iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill Arrived Today! + A Neophyte Question (Pics Incl)

Started by plaindriver, June 26, 2013, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

I finally pulled the trigger and a new Woodland Mills unit arrived late this aftn. Tho I live just a 5-iron from a state hiway, its a narrow road, imposs for a semi to turn around. So, I met the truck at the corner and transferred the box to my truck. Getting it off and into the barn was an interesting chore. My small tractor was the MVP. Still in the box, Ill start the assembly process tomorrow. I am a total virgin w/bandsaw, but looking forward to putting HD and Lowes out of (lumber) business. 
Along w/the basic mill, I got another 6' section of track to all for up to 16' logs, and (10) replacement blades. I consider myself a competent DIY guy, but am a total neophyte re bandsaws. Also, have a "Logrite" cant hook arriving tomorrow, due to the rave reviews received on this forum.

Question for you experienced guys:  Do you ever cut logs (slice) into 'discs', as in making say, 3" thick round stepping stones, or round coffee table tops? Since the mills seem designed to 'rip' or cut with the grain, will cross cutting have an adverse effect on a blade? I was thnking, eventually, to put maybe a 20-24" dia log, maybe 30" long, and position it upright on the mill and start slicing discs. Is this doable?

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on receiving the new mill...fun times ahead!  People cut disks all the time with band mills and the blades do fine for cross cutting.  Do a search on "cookies" and you should find some clever methods for holding the logs.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Nice mill, when cutting discs make sure its clamped good.  I've cut a lot of them.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill.  I'll be interested to know how the mill goes together and what your opinion of it is.  What engine did you get with it?  Find a good blade sharpening service within driving distance, if you can.  Get a good feel for conventional cutting before you start cutting cookies.  Take your time, enjoy, and be careful!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Andy White

plaindriver
Congrats on the new mill! You will be sawing now. I have the same setup and track length.
Depending on how you set it up, you can cut cookies up to 22"in diameter due to guide spacing.
Mine is setup on 4x4 timbers and bolted to concrete leaving about 33" from floor to max. blade height.
So far this mill has done every thing I needed it to do. Power is good, but keep a sharp band and adequate
tension on blade, and you will be OK.   Have Fun and be careful.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Congratulations on the new sawmill.  I look forward to following along with your assembly and then sawing.

Yes, you can saw cookies, but remember, they will all check. (split)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

EZland

I have sliced some "cookies"  or disc or whatever you want ot call them this week.  You do have to get creative to camp them down.  I usaully clamp about a 36 inch log in a dog and then lock it in with wedges.    Get them clamped really well or the saw marks will be worse than normal making harder ot sand. 

If you want to keep the bark on the trees with have to be fell in the winter and as for the crackig or splitting get them as dry as possible prior to slicing them.  The easiest one I find to saw are cedar that I have been set up for a year or so.   

My wife used them as table center pieces. I will have to take some photos. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

MAI

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

flashhole

What mill?  All I saw was a cardboard box and a pallet.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

plaindriver

Quote from: flashhole on June 27, 2013, 07:30:15 PM
What mill?  All I saw was a cardboard box and a pallet.

Ok, Ok. Evidence below.  I opened the crate today. Then I got sidetracked taking apart what was left over  of a horse stall, to the left of the crate in the 1st pic.
I took all the components out of the crate and laid them out on the floor; read the instructions several times, brought the necess tools out to the barn. (All the nuts/bolts are metric!)  Tomorrow, I will start serious assembly. Didnt help that today is our aniv and I took the wife out for vittles at an upscale restaurant in town. 22 mi away.

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Magicman

Quote from: plaindriver on June 27, 2013, 11:18:34 PMDidnt help that today is our aniv and I took the wife out for vittles at an upscale restaurant in town. 22 mi away.
"Didn't help" but it certainly didn't hurt either.   smiley_love  A man gots to do what a man gots to do.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Happy Anniversary to a new sawmill owner.  ;D  You did good. On both the dinner and the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

flashhole

Very nice, is that concrete pad the new home for the mill?
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

plaindriver

Quote from: flashhole on June 28, 2013, 08:15:43 AM
Very nice, is that concrete pad the new home for the mill?

No, Sir. That is just the center of the barn where I like to park my big truck and tractor. (I dont like having any tools stored outside in the weather. I want to build a workshop for the mill, but I need to make the lumber first (chicken/egg predicament) to build the shop. So, this will be a temp home, till I can mill enuff timber to at least get a roof over the new building.

Kansas

We have sliced cookies, and ovals, where you stand a short log up at an angle. The strangest thing this last year. We have had several requests for weddings. Don't ask me why. Guess I am not romantic, but I think a paper plate would do just fine. Seen em used for under the wedding cake, place settings, punch bowl, who knows. We charge a bit for them. I always had an image of a dad muttering under his breath. I don't know if this is a fad, someone got the idea and their friends saw them and wanted them for their weddings. Call me cynical but its a fair amount of moolah for a wedding that is likely to end in divorce.

beenthere

plaindriver
Leads to the next question, will you concrete the horse stall areas to the sides of the center alley?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MAI

Plaindriver,
Happy Anniversary.  We celebrated our 31st on Wednesday.   Dinner was a good move. 
My dad always said:   Happy wife, happy life!  You sawing yet?

plaindriver

Quote from: beenthere on June 28, 2013, 10:51:49 AM
plaindriver
Leads to the next question, will you concrete the horse stall areas to the sides of the center alley?

No, Sir. WOuldnt be practical as those 6x6 uprights are structural and must remain (theyre 10' O.C.) This is just a temp home, till I can mill enuff timber to make a real workshop. THis barn doesnt even have elect. or water.

plaindriver

Quote from: MAI on June 28, 2013, 12:40:54 PM
Plaindriver,
Happy Anniversary.  We celebrated our 31st on Wednesday.   Dinner was a good move. 
My dad always said:   Happy wife, happy life!  You sawing yet?

Thanks, #34 for us. I think Ill extend her contract another yr.
Aint sawing yet. Machine is all assembled, but I am doing the floor supports and anchoring it down. SHould do my first board tomorrow.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Kansas on June 28, 2013, 09:40:32 AM
We have had several requests for weddings.

I have cherry flitches and cookies which I cut for my wife's cousin's wedding, so I guess i"m with the trend too. BTW, the cookies all split. They are 3/4" thick, were soaked in denatured alcohol for 12 - 24h and allowed to dry. A technique I learnd on the FF but it didn't work for me.  :'(
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!