iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 518 center bearing/driveshaft

Started by North River Energy, May 21, 2015, 12:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River Energy

Center drive shaft (the one passing through the trunnion assembly on the back half) broke.  Is it possible to replace this piece without splitting the machine, and/or removal of the trunnion?
It appears the upper yoke pivot bushing has some play in it as well, which might have played a part in the breakage.
Any insight welcome.
Thanks

coxy

not shur but ill find out for you there is a guy that's rebuilding his from top to bottom

North River Energy

Thanks Coxy, whatever you find is appreciated.

coxy

went to see the guy today and was gone for the weekend  so ill talk to him Tuesday

log cutter

You can remove the drive shaft without breaking the machine in two. You have to remove the back belly pan. Take out the back drive line, remove the yoke off of the broken drive line and grab a big hammer and drive the broken shaft forward. You should have the skidder turned hard to one side or the other. The easiest way I found to change them is hire it done. A lot of bolts on the back belly pan. Also watch out for the shower, First row of bolts on the front of the back belly pan usually have water trapped above them.
Timbco 475E

North River Energy

Thanks log cutter, sounds good.  I have to take another look at the shop manual, but I think there was something in there about setting the endplay for the shaft support bearings.  That should also be doable without too much difficulty?
Lucky me, the belly pan is already off :)

log cutter

If I remember right there are shims that set the end play. When you undo the keeper that holds the yoke on there should be a shim pack on the end off the shaft. I've had friends that fought that shaft out and other just a few pops and it loosens right up. Seems like when I changed mine out it took a couple of hours but that was with a hired mechanic's help.
Timbco 475E

North River Energy

Thank You Sponsors!