iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twisted Timbers

Started by Rougespear, August 16, 2016, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Thanks a lot Brucer.

Soo, i might be talking gibberish biiiiiigggg time then! ;D

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Brucer on August 21, 2016, 01:51:32 AM
Redbeard, you're right, they really are beautiful logs. Straight, too :) :).

I buy them from a plywood veneer plant. They want the best D-Fir logs (no shake, small knots) and have the clout to demand the best from the local loggers. They aren't too concerned with sweep because all the logs will be bucked to 8'-8" for the lathe. They will pull the straightest logs out of their inventory for log home builders and small sawyers like me. They'll also mark them up 70% :o.

I paid $160/m3, delivered, for the logs in that photo. With a recovery for 300 BF/m3 I was paying $0.53 per BF. A few people thought I was crazy paying those prices, but I'd done my homework.

When I was sawing for the timber frame company, they were paying anywhere from $80 (junk) to $130 (pretty good) per m3. Over a one year period, their average price including delivery worked out to $112.50/m3, a lot less then what I ended up paying. However, in one year I sawed 84,000 BF for the timber framer from 400 m3 of his logs. That's a recovery of only 210 BF/m3 so they were paying $0.54 per BF, just a tad more than I was paying.

For essentially the same price I had 30% less waste to deal with. The other big plus was that virtually every timber I sawed was a #1 structural or select structural -- the best structural grades.
what does $160/m3, mean?  the 3 is throwing me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Satamax

Ozarkgem, usualy, in most of mainland europe, wood is sold by cubic meter.

Surface of the log cut at midpoint times the length for logs;

Width x thickness x length for planks or beams.

160 delivered is a bit dear, imho. But i'm in euroland. Over here, you can say 70€ per cube for sawing pines, 90 for larch, 80 to 120 for oak.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

In pine, a cubic meter is pretty close to a US ton (2000 pounds). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

Quote from: Satamax on September 13, 2016, 08:04:23 AM
  ...160 delivered is a bit dear, imho.

I agree, but it's worth it. These are much better than sawlogs. More to the point, I made money sawing them. I have always beat my competition on quality, never on price.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Satamax

Quote from: Brucer on September 13, 2016, 11:54:41 PM
Quote from: Satamax on September 13, 2016, 08:04:23 AM
  ...160 delivered is a bit dear, imho.

I agree, but it's worth it. These are much better than sawlogs. More to the point, I made money sawing them. I have always beat my competition on quality, never on price.
Yep, i totaly agree. Beating the competition on price isn't rewarding mentally at all. I have a competitor, a guy i subcontracted for in the past, who does absolute crap, for cheap. To the point i wonder how he still gets jobs. I wouldn't like to be in his place. Where everybody in the valley diss him for doing crap.

Sawing wise, i hope i can do what Percy talks about in the sitka thread. Guitarmaking wood. With caviar logs. Some cabinet grade figured woods. Etc. No point in trying to beat others on volume. There's big guys less than a hundred miles from me. Which i'm not even willing to try to beat.  Stay small and human.

Thank You Sponsors!