iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tibet (politics warning)

Started by TW, March 19, 2008, 12:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW

I only want to draw your attention to what China has been doing in Tibet the last few days. This kind of oppression is unacceptable in my oppinion, no matter what cirkumstanses.

Note to Jeff &co:
Feel free to delete this tread if it is too political.

Ironwood

While travelling abroad I have found the news coverage to be less ethnocentric, and quite franky, VERY good compared to what we get "spoon feed" here in the US. It is part ignorance, and part national lethargy, that keeps most American mildly sedated.
I was to travel to Lasa, Tibet a few years ago to work on the Cardiac Wing of the only children's hospital there, unfortunately SARS and then 9/11 occured and put the whole thing out of the question. With the new "bullet" train from "mainland" China, things in Tibet look bleak from a ethnicity and freedom stand point, it will never be the same.
Thanks for the reminder though.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

I'll take that into consideration when I make the "made in China" buying decisions....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

If there were ever a people who have taken their culture to another level, or at least in a different and peaceful direction, they were it. We've stood by, well, we've turned our back, while China has destroyed their monestaries, libraries, culture and a great many of them.

TW

News from Tibet

http://www.phayul.com/news/Index.aspx

It appears that this news release is somehow connected to the group around Dalai Lama, who is one of the parts in the conflict.

Cedarman

I have been thinking about this situation the last few days.  First, are we getting the real news out of Tibet?  Knowing what China has done in the past it does seem plausible.  China wants to look good for the Olympic games coming up.

I have been asked several times to consider shipping cedar to China.  They haven't met my price yet.

Now should I politely decline and mention that I would not be interested because of what they are doing in Tibet?

If the people of the US were really serious about this they could quickly put the hurt on China by buying products made elsewhere.

This is some serious stuff.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ironwood

There are ALOT of multi nationals ARE moving out of China, mostly due to enviromental and cost issues. You will see alot of lables and stamps refering to other countries.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!