iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol Chainsaw mill,from tree to building

Started by richhiway, September 12, 2017, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

If you have been following the Logosol saga, I started to build the 10X16 building that I have been sawing the lumber for. Here I am cutting a half lap joint.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

If you work,especially with wood,don't leave home without one. Or two.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

To cut a half lap set the depth of your saw to half the thickness of your beams,make multiple cuts to your desired width and knock out the pieces. A sharp hatchet works good to clean up the cut or you can use a chisel.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

The deck uses 16ft Hemlock 6X6 skids,16ft and 10Ft Hemlock rim joists. 2X6 pine joists 2 ft on center. I am using a plan and it calls for 3/4 plywood subfloor. Other then the windows and the roofing,I cut everything else on the Logosol. In this pic I have the top plate on the ladders ready to install.  When working alone use a lot of screwed on stops to be your helper. Also make sure you brace all your posts to keep everything plumb and square as you go.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Ratchet straps are handy for a lot of things. Here I am pulling the posts into alignment. If your cuts are accurate it makes it easier to keep everything square as you go.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Again, if your cuts are all accurate you will end up with a square,tight fitting joint.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I am a slow carpenter but I did get the frame up and the braces and nailers in today. Tomorrow is a loft and framing out the door opening. The reason the deck is that color is I wanted to get a finish on it because this is a weekend project and it will be exposed to the weather. The lumber company had a gallon of floor and deck "mystery color" for 10 bucks. Ha!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Out pf order but I found a pic of the floor.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Loft in,started the siding this weekend.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

justallan1

richhiway

Rained Saturday so not much progress,put some more siding on today. There is enough siding on now to tighten things up so next weekend I am going to start on the rafters. Picked up two $2.00 windows at a yard sale. So far the chainsaw lumber is working out good.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

thecfarm

Looks good.
I am a slow builder too. I was building the Women Cave when we was selling veggies. Had a lot of talkers said they could do it quicker.  ::)  Only was able to tell a few,grab a hammer and show me than. But they was always busy and could not show me.  ???  Maybe if they was cutting the lumber from stump to lumber they would understand,but they still would not.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

richhiway

Two dollar yard sale window. Ten cent chainsaw milled pine 1 by for the frame.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Check out those nice Logosol cut 2X6. Started on the rafters today. I won't go into detail as there are good vids on youtube to show you how to use a speed square to cut a rafter. I use a phone app or there are online tools that let you enter your building dimensions,and they give you the rafter layout. Also the speed square comes with a rafter layout booklet.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Once you have a rafter cut correctly and tested for fit,use it as a pattern for the rest.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Using clamps and bracing with screws line everything up,nail the rafter to the plate and then nail the ridge board to the first rafter. Here you see a temporary board the same thickness as the ridge board to position the rafters.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Here you can see the braced rafters on the other end and two pair on the near end. If all your measurements and cuts are accurate everything should come together. Always check the crown on the ridge baord and each rafter before you cut it. You want the crown of the board to face up.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Layout the rafter position on the ridge board before you put it up. Also layout the position on the top plate. In this case they are on 2ft centers. Nail one rafter through the ridge board,toenail the opposing rafter through the ridge board along side the rafter.
Building something from tree to finished project takes some effort but is worthwhile.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Had a few more nice days working on the shed.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Gable ends sided and started on the roof today.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Time at camp for this year is ending. Picked up the mill and mini to bring home.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I was hoping to get the roof shingled this year but a tarp will have to do until spring. I will be back up one more time to bring the rv home so I may get the door framed in. So I will have to continue this build next year. I am going to be starting a sawmill shed at home so I'll continue with that when I get started.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

Looks like a fun project, keep up the good work!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

crowhill

Don't ya just hate it when you run out of time on a fun project!! I have a deer camp I was planning to put an addition on as a big kitchen so as to use my Grandmother's refurbished Home Comfort wood burning kitchen stove. Plan was to have my Grandsons aged 9 & 7 do some cooking on their Great Great Grandmothers nearly 💯 year old stove! Rifle season starts Nov 11th, this Saturday.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

richhiway

Luckily I had the tarp on the roof lots of rain,cold and snow today. I have today and tomorrow and then I bring the 5th wheel home for this year. I started to frame in the door and window. See you in the spring!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!