iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All because of Poston! lol

Started by drobertson, February 28, 2014, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I've been working around this one log for quite some time, a white oak blown down from an 09' tornado.
Well after see Poston's post on a big ugly red oak, I just broke down, in between jobs, waiting for more logs to finish a cabin, I thought, go for it, found a buyer and will saw tomorrow,  Thanks Poston, I hope you know what battle you put me into! ;D   

Time will tell, a master woodworker, and great customer will take whatever it reveals.  I just had to know,
david  more to come thru the week end, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Looks like you'll get a lot of lumber from that log, it looks awfully hard too!

Get some extra blades handy!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go David! Yours is UG-LEE-RRRR than mine.  :D
Waiting on the pics.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Sparks will fly.  I hope that you have a couple of 4° blades.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Not sure about 4 degree blades, but, a determination that is close to it.  I just hope the check is in check!  been wondering for quite awhile on this one.  curiosity kills the cat they say,   the morning will be interesting, least I will have wood for the stove with the ice coming ;D     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Your sawmill is gonna growl at you.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Got started, then stopped, Accuset issues, 

mesquite buckeye

I'm board. ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

More pictures, please. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Per ur request ;D  Keep in mind, I have not made it to the good yet, and it is sawable, but very hard.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Had the electronics held out, I'm thinking we would have seen more,  frustrating to see 600lbs sitting on the mill, just sitting :( >:(

Chuck White

David, I see what looks like a "dig-out" just above and behind the 2-plane clamp in your first pic.

Was there metal in there?

All things considered though, it looks like you'll get some nice looking lumber out of it!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Chuck, no metal, or dig out, a knot that loosened up I suppose.
Peter, transducer issues again, been an on going issue with this mill.  Not sure if H-bridge, transducer, or what, cables are good always have been.  Voltage good as well.  It wants to go up! wrong way for making boards ;D
Monday will tell the tale, for now potato soup and waiting on the weather to hit.    david

yukon cornelius

that looks a lot like the rock log we had. it was the hardest thing I have ever cut! a dj on the radio near us mentioned it today. we had potato soup also. it must be the cold weather meal of choice.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

David....does your mill have a positioning sensor on it?

drobertson

Poston, it's an 04' super, accusset 2, with the transducer, I reckon this is somewhat of a positioning sensor. When its good, it's really good, when its bad,, nuff said, dead in the water, it just makes me wonder how many folks have similar issues,  it's hard to have confidence when these things happen over and over again.

Dave Shepard

Can you run it with the transducer unhooked? I smashed my transducer cable last summer. I can't remember if I could run it manually or not.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

No Dave,  it is in error mode, when it does work, it goes up,  same as before,  in auxiliary mode it will work at times, then error out.  When the engine is on, again signs of hope, then error,  h-bridge seems to be functioning correctly with the indicator lights, it has to be the transducer?  not sure, except I'm frustrated as anyone would be.  It's a great mill, when working, really good, bout 150 hrs on the latest h bridge and new cables. 

drobertson

I started this thread just to have some fun and share the burden of ole burly logs as Poston did. Well, as fate would have it, the mill acted up, and should be no surprise as MM mentioned the mill will growl a lil bit, and it did. the hardest log I have ever sawn!  This said, the log was sawn, and should have been made into fire wood.
But, the mill is now running like a champ!  and I have some good fire wood, and 4x4's for stacking more lumber.
More logs are on the yard to finish the cabin, so all is good.    david

Magicman

Sometimes we have to do stuff.....just because.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2014, 09:16:57 PM
Sometimes we have to do stuff.....just because.   ;D

Sorta like we say in the South....."HEY Y'ALL.....WATCH THIS!".  :D

Coon

Poston, in the North we just do it and hope like heck you were watchin or better yet get it on the vidjo for utube.   :D   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Coon on March 07, 2014, 10:57:40 PM
Poston, in the North we just do it and hope like heck you were watchin or better yet get it on the vidjo for utube.   :D   :D   :D

You're right!!! Cause it ain't gonna happen but once.  :D :D :D :D :D

francismilker

I've got a bad habit of opening up the face of a log only to see some pithy, spongy, pitiful looking wood and keeping on sawing.  (Why haven't I learned it's a waste of gas????)  I just keeping hoping to find gold at the end of the rainbow but it hasn't happened. ;D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!