iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Just a word of caution on the chain and hooks, be aware that the chain can slide if the load becomes unbalanced for any reason. Stay well clear while it is suspended. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

Contrary to my earlier post we sawed mornings on Thursday in the cold then Saturday with nice balmy temps.
All 2x6x16, hemlock, side lumber into 3" battens 4 hr mornings and got 50 2x6s done each time as well as about 35 battens.
projected bf in 8 hr day 1720.
I dont dawdle when sawing with a tail man and a log deck well stocked, and still cant fathom the claimed bf per day by some of you guys.
I keep the feed speed well against the governor with the 51 hp Perkapillar.
Managed to do the dreaded hitting the side support Saturday which slowed us down some.
First time doing this in a couple of years.
Regarding EWP once it gets sizeable, there are no knots to contend with.
My adk camp has 2x6x18 rafters on 12 -12 pitch.
Gets up to 4 ft of snow that doesnt clear now that the galvanized roof has oxidized until we heat it up.
No problems so far.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Sounds like a good day's sawing to me Pete.  :)

Quote from: LeeB on April 16, 2019, 12:25:14 AMbe aware that the chain can slide if the load becomes unbalanced for any reason.

Can, will, and did Lee.  Not off, but back against the hinge which let it drop down a foot or so.  Yes, without hooks welded to the bucket, it is an iffy situation.  The operator is constantly adjusting and leveling the bucket as he raises and lower the load.  :o

All in a day'$ work Southside....all in a day's work.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

before and after of beam laminated with pin oak (pseudo maple  :D)  buddy Gabe, RN, past airforce medic.

boy has got some skills, wife happy!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Kwill

Milling one more 2x6 and 3 2x4 out of this log. Then just need 4 more 2x4 to finish the roof on the sawmill shed.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Banjo picker

Lynn, I hunted with a man some years ago that had a beagle that ran too fast, so they would fasten a short piece of log chain to his collar.  Maybe you just workin too fast.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

:D I already gots da log chain.  I'll have some pictures for tonight.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

Quote from: Kwill on April 16, 2019, 12:52:49 PM
Milling one more 2x6 and 3 2x4 out of this log. Then just need 4 more 2x4 to finish the roof on the sawmill shed.

Kwill, What did you do to your mill to get it running right. Did you threaten it with the sledge hammer?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Willbillys

4/4 hickory yesterday and some black walnut dropped off to be milled 8/4 today in exchange for some banjo pickin.

Woodland Mills HM130
2017 Mahindra 1526HST
1939 Farmall A
2000 Tundra
24x40 carport building
3.78 acres
19 Chickens, two dogs, one horse and a bunny

Dana Stanley

WillBilly, I see you have a trailer under your mill! Have you got a pic of it? I have the same mill and am planning on building a trailer for it soon. Looking to see what others have done.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Raym

Quote from: Raym on March 13, 2019, 06:02:45 AM
Gonna be Sawing.....

Started a new build for the builder I occasionally work for. Started clearing Monday so I went by and marked some poplar that I want delivered. I'm guessing about 3000 bf. I don't know why but I marked a couple of hickory to add to the load (they are still standing). I was tempted to mark more to bring but I'm afraid of my wife. :D I already have to figure out how to get these here without her knowing.

Most of you may know that my sawmill doesn't get too see much action because of the amount of other work but I really get frustrated driving past my mill to go buy lumber for different jobs that need to be done.

So as soon as these show up, "I promise" no work gets done until these are sawn and stickered. I do use a lot of poplar so should be about a years supply.....
Well I broke my promise but after being delayed because of being sick and distracted by fishing, I finally got into this poplar. 

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Magicman

Got a picture of some logs for Dana to pressure wash for me.  ;D

I did have some different log handling equipment first this morning.

A John Deere track hoe showed up and moved some logs for us and then proceeded to fall and move trees.

Still standing but it won't be for long.

It didn't stand a chance.  ;D

And now he thinks that the Deere is a skidder.

Ready for me to buck and saw which I did.  One 8X8 and two 12X12's.

