iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 10 questions

Started by logman81, May 01, 2015, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Working on a model ten Garrett skidder. It won't shift into gear with the engine running. Guy couldn't get it out of gear so he had to shut it off to stop it? Could it be the clutch?  We pulled the trans today and hope to pull off the clutch tomorrow.
Precision Firewood & Logging

North River Energy

1. Seized/galled pilot bearing/bushing
2. Pressure plate stuck to flywheel with rust
3. Clutch/flywheel fouled with 80w90
4. Something else entirely

mjeselskis

My treefarmer c4 did this when the clutch slave cylinder went bad and also did it when the rubber hose that goes to the slave cylinder broke down and blocked the port which didn't let fluid in or out of the slave cylinder
Both relatively easy fixes.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

John Woodworth

As you already know the clutch linkage is mechanical, the true Garrett clutch is a 4 tab metallic and most people due to the cost would use a standard Ford clutch disc because they are so much cheaper, they will work but have to be constantly adjusted or you cannot shift. Chech your clutch disc, if it's a full disc and not 4 fingers with metallic pads on them you have the wrong clutch disc.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

logman81

Ok the clutch will be pulled out today I will try to get some pics of it. But you all agree it is a clutch problem?

logman81

Where could the proper clutch be had if that is the case.

John Woodworth

Today without Garrett and don at Garrett I don't know, I bought the last one he had before he died, same clutch for the 15. Don't know much about vendors on the East Coast others here can help you with that, pull your clutch and see what you have, the fingered ones can be rebuilt, check with any clutch rebuilders, all the fork lifts and power plants using the 153 and 172 Ford Industrial used them.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

logman81

logman81

John Woodworth

Looks like a standard Ford clutch disc and ring for application?

logman81

yes i believe so, it is a 172ci ford gas motor. also the previous owner welded the clutch housing to the flywheel in one spot because a bolt was missing! the things people do!

lumberjack48

He welded the presser plate to the flywheel, or do you mean he welded the bell housing to the motor.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Pressure plate to the flywheel I believe.

John Woodworth

If you send me a Email address I'll send you pictures of the correct disc, my E mail is listed.

logman81

I think we should be able to find a replacement pretty easy and the local parts store. I will let you know if we can't find one.

John Woodworth

Do what you have to do, you won't find the correct one at the parts store, you will end up with what yo have now, I' m done.

logman81

I'm done?  I just simply thought a standard ford clutch would do just to finish up the job. I would gladly like to know where to find the proper one for it if it exists.

mad murdock

I think what John was telling you was if that one isthe correct garrett one, to get it re-lined with new friction plates rather than look for a replacement at the local parts store.  I replaced mine on my 15A and bought it from Don, like John said, you will have to fix an original, if it is the correct one, by re-lining it, or you can put in a ford truck one, but the ford truck one will not last.  That is what was in mine before I put the right one back in it.  It made a pretty noticeable difference on performance and useability/durability.  John is one of the most knowledgeable guys I have come across on Garrett skidders, since Don Garrett's passing.  FWIW, there is no crass intent in his remark that I read. He is just telling you straight up.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I see thanks for clearing that up mad Murdock now I understand. As of right now he is trying to find a metallic version of the clutch. I came to this site for the knowledge and expertise and I greatly appreciate it.

logman81

So may have found the right clutch waiting on a price.

jocco

Logman what we been doing for these older or odd ball clutch set ups is sending them out to be rebuild. There are several companies that do that. Takes the guess work out of trying to match it up or inability to look it up.
You may check out but you will never leave

logman81

logman81

Wound up ordering a semi metallic clutch on line. Thanks for your help

logman81

New clutch is going in today hopefully all goes well.

logman81

So the garrette is up and running again. Guy decided to send the spare motor to the machine shop for a rebuild. It's going to get the block decked down a little and the head machined flat. It will get new rods, pistons and bearings. Told the guy at the shop to rework it a little to get a few more ponies out of it.

Thank You Sponsors!