iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

its wood sellin time

Started by OH logger, September 09, 2017, 08:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

been haulin a lot of heatin wood lately. its cooler than normal here and people are actually startin to think ahead for a change.  :D  I changed my hauling procediure and am no longer hauling 1 cord at a time. only 1.5 cord (full load) no complaints from the customers and I like it cause most of my customers are 15 miles away so I don't have to run with less than a full load. I also bumped my price up $5 a cord and a half. again no complaints. some people will forget what they paid for wood but they wont forget that wood they couldn't get lit or wouldnt  stay on fire cause it wasn't dry. I concentrate on a quality product and price it accordingly. I'm using my homemade cleaner and rreally want a REAL cleaner for next year. I'm thinkin about ordering one at the bunyan show this year. that would REALLY please my customers. I cant believe the orders that I'm getting considering the warm winter we had last year and how cheap propane is here. it seems like people are addicted   8).  hows it been goin for you other wood sellers out there??
john

overclocking

How much are you getting for a cord? It's about 170 here delivered.

brianJ

200 a cord delivered give or take a little.

OH logger

john

overclocking

Quote from: OH logger on September 10, 2017, 06:02:23 PM
153 delivered and dumped

That's a pretty good deal. Last year we saw prices between 150-170 here, this year its almost always 170. Some people were asking 2, but nobody was getting it. Gas has been pretty cheap here for the past few years.

woodshax

Wow,  That is less than half of what they get here in Texas....That is a FULL cord delivered price?  can you drive it all down here?

lopet

Orders are about the same as usual and price is the same for the last five years. 240 here for a full cord and I only haul 3 cord loads.  I have to charge the HST, but everybody who has a farm or business number can claim it. The good thing is, that some of my non farmer customers have found a way to bypass this nuisance. :)
It took a bit of training , but now everybody is getting used to. So somebody who has left over wood may only get one load and the person who was short in the spring gets two loads.
Lost one guy with a outdoor boiler who always took three loads.  Bummer  :(
I am a little concerned with more and more amish competition, they seem to like working for less.  :o
Probably can still make a bit of money that way for the next four or five years as my equipment is all paid for. After that I just will be processing for my self and a few buddies.  8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

dave_dj1

With the rising costs of fuel from Harvey I'm sure some of the people are thinking they best grab it before the price of wood goes up too.
I have a couple/three year supply for myself, I just had my tank filled up two days before Harvey hit. I was just telling a buddy that I bet pellets will go up too.

NWP

It's picking up for me but it never really slows down too much. I get $260 for a full cord and $150 for a half cord delivered and dumped. The restaurants we deliver to pay close to $400 per cord since they want hickory and I have to stack it.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

DeerMeadowFarm

What length do you all cut to for your customers?

Corley5

I've got 97 face cords on order and a 20 and a 10 pulp cord mobile job to do.  Standard length for me is 16" but I'll do custom lengths.  Shorter costs more.  Longer is the same price.  Depending on delivery distance I get 165 to 195 per full cord in five face cord loads.  Less than 5 costs more. 
  There's a firewood processor on every corner in this country now.  Those that are financed aren't going to last.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OH logger

16 inches here and yes my price is a FULL cord. we should start a thread about the stupid things customers say.  like the other guy only charged 75 pucks for a cord and I fit it on my pickup  ::) I had a lady call today and order 2 TON of wood. I knew what she meant though... she ordered the same amount last year  ;). there are not many firewood processors around here at all. not many trees and not many wood burners left here anymore. if I charged $200 a cord I wouldn't sell any wood....well maybe a few cord  :D
john

rjwoelk

We are down from last year.  To dry so they had firebans on all summer. Our winter guys are starting to call. Our should i say the procrastinators. We get one evey so offten wait till the last min and wonder why they can get dry wood. I keep telling them get it in early summer to dry at your place.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

overclocking

Quote from: OH logger on September 12, 2017, 09:41:28 PM
16 inches here and yes my price is a FULL cord. we should start a thread about the stupid things customers say.  like the other guy only charged 75 pucks for a cord and I fit it on my pickup  ::) I had a lady call today and order 2 TON of wood. I knew what she meant though... she ordered the same amount last year  ;). there are not many firewood processors around here at all. not many trees and not many wood burners left here anymore. if I charged $200 a cord I wouldn't sell any wood....well maybe a few cord  :D

My areas just the opposite. Lots of burners and nothing but hardwoods and everyone with a saw and axe selling on Craig's list. Tri axle loads here are about $650 too, seem to be down 100 from last year. You can rent firewood processors weekly here as well. I think it's 1600 a week, so you better have a pile ready.