We should make good headway on the "sandy" logs in the first picture tomorrow.

Dana Stanley

MM Reminds me of the line in Jaws when he thinks were gonna need a bigger boat. "Oh crap I think your gonna need a bigger wire brush"
It's got to be a rewarding feeling to see that lumber being built into homes as fast as you cut it! That looks like a good gig, dirty logs and all!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Willbillys

Quote from: Dana Stanley on April 16, 2019, 06:33:15 PM
WillBilly, I see you have a trailer under your mill! Have you got a pic of it? I have the same mill and am planning on building a trailer for it soon. Looking to see what others have done.
I do!  I bought it off Facebook marketplace for $150 bucks knowing it would need work.  I wirebrushed it and painted it with two coats of rustoleum brushed on, replaced the tongue and added a light kit.  I bought a set of used tires/wheels off a friend and welded jacks in each corner.  The trailer had been lined with a 1/4" angle steel on each side to add strength, I have no idea what the trailer was used for before.  It's very narrow, so perfect for the mill.
Now that I have it all setup, I honestly don't plan to move the mill much but am very appreciative of the rigid frame.  It doesn't heave/thaw like the ground would if I was to install it on blocks.  I just had to level and square it to the frame carefully.  I used a laser level as well as strings crossed to ensure it was true. 
I plan to remove the axles but use one of them for a log-dolly project.  If I want to move the mill, I can simply hoist the head off the tracks and then lift the trailer frame with the mill tracks up with my tractor to place on a larger trailer I have.

Woodland Mills HM130
2017 Mahindra 1526HST
1939 Farmall A
2000 Tundra
24x40 carport building
3.78 acres

Willbillys

Got home from work around 5:15 yesterday, and had a customer stop by at 5:30 with two walnut logs, one straight 6' section and another with two crotches that had been mutilated by a chainsaw on one end.  It was a little challenging to get anything out of but the customer was quite pleased.  The straight log was easy, but I hit a nail about 4 inches from the pith and it dulled the blade.  I was able to finish the remaining three 8/4 cuts with the dulled blade.  

One thing I found is that loading the logs onto my mill with the forks is not as easy as loading them with my two sets of lifting tongs attached to the forks.  Visibility was my issue.  With the tongs I can clearly see the mill tracks and the log as I rest the log down.  

Woodland Mills HM130
2017 Mahindra 1526HST
1939 Farmall A
2000 Tundra
24x40 carport building
3.78 acres

Jim_Rogers

We moved some very valuable norway maple logs up to the mill bunks this morning.
Not sure how to cut some of these snakes.

Jim Rogers

It never ceases to amaze me of what people think are good logs to mill.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

btulloh

At least they left all studs on 'em so you get to use your chainsaw.
HM126

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: btulloh on April 17, 2019, 01:33:09 PM
At least they left all studs on 'em so you get to use your chainsaw.
I just spent 23 minutes sawing the first bunch off.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tule peak timber

Quote from: doc henderson on April 16, 2019, 11:30:05 AM
before and after of beam laminated with pin oak (pseudo maple  :D)  buddy Gabe, RN, past airforce medic.

boy has got some skills, wife happy!
Very nice,,,,tasty ! :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

Two lumps to go and we are finished with the burls.

petefrom bearswamp

Nice looking bunch of firewood Rob. TIC
In regard to my hitting the rear side support, I checked it today and it is about a 16th of an inch higher that the front one.
Go figure. I should have just lowered them a bit more.
BTW the blade was a several times sharpened one so no big loss.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I would call that a whack of burl slabs Rob.  :o

Pete, I think that I would adjust that rear side support.  ;)

It was the same old thing for me today.  Red clay sand is only one step away from cement.  :-\

I sawed "Dana's" log today.  :-X

Just cleared a trail through the sand and sawed away.   ;D

tule peak timber

Bruno of NH

Wow MM
That's some sand.
Sand is hard on bands
I get some when the tree company drops logs in the back sand pit.
It sticks right on the logs
That red stuff looks tough
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I have someone stopping at 9:00 this morning to look at the mill and saw some logs.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!