iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

box elder

Started by turningfool, December 13, 2006, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

box elder in michigan isnt worth much for building,burning,or anything else..i am looking for timber cutters that will allow me to traverse their piles of this stuff..i am a woodturner and i cant get enough of it..any takers? ;D

Mike_Barcaskey

I'd think you'd get some, too bad you ain't closer to western PA
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Furby

Nice to meet ya Turningfool!
I got some red cants stashed that I'm hanging onto, but I got a tree that needs to come down.
I can let ya know if or when it does.
I think it's around 38" DBH so it sould have some nice color in it.

TexasTimbers

Hi there turning  fool. Let's make a deal. I will show you some of my Box Elder and show us some of your turnings. We love pictures here at FF!  8)

I've been playing around with some of it lately . . . .

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

Kevjay, looking at that stuff makes me wish I had a lathe! Pretty awesome looking.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

Maybe we could get Santa to work a deal for us. ;)

Jeff

I been trying to get Santa to work a deal for a muzzle loader but Tammy says that Santa may have to give me a promissory note instead. :-\  Or Coal. :D

Furby

Tell Tammy I have some coal laying around here. ;)

TexasTimbers

Coal is sounding pretty good to this cold weather wimp, this time of year!

Furby

Cool, I'll trade ya some coal for some of that nice wood! :D :D

turningfool

kevjay..that is some mighty pretty box elder..do they all grow like that down in texas?

turningfool

kevjay..the hat i am wearing is black cherry made a few years ago..new to this site..as soon as figure out how to post more pictures i will..ty for sharing yours

Kevin

Isn't that the same weed they call Manitoba Maple?

Mike_Barcaskey

I heard it called "ash-leaf maple"

It is a member of the Acer family, same as maples
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Kevin

Left Coast Chris

The pics of the box elder are very impressive.  Do they have seeds and can anyone send some?  ???  If they grow in texas they should grow in Calif eh? :P
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Burlkraft

Be very careful.....Boxelder grows like weeds. They are weeds to a lot of people. Once they get started they are very hard to get rid of. They over populate the farmer's fence rows here. They all do not look like Kevin's do. Here if they get over 12" in diameter they rot and fall over and start growing from there. Besides...if you start growing it like Kevin's then how is he going to sell you some  ???  ???  ???  :D  :D  :D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

ohsoloco

I cut down the boxelder in my parents' back yard a few years ago because the house was getting covered with boxelder bugs.  They don't hurt anything, but are very annoying, and they're good at leaving little red pooh stains on all of the curtains and window sills  :(

Furby

Don't get me started on boxelder and boxelder bugs! >:(
I'm slowly trying to remove every boxelder from the area I can, but it's a losing battle. :-\
Please DON'T plant any out there.... really.

WDH

Looks like there is a love-hate relationship with Box Elder.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

turningfool

like i said before..its now worth much around michigan other for turning most do not have anywhere near as much color as kevjays but still ate a pleasure to turn..very little checking and relatively stable when a few precautions are taken..i have seen willow fall and sprout new stuff all over the place..but i have personally never seen this in box elder ;D

SwampDonkey

It's not even native here, and it's taken over the river banks, and people's neglected back yards. Thank goodness our natural forest kills it out. I do like them as shade trees until limbs get broken off, then down they come with the chain saw.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

tf,

No i don't think it grows like that all over Texas. I have been told that stress causesit, and I've also been told that the same ambrosia beetle that makes it turn brown, also makes it turn red.
i don't really know why it is so striking. I have not had the chance to go looking around for more of the stuff in other places in the county, to see if it is just this one patch or if it exists like this elswhere.
Furby is right about it growing all over the place once it gets started. Ya either love it or hate it. 
Whatever the case, I'm glad I stumbled onto it!

Coon

We have a pile of that box elder on our farm.  It isn't quite that big though.  However there may even be some of that big of stuff further into the bush. 

