iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

The last burl on the mill this morning with AJ setting up.We took advantage of the WM mill extension sale last month and added a section, a good move. If folks wonder why I'm not in the milling photos, it's because I'm in the shop grinding away on table tops. I'd rather be outside ! ;D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ljohnsaw

Tule Peak,
Looks like another fabulous table in the works.  I really like your UL Approved power drops! :-X ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WLC

Seeing your tables always leaves me looking like this:  :o :o  Beautiful work as usual.  Simply amazing to me.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

tule peak timber

Thanks. After the umpteenth table , working on the sawmill looks mighty good !

Bruno of NH

I had a guy interested in buying the mill come over and work with us today.
I was just going to show him how the mill worked.
He stayed 6 hours and ran the mill for half that time.
His name is Tom ,he's coming back tomorrow for more milling.
I didn't get any pictures 
I will tomorrow. 
Cool and damp I'm starting the wood stove
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Good news on the mill! What is the target date for the new one?

Mid to high 80's here today and yesterday, severe storms moving in, possibly tornadoes tomorrow, back down into the 40's after that, probably will be starting the wood stove as well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I bucked these to length for today's sawing and got 5 done when the seal in the log turner hydraulic cylinder gave way and the claw would not stay down.  Kept creeping up.  Since I was coming home today anyway, I brought the cylinder with me and I will pick it up from the hydraulic shop tomorrow afternoon. After 19 years I guess that it was time for a rebuild. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

How many other pieces of equipment last that long? Good luck getting it fixed and back in operation first thing next week. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Banjo picker

I use to have a repair shop here in town rebuild mine untill I got a quote on fixing one once and then he just about doubled the price when I picked it up.  I do my own now, and its not rocket science.  Most seal kits are only $25 or $30 bucks and if you got the cylinder off thats the hard part.  You just have to have the parts book that shows how the seals go in, you can put them in backwards.  The hardest one I ever done was on the Prentice 210 C.  I had to make a wrench to take the nut off.  But I got it now. ;)   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I normally rebuild mine too, matter of fact I just rebuilt my log clamp up/down cylinder in February.  Other than the toe board cylinders this is the last one.  Circumstances dictated a shop rebuild on this one because if everything goes as planned, I will be sawing Monday. 

It will be a full sawing week, but there is a possibility that I may finally finish sawing at this location.  The customer will need many more timbers, but he does not know where the logs will come from yet.  He is looking for a few acres of timbered property to buy.  Time will tell. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Lynn , I thought about you today.  I saw a guy at the parts house, and he told me about some white oak logs that had been taken down that were for sale just down the road from my place.  Deb and I drove over there and did a drive by.....the logs were about as dirty as the ones you are working on.  I didn't even stop. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Lawg Dawg

Sent some lumber home this week

Built a table this week

Me, Rob, and Pete!

And got a call from Clemson Extension today...may be doing a sawmill demo for them in June!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Nice lumber whack and table/bench, LD. 

I understand that there was a party of three shady characters on the loose in the Rentz vicinity.  The last report was that they split up and went three different directions.  Authorities are following a sawdust trail.  smiley_roller

tule peak timber

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on April 18, 2019, 08:33:52 PMthe seal in the log turner hydraulic cylinder gave way and the claw would not stay down
The hydraulic shop called this morning and my cylinder was ready.

$130 and maybe it is good for another 21 years.  The shop guy said that the piston seal was a total wreck. 

cutterboy

Lawg Dawg, That wack of lumber sure does look nice sitting up on that trailer. Also, I love your table. The natural finish top sitting on white legs is a good combination.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jim_Rogers

Some Norway maple:

at least that what he said it was.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

richhiway

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on April 18, 2019, 11:13:12 PM
Sent some lumber home this week

Built a table this week

Me, Rob, and Pete!

And got a call from Clemson Extension today...may be doing a sawmill demo for them in June!
Nice lumber. Very nice tables!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on April 19, 2019, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 18, 2019, 08:33:52 PMthe seal in the log turner hydraulic cylinder gave way and the claw would not stay down
The hydraulic shop called this morning and my cylinder was ready.

$130 and maybe it is good for another 21 years.  The shop guy said that the piston seal was a total wreck.
One thirty seems like a fair price.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

I thought so too.  $46 retail for the kit and one hour shop time @ $80 labor plus tax.  The seal kit from Wood-Mizer would have been $18.32 plus shipping plus tax.  I was very satisfied.

olcowhand

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 19, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
Some Norway maple:

at least that what he said it was.

Jim Rogers
Jim,
I'm the dumbest guy on this site, but I don't think that's Norway Maple; at least not the one's I've seen.... I look forward to folks on this site expanding my knowledge.... 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Dave Shepard

If those are the same logs from post #340, then I'd say it's Norway. Just looking at the lumber ,the bark does look a lot like ash.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kwill

Just sawing up some cedar today. Making 2x6 and 2x4.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Brad_bb

Kwill, did you ever figure out why you were getting dives/having issues?  Glad to see you didn't just scrap it.  I have an LT15 Woodmizer and I'm glad I don't have many issues with it.  Frustrating when you have sawing you want to do but have to trouble shoot a nagging problem.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!