GRANITEstateMP

$225 TO $235 a cord (128cu/ft.), delivered locally, GREEN.  I won't start delivering my dry/seasoned stuff for another week or two.  I've got to double check pricing on 1 year seasoned but it should be about $315-$335 a cord.  I like to keep 2 or 3 cord of the dry stuff and post it early December for about $20 or $25 more a cord.  That is the fee for waiting too long to order your wood!  I give the wife that money for Christmas stuff.

We do mainly 16in wood, I have a few customers that we cut 18in for (same price).  The neighbor across the street gets 15in wood, I don't charge him any extra cause he's a nice guy and a good neighbor, that is a hard combo to find!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

OH logger

I know this is not good to say out loud but I read in a northern logger a while back that a cord of dry wood heats as much as 215 gallons of propane (most common source of heat where I live. right now propane is at 1.34 a gallon. that means a cord of wood heats as much as $288 of propane. so why would you buy a cord of wood for $315 when you could watch the propane guy fill up the tank have no work or mess and be money ahead? what am I missing? I think its great if you can get this much out of your wood but when you guys talk those high prices I don't understand. that would never fly around here (unfortunately). maybe its the "green" movement or for the excersise??  :o
john

rjwoelk

If it were a matter of buying a propane heater vers propane you need to take in to acount the rental or ownership of the tank. Then there is thay nice heat from a wood fire.
I live 6 hrs north of minot ND. No trees. Trucked in 5 hr haul.we sell birch for 175 for aprox 1,3 cord . In a mini tote bag.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

OH logger

that $1.34 gallon propane is a rented tank. if you own the tank its $1.24/gal.  and its 25 cents higher than last year but a TON cheaper than it was about 3 or 4 years ago. and that's one thing with wood prices: they don't fluctuate as much as  fossil fuels and it is warmer heat
john

lopet

My customers are aware of that, but say that they like the wood heat much better.  They also  say that they need the  exercise  to stay in shape and it saves them the money going to the gym. Most every body grew up with wood heat and carried on.
Hate to say that, but watching the propane guy filling a tank is for lazy people.  ;D or too busy ones.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Blue Noser

I can sell a cord (128 cubic feet) of mixed red maple/yellow birch for C$275. I deliver some at this price to my neighbors (within a couple kilometers) with my tractor and have a few customers come and pick it up at this price.

billwolford

I'm in the Seattle area and cords range from $400 to $600 and even more depending on the wood of course.
Still plenty of woodstoves around and people still love the wood heat qualities.
Luckily there are no shortage of trees yet here, but supplies keep getting further out.

Bill
Trustworthy Firewood

OH logger

Quote from: billwolford on September 19, 2017, 04:36:50 PM
I'm in the Seattle area and cords range from $400 to $600 and even more depending on the wood of course.
Still plenty of woodstoves around and people still love the wood heat qualities.
Luckily there are no shortage of trees yet here, but supplies keep getting further out.

wow!! I'm packin allraedy and bringin all my wood with me!! :D
john

woodshax

So....I gotta ask....how do you guys get your processing costs down so you can make a profit at some of the lower price points......even with free trees My labor costs are still about $150 a cord......I guess if I did all the labor then that would be my profit minus gas and wear and tear on equipment.....but it is hot here in Texas and I am old.

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: OH logger on September 16, 2017, 09:37:35 PM
I know this is not good to say out loud but I read in a northern logger a while back that a cord of dry wood heats as much as 215 gallons of propane (most common source of heat where I live. right now propane is at 1.34 a gallon. that means a cord of wood heats as much as $288 of propane. so why would you buy a cord of wood for $315 when you could watch the propane guy fill up the tank have no work or mess and be money ahead? what am I missing? I think its great if you can get this much out of your wood but when you guys talk those high prices I don't understand. that would never fly around here (unfortunately). maybe its the "green" movement or for the excersise??  :o

OH logger,

Sorry it took a while to get back to ya.  Quick and easy answer, I try and sell to what the market can or will handle.  There is no way I'd buy a cord of seasoned  / dry wood, EVER!  I try to get my regular customers to buy green wood and season it for a year.  The folks that want the dry wood will be paying me for a years worth of storage...

We didn't sell as much wood last year, with low oil and propane prices, as in previous years.  I expect to be a bit better this year, and oil and gas are heading up.  We just got topped off with propane (hot water, cooking, b/u to the wood stove) we paid $1.91 a gallon and get a pretty good discount since we're tied in with the farm and they use a lot of propane.  That may be part of the reason we get a bit more a cord? 

I know one guy that sells kiln dried stuff, pretty sure he starts out at $335 a cord!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: woodshax on September 20, 2017, 08:15:34 AM
So....I gotta ask....how do you guys get your processing costs down so you can make a profit at some of the lower price points......even with free trees My labor costs are still about $150 a cord......I guess if I did all the labor then that would be my profit minus gas and wear and tear on equipment.....but it is hot here in Texas and I am old.
Your labor costs are $150 per cord? Are your guys processing by hand?

Thank You Sponsors!