1 1/4"pipe,and drill holes in the 1 1/4" for grease fittings

Thank You Sponsors!