iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slip clutch

Started by NMFP, March 22, 2012, 07:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Hello Everyone:
I now how the power unit home for my new mill (rebuilt 01 frick) and would like some opinions on any recomendations regarding installing a slip clutch.  I am going to be using an isuzu diesel with automatic transmission that is intercooled.  The torque converter will take up some impact but I feel I need to add a slip clutch so that is something happens, the slip clutch is affected and not the transmission itself.  Fortunately, I have a few options for connecting the power unit to the shaft but looking for suggestions.

Thanks everyone for all the help you have been so far.

NMFP

bandmiller2

NMFP,usally the belts handle the slip clutch requirement,or you could go shear bolt.Really its a shock load that is worrysome a slow overload will pull the engine down and you can back off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

The torque converter on an auto tranny is a pretty good slip clutch UNLESS it has a lockup type converter. IF you run the tranny in a lower gear, the lockup clutch is usually dis-engaged.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Slabs

I don't think you'd want the blade dragging in the middle of a log.  Slip clutches are good for things like bush hogs and other implements but you'd probably be happier listening to the blade noise and backing off when the load gets near the limit of the engine.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

NMFP

Ok, Based on your thoughts..... Would you direct drive the output of the transmission to the shaft on the husk or would you run 2 sheaves and use drive belts.  I can get 625 rpms on the output shaft of the transmission so I could turn the blade at 625 and have it hammered for that speed.

I guess either way would work but I am concerned about shock to the transmission is why I ask about a slip clutch.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

bandmiller2

NMFP,I  would say the torque converter will handle the shock.They will handle a stall for a short time.Be sure you have an oil cooler for the tranny,I have seen air conditioner condensers used. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

There is a heavy oil cooler on the unit itself, but, I might add a second with an auxilary fan to make sure the oil stays cool.  I am not so sure of automatic transmissions but... they are used in a lot of industrial applications so I guess it should work well.  It is an isuzu 4bd diesel with automatic transmission out of a GMC cabover flatbed.

Thank You Sponsors!