iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Bear Season

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2011, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Hope you had a good time Jeff, I always enjoy following these threads.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

chevytaHOE5674

I don't usually bear hunt but this year if I would have had a tag I could have shot a few right out my back window. I can't remember the last time I've seen a bear from the house but this year I saw 3 or 4 nice ones walking in the woods close to the house. Like all of the sudden they moved in next door ha.

Ron Scott

I had to change my plans.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

That stupid thing, there's no beechnuts up that spruce. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

You shouldn't be leaving peanut butter sandwiches in your tree stand. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Wasn't bear season there was it? That is so funny.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

The tree stand safety inspector.  :D :D

Looks like it should hold a hunter.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Roxie

Great pictures!!   :D :D
Say when

Magicman

You shoulda gotten a 2 man stand.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

sandhills

You could have at least left him a little rug to lay on.......well, then again, maybe our dogs are just spoiled.  :)

Ron Scott

The tree stand is rated for 300 pounds so he must have been under that.  ;)
~Ron

Gary_C

In the past roughly two years I have been surprised at the bears I've seen on the roads. Just this week in central Wisconsin I saw a dead bear on Hwy 29 and some weeks ago there was another road killed bear on the same road.

Then in Minnesota this spring I saw a large bear lope across the road in a state forest and right around Labor day I almost got a big one with my wife's car on Hwy 48 between Hinckley and Danbury, WI. That bear was running full speed towards the road I was on and stopped in it's tracks right at the edge of the road and made the quickest U turn I've ever seen just before I would have hit him as I could not stop. Good thing he did as he was big enough to have wrecked that car.

Then in the previous year I saw at least two bears on the highways, one with three cubs and one yearling I hit with the semi when late at night he ran across the road in front of me and stupidly stopped to see what the light coming at him was about. there was just a slight thump as he disappeared under the truck.

So I guess you bear hunters should patrol the roads, that's where the bears are hanging out. Seriously I've heard the bear population is growing significantly and there are many more bear human confrontations in the rural areas and in the areas near the suburbs.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Seems to be lots of bears here to, they have paths beat down in my woods to the good eaten in the surrounding fields. They hunt them here twice a year, but some fellas don't shoot much. ;) Most bears know their place, and I rarely have a run in. The bears have an old forest winter road just up the road beat down bare. See them cross there on occasion. Tracks also on my winter road in with the moose. A moose will growl like a bear you know. They are both black and you can't see either in thick softwoods. If you hear heavy hoofing, it's a moose. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Coon

Ron it looks like the two of you were playing each others roles....  just hope you weren't eating from the bait barrels.  ;D  BTW Nice pics.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Today while driving into a new block to mark out for thinning I sited a bear on my road on the block. He ran off into the thickets, never to be seen again. I had my camera, but not quick enough with removing the lens cap and powering on before he vanished into the abyss. He'd probably go 300 lbs. After the siting and gearing up, I slipped the Gerber blade into a pocket. ;D All I heard on the block were birds and frogs. ;)

I also saw 4 deer and two moose on the highways this week. The deer sitings may not be all that exciting, but we have so few of them that one has to mention it. ;)

Weekend_Sawyer

The deer used to be so scarce on our camp in the 50s and 60s the old guys used to say where they saw tracks and scat!  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Family members are always inquiring about bear, moose and deer sitings.  ;D

Jeff

I'll be running up to the cabin with my Sister and brother-inlaw this weekend. I may think twice about leaving the door open on our outhouse after watching and reading this... :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/05/23/mb-bear-outhouse-survivor-shurvell-alexander.html

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

I can't tell ya the number of times I've sat in Pete's outhouse with the door open.   :o :o

Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on May 24, 2012, 08:52:07 AM
I can't tell ya the number of times I've sat in Pete's outhouse with the door open.   :o :o

Some bears are more fussy than others.........
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Bears are real thick down by North Lake. It's cottage country and no garbage pickup, except those big blue dumpsters with a cage over the top. Anyone that has hunt bears know that bears know how to figure stuff out.  ;) I drive by 3 big dumpsters and the bears have stuff all thrown out of those things looking for stuff. :D I've seen 5 bears on the roads in 4 days. And the roads, any road I have been on down there this week have "piles".  ;D

Raider

Leave for Alsaka at 3:00pm the 25th. Myself,both my sons, another fella and his son to bow hunt Black bear. Al spot and stock. Will get in some fishing, and out one night at midnight for giant squid! Wife said there better not be any "suction" marks on me :o. I said what goes on in Ketchikan stay's in Ketchikan! ::)   Raider

SwampDonkey

Didn't know there was giant squid in Alaska. I know they find them in Newfoundland waters, some wash ashore dead. Of course an old carcass ain't much good eat'n unless your a bear. :D

Thank You Sponsors!