Box elder IS NOT the same as our Manitoba Maple.  If I had a vehicle to go out to our farm with I would show you the difference.  The same bugs do hit both species though as I have seen it.

box elder grows in wet areas around here.  They often grow in amongst the willows here but take the areas where there is more sun.  If someone wants some seeds I can get some and send them.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

twig picture please.  ;D  Check out the Tree ID board (Overwintering). According to 'Natives Trees of Canada' it follows the river valley out your way Coon, in the southern part of Man. and Sask, it was more common where it is now cleared farmland and wasn't confined to river valleys. I have a PDF document with latin and 3 common names including those mentioned. File is too large to post or upload to my site (2.3 megs) Maybe your confusing it with some kind of willow? They get pretty big here, but not really tall, they tend to lean and spread with long limbs.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Resources I've checked out indicates they are the same.....Acer negundo being called box elder and Manitoba maple.
A quote from one source is

""....The Box Elder Maple tree, Acer negundo, is also commonly known as ashleaf maple, Manitoba maple, box-elder maple, and western box-elder. This deciduous maple tree is a small-to-medium-sized tree, reaching heights of 50 to 75 feet, with a trunk diameter up to 4 feet. The trunk is relatively short and tapering, and the crown is spreading and bushy. It has a thick trunk and upright branching habit, but is more often seen as a smaller tree with cane-like, bright green branches............""

Coon
What indicates to you that they are not one of the same?  I realize local nicknames often crop up that can cause some identification confusion. Black jack pine, poplar, popple, bull pine, etc. are some that come to mind that get different local interpretations. I thought I'd heard Canada maple as a name for boxelder. But think I was either hearing wrong or the perpetrator was converting Manitoba to Canada.

Some twigs for SD will be helpful. More use for that new camera  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I was thinking he may have confused it with silver maple, but it's only native to Ontario-east of Lake of the Woods and the river that flows along the border with the US into Lake Superior, southern Ontario, southern Quebec along the St Lawrence and NB along the St John (and lower tributaries) and along the main Miramachi. I have heard people call it Manitoba maple and I talked to one feller that had his mind made up it was Manitoba maple because someone told him so. So who knows.  ;D :D :D :D

turningfool

got to meet furby today..looked at the oak tree i have posted on here(not as big as i thought..srry) and he gave me a box elder cant to play with..thanks again furby

Furby

turningfool

not only in search of box elder ,but yew trees/shrubs of any kind of volume as well,lotsa folks re-landscape their front yards and landfill the stuff.gorgeous when lathe turned and well worth the effort to retrieve them..any timber cutters looking to dump some big box elder on me,feel free..better than burning it,and my rule of thumb is whatever i get ,the party ,who gives it to me gets a finished turned item from that wood just becuz

Coon

Swamp, I was out to the farm with a friend yesterday but I couldn't get any of that elder.  The  snow was just too deep.  I went in up to my waist and was still sinking down.  The ditch is right full of fresh snow that just blew in and is too soft.  will have to wait until it firms up a bit.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Snow shoes?  ;D  ;)

SwampDonkey

;D This is all the snow we have, just thought you should know. ;D And it's 38 F here in the shade at noon. ;)

turningfool

finally figured out how to set up a gallery thanks in part to furby but not quite sure how to download pics in my posts as of yet..in any event furby gave me some box elder to play with and theres a before and after turned pic or two on there....lovvve box elder cuz you never know what the next cut with a gouge will bring :)

urbanlumberinc

We've got alot of em out here too.  They're one of a handful of decidious trees native to CO.  The ones I get outta the city seem to get a big root burl once they reach a certain size.  They're pretty much overgrown weeds out here too, but once in awhile you'll see a nice front yard tree that somone loved and cared for that is as pretty as a picture.  Some of the best wood I find comes from "weed" trees like box elder, russian olive, and corkbark elm.

turningfool

what the heck does corkbark elm look like?

turningfool

happy holidays to all in the forstry forum and thanks to all of the sponsors

turningfool

turned a piece of box elder today..to show the anti box elder folks that their is beauty in even a trash tree..will post pics tonight..happy new year everyone! :)

SwampDonkey

Nice bowl Tom. What do you polish with? Was it air dried or kilned?

