iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holiday in BC

Started by fusiformRay, September 20, 2015, 07:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fusiformRay

Hello folks,
I was thinking about taking a trip to BC at Christmas.
Is travelling the roads tricky at that time of the year there? I'd like to land in Vancouver, hire a car and tour some forest parks within 300/400km of the city.
Any tips or suggested stops greatly appreciated.

dgdrls

I went to Vancouver in June so take it for what its worth.

Right in Vancouver you can go up Grouse Mtn.
Ferry the car to Victoria go to the Bouchart gardens

its a beautiful area,  enjoy!!

Dan

BCsaw

If you stay in the lower mainland, Vancouver, Langley, Abbottsford, etc your driving should be fine. Leaving the Fraser Valley will take you into mountain roads and sometimes brutal driving. Be especially wary of the Coquihalla highway. Very treacherous in winter.

Can't help too much with attractions down there. I only go down there when I have to. Way too many people and traffic for my liking!

Enjoy your trip. ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

fusiformRay

Probably be smarter to wait till summer. What do ye reckon?

sawguy21

Access to the forest parks is pretty much limited to the ski hills in winter and the highways can be treacherous with closures due to snow and avalanche conditions.  They are not a good place to be unless you have winter driving experience in the mountains and a properly equipped vehicle. In summer the roads are choked with tourists, this year the problems were compounded by heavy smoke from forest fires.
Late spring or early fall are great times to visit B.C. The tourists are not out in full force, the highways are clear and the weather is generally very nice. Take highway 99 north through Garibaldi Provincial Park to 97, you will get your fill of trees and mountains. From there you can connect with the Trans Canada at Cache Creek then back to the coast or go east to Kamloops then to Vancouver via the Coquihalla Pass. It can be done in one day but two or three would give you time to explore.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fusiformRay

Thanks heaps lads
That's some great advice.
I will look up those suggested routes sawguy21. brilliant.
I do take my time when travellin. If could probably get  8 - 10 days out of what most would do in two or three. This new magnifying glass I got slows me way down  :o
What are the chances of me being eaten whilst exploring in Garibaldi? That'd just wreck the whole trip.

sawguy21

:D Somewhere between slim and none unless you provoke a bear with cubs. If you are camping store food in tight containers away from the sleeping area, put refuse in the containers provided and keep the site clean. Hike in groups, as long as the bear knows you are there he/she will generally stay out of the way. Most encounters occur when the animal is surprised.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Grizzly

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 20, 2015, 01:51:32 PM
Access to the forest parks is pretty much limited to the ski hills in winter and the highways can be treacherous with closures due to snow and avalanche conditions.  They are not a good place to be unless you have winter driving experience in the mountains and a properly equipped vehicle. In summer the roads are choked with tourists, this year the problems were compounded by heavy smoke from forest fires.
Late spring or early fall are great times to visit B.C. The tourists are not out in full force, the highways are clear and the weather is generally very nice. Take highway 99 north through Garibaldi Provincial Park to 97, you will get your fill of trees and mountains. From there you can connect with the Trans Canada at Cache Creek then back to the coast or go east to Kamloops then to Vancouver via the Coquihalla Pass. It can be done in one day but two or three would give you time to explore.

Late spring is my 2 cents. Rivers and creeks are in full runoff and spectacular. My mom and I spent 3 days on the very route that sawguy suggested but we were too early. We still enjoyed it immensely but it could have been even better. Lots of places to pull off and go hiking and some great road to experience. Late June just before school lets out would be my thought. We also found that the bed & breakfasts along that route are better than hotels.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

rjwoelk

I spent 3 years guiding on horse back, had some scary times with a couple pf bears, the trick is to knowing bear scat, the difference between grizzly and black bear.
So when in  black bear country you use pepper spray and in griz country you wear bear bells.
So black bear scat smells like pepper and grizzly scat has bells in it. ;D
Enjoy you holiday.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan R

Check out Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. It is a Provincial Park that was given to the Province by HR McMillan who was the Provincial Chief forester and founder of Macmilan Bloedel. The park has some of the largest Old growth Douglas Fir trees you will ever see. In Duncan BC on Vancouver Island is the Forestry Museum. Check online to see their hours of Operation. In December you will want to stay near the Coast to stay away from the snow. Lots to do and see in BC.

Thank You Sponsors!