iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

farmall cub 6 volt to 12 volt converson

Started by Polly, May 14, 2009, 06:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

i have a 6 volt positive ground cub and need to convert to 12 volt negitige ground my question is will the 6 volt starter motor work with the 12 volt negitige ground  or does it chang the direction of rotation of the starter  ??? ??? ::)

easymoney

i dont believe there will be any problem with the starter. it should be happy with 12 volts. and i think it will not mind changing polarity. to be sure hook jumper cables to the starter without a battery in the tractor and see what happens.

Corley5

Not a problem and you can move it around on the starter without starting the engine  ;) :)  I've pulled our BN Farmall out of the barn on the starter when it was out of gas and I needed the tractor behind it  :) :)  We've got a W-6 and a couple Hs that are also on 12v neg ground and an H on 6v neg ground.  You'll need to change the ign. coil and the light bulbs  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironwood

I have converted several Ford 8N's and never did anything to the starters.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

If you switch a tractor to 12 volt that has a magneto, it probably won't start until you let off of the starter, and it slows down enough for the impulse to work. Was odd until we figured out what was going on. We've got a W-6 that is 6 volt with a mag. Two pulls on the crank and it fires right up, no battery needed. It was the tractor I used for my little projects, my gas was safe, nobody else wanted to crank it. ;) :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

timberfaller390

Just picked up a super"A" myself, but it was already converted to12. hope you have fun with your cub.
P.S. I really REALLY need a planter for my super "A" so if anybody has one...
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ironmower

I've  done several conversions also, the starter willbe fine ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Corley5

Our W-6 and BN still have the mags on them.  We switched them to battery ign with external 12v coils so the mag's only functioning as a distributor. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Polly

thanks fellows , i had changed a farmall 140 to 12volt and a old ford but i could not rember if they were positive ground originally or not , the cub belongs to polly she bought it so i could keep her garden cultivated , i cant understand it i bought her a new rototiller in april for her birthday , looks like that should have made her happy ,     wives are funny sometimes         :D :D 8) :o

Hotrod RLC

as for as the starter is concerned neg to pos // pos to neg  6 to 12 volt no problem i also change the old generator over to a 12 volt one wire delco  alternator install alternator and one run one wire from alternator to battery or another hot wire like on the starter relay works like a charm as for as the lites i think you can put a 12 volt to 6 volt relay in wiring for the lites chevin the 1950s had this type of  cerematic relay please correc t me if i am wrong alternators used to be about 35 dollers at electric shop 

moodnacreek

Having owned cubs all my life I can say you really don't need 12 volt. [My '69 cub is 12 v]  If your generator and regulator are good [and starter] buy as heavy a 6 volt battery you can find. The cub engine is small and low compression.  

luap

Quote from: Polly on May 14, 2009, 06:57:17 PM
i have a 6 volt positive ground cub and need to convert to 12 volt negitige ground my question is will the 6 volt starter motor work with the 12 volt negitige ground  or does it chang the direction of rotation of the starter  ??? ??? ::)
I have converted two farmall model c's and a 1946 jeep to 12 volt. The coil doesn't care if it gets 6 or 12volt and neither does the starter. the starter will spin faster on 12 v. what is required is the wire that goes to the distributer needs a resister to keep the points from being toasted. I used the resister from a dodge1987 pickup, 318 motor, ignition resister,I don't know the resistance value but you can get it from any auto parts or rock auto online you will also have to get a 12volt voltage regulator and you can use your same generator and your lights as was mentioned. after several years of use the starter shaft next to the bendix broke and was easily welded back together. I do have another farmall that ileft 6 volt and after doing a valve job, it starts and runs great so no need to witch to 12 volt. so why the need to switch? 

farmfromkansas

I had a neighbor change my super H to 12 volt, starter just runs twice as fast, but he put an alternator on the tractor.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!