Many questions. ;)

turningfool

this piece was pre turned to within an inch of its final thickness..newspapers stuffed in the hollow after a liberal brushing with pentacryl and paper bagged..i use behlens woodturners finish on lots of things..leaves an effortless shine..not food safe tho

TexasTimbers

I'm glad you can see it SD but I can't see any pictures.  ???

SwampDonkey

Here's one from Tf's gallery Kevin. hmmm I got a feeling of de ja vue  ::)

When we gonna see one of that red hearted box elder down your way? ;)

turningfool

TexasTimbers

I don't know SD there are several people turning or about to turn some. TF has got some goin in the pipeline soon as the postal people get their well-deserved vacation.

turningfool

got a very special piece in the works and will post pics when its completed..box elder..of course :D

SwampDonkey

AH, it finally arrived , eh? ;)

turningfool

this is a different "very special" piece..lol.. ;D

SwampDonkey

All I need to know.  ::)

TexasTimbers

To add to the confusion SD, I know what piece you thought TF was talking about, and he knows I know it, but I have no idea what piece he IS talking about. Do you?

SwampDonkey

I ain't even gonna attempt to figure it out.  :P I got a wood project to keep me occupied. ;)

turningfool

TexasTimbers

The moon sure is bright tonight. Almost can't see the stars for it. Good night.

turningfool

i put a few answers to other box elder questions on some of the other forums categories that you had kevin..time to start turning some of that box elder yourself and seeing what its all about ,its properties and the enjoyment you'll get out of every cut with a sharp spindle gouge..would be more than happy to help you out getting started

turningfool

talked to kevjay a few days ago..DANG! what a nice guy! no wonder i like the forum so much..#1 in my favorites now

SwampDonkey

Kevjay....erm  ::)  I bet he says that to all the fellers when he gets a nice piece of turning stock, eh?  ;) :D ;D

turningfool

went out and dropped a 28 dbh box elder last night. ..lots of red in it too..all end grain sealed and at the shop waiting to be turned.... :o...cant wait to dive into it!Neighbors kind of frown on me running the chain saw to pre round it at 5 a.m. tho..,guess i can wait a few more hours ;D..will try to cut a cookie to post a pic or two of it..all of my pics are web cam stills..no digital camera yet :)

leweee

Quote from: turningfool on January 07, 2007, 05:23:29 AM
Neighbors kind of frown on me running the chain saw to pre round it at 5 a.m.

:D :D :D and I thought I was the only one with neighbors like that. :D :D :D

P.S.  WOT modded muffler in the dark at 5 am....drives the natives ZULU. :o ::) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TexasTimbers

Well heck then you don't need none of mine! I'll send yours to the left coast there's a guy out there in desperate need.

turningfool

by lots of red in it, it means by michigan standards..lots of red means about 15% as much as your does kev..but still purdy

TexasTimbers

I was foolin ya but I guess you knew that.

Show some pics when you can I am interested to see how it looks.

turningfool

will try to post a cookie pic tomorrow..if i cant get it to go on this page(not very computer savvy) it will be in my gallery pics

TexasTimbers

I see you already have posted to your gallery, so after that, you left click any picture in your gallery and it brings it to the forefront. Below in little tiny writing there is a line of text that says "Click to copy . . . ." something like that. Click it, and then go back to your browser you are making your post in. Left click in the text box where you want to insert the picture, and then hold down the  Ctrl key on your keyboard and while you are holding it down, press the "V" key and it will paste your picture there. You will only see a line of script but it will be there for you after you click post or preview.
It isn't hard. We can hook up on the landline if you want after you get them in your gallery and I can walk you thru it. you'll have it after that.

turningfool

here you go kevin..our michigan box elder

TexasTimbers

Ohhh that's purdy! 8) 8) 8)

turningfool

geez..i hope this works again..this is the top of the previous hollow form box elder pic

turningfool

you've created a mad man kevin..thanks again for the picture post help

TexasTimbers

See that ain't so hard! ;)
Man that is a nice bowl! I'm on the wrong end of this I can see y'all are having way too much fun. My end is work!

