iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT30HDG24 trailer ball height question

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 21, 2019, 09:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I'm about to get another pick up truck, and I need to fit the trailer hitch with a new ball. I need to understand what height the ball should be off the ground for the correct transporting of the mill down the road.
I measured my old off road SUV that I used to use to pull my mill as 14" or so.
The newer truck would most likely sit higher but I can buy a drop down receiver bar for the ball.
Does anyone have any advice on this? Other than call Woodmizer.

Thanks
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

terrifictimbersllc

Can you measure it from your mill?  Height of hitch with mill rail parallel to ground?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ljohnsaw

I just set any trailer on flat ground and level it.  Then measure up from the ground to the top of the hitch (where the ball sits).  Now, measure from the ground to the top of the receiver on the truck.  The ball is going to raise up from the hitch about 3 or 4".  Then figure out from there.  Better to sit and inch or two high then an inch low.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

I suppose so, I'll see what it looks like.

Jim Rogers

GAB

Don't forget that what you load in the back of the truck may also affect the height.
You might want to consider an adjustable hitch height unit.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

stiff suspension will drop less.  what type truck?  I have 4 diff receivers with balls for my diff. trailers.  could ask about tongue weight, wood miser may know, then do the measurement with that amount of weight/people standing on your bumper.  My one ton is a lot higher than my old heavy half.  I agree you want the mill/trailer parallel to the ground.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: doc henderson on October 21, 2019, 09:47:26 AM
 what type truck? 
GMC 4 wheel drive, not sure the model right yet, I'll be test driving it later today.

Quotecould ask about tongue weight,

I believe, from memory, about 80 lbs but I could be wrong.
Jim Rogers

doc henderson

I overestimated the drop once and tractor supply let me return the receiver and get a diff one.  is it lifted?  pics later?   8) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!