You should go ahead and post a few more while it is still fresh in yur mind though.

SwampDonkey

tf, that's great stuff. Do you go straight in with your gouge? Or is this a prep-turn before you let it dry some, to hollow it out more later?

turningfool

sd ..i usually dig right in so to speak with either a fingernail or bowl gouge from the start,whether from the original log form or after it dries to true it up before finishing.I generally do faceplate turning with some help from the centers if its too danged out of round at the beginning  gotta figure out a better way to sand and finish the hollow ..hard on the fingers sometimes :o

SwampDonkey

Working with wood in any way seems to be hard on the hands. As soon as this desk gets done, I gotta let my hands recover. This dang ash is as sharp as glass on the edges before sanding.  ::) ;)

turningfool

sd i've worked with ash myself and fully agree with you on its coaresness i use cornhuskers lotion and my hands are ship shape and ready to go the next day....but then i'm a tough old buzzard ;D

turningfool

a pic of some 152 year old(according to ring count) yew,i had soaked in PEG to insure no checking took place..i have since graduated from using peg..but happy i used it on this piece

Jeff

turningfool, try to up the dimensions of your photos so we can get a better look if you could.  :) You should have no problem optimizing a photo that is 350 to 400 pixles wide. Maybe even 450

turningfool

ok jeff,i will work on it :)

turningfool

finally snowing like mad here but will get those cookies i promised to you all asap..speaking of cookies..got some very special ones from kevjay this weekend..cant wait to get into them

turningfool

got some big cookies from someone special in texas..preturned one and wow! :o

SwampDonkey

Have ya seen Kevin's new avatar? Looks like the underbelly of a crab. Or ceremonial getup of some lost jungle tribe. Maybe even an alien. :D :D :D

That's a cool avatar Kevjay.  :) 8)

turningfool

yeah kevin thats a one of a kind avatar for sure :o

turningfool

its official..kevjays box elder platter is finished..pics in my gallery as i still cant figure how to post pics on here ;D

beenthere

turningfool
Go to the Help tab up top, and follow the directions that da Boss has posted. The pics in your gallery are "nice" but too small and tiny to see well. With the instructions, they can be blown up to larger size and much easier to view. You can help us a lot by doing that, and your projects will be easier for all to see. It's not tough, just takes your interest and care, I believe.  The best to you.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I added a couple here. Tom, try not to use spaces or odd characters in filenames, that's why you get %202% inserted in their places. Also, we won't be able to search threads for your photos if you use unconventional filenames. ;)

Once you get the photo in your gallery, click on one and it comes up with a line of code under the picture.

example

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14594/Picture%202%7E18.jpg [/img]

Which is pasted into your post by copying it with ctrl-C (copy to clip board) after you click and hold-left mouse button and drag across the line to the end, then release. Then, hit Ctrl-V in your post.  Or by hitting the link that does it automatically. It's just under the code. Good to have your gallery page open in one tab/window and your posting in another window/Tab. Go through Jeff's tutorial and you'll have no trouble. ;)

TexasTimbers

Wow that's nice Tom. You didn't have to do that but I know the wife will be thrilled. Me too. ;) Thanks for all that effort. :)

WDH

I'm thrilled, and I didn't even get oneĀ  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That's really nice work Tom, no matter what angle you look from. ;D

leweee

I couldn't help myself Tom had to make it bigger. ;D

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

turningfool

ty lewee i'm working on it..gettin there slowwww but sure

farmerdoug

TF,

That is a great looking plater.  You sure have fun turning, don"t you.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

turningfool

its my niche farmer..i really enjoy it and literally give 90% of the stuff away when its finished just to brighten someones day ;D

Thank You Sponsors!