iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butter

Started by crash, December 14, 2014, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash

Made butter this evening for the first time.  Had fresh buttermilk to go with warm out of the oven molasses cookies.  Good stuff.  :)

Chuck White

Haven't made butter in about 50 years.

Nothing better.

We buy some fresh butter at the Menonite store every once in a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LaneC

For those that have never tried it, butter can be easy to make. Pour a pint of half and half into a mixer bowl, turn the mixer on and watch it. In just a few minutes you will have some awesome home made butter.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

Goes better at room temperature too. We have made it many time. We bought a butter churn to make it. Home made whip cream is mighty good too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

I love butter, but I do believe it sticks to me better than anything else I eat.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BradMarks

Making butter rekindled a memory from my class in second grade.  I had raised my hand to provide the Half & Half for the churning project the following day.  Apparently I had been sheltered to the fact that with five kids we had little money, and so it was with raised eyebrows my parents purchased the H&H for our project, and the directive of "please don't volunteer for everything".  So the obvious takeaway (from years later) was we weren't monetarily rich, but we were rich in love and family.  And I am blessed to have parents who provided all they could.

sandhills

When I used to milk cows for a neighbor a few years back, around holidays I'd skim some cream off the top of the bulk tank to make ice cream and butter with.  Never had a churn just shook it until it was butter.

crash

I used a kitchen aid mixer so it went from whipped cream to butter real fast in fact I thought I had a little more time than I did so I was a little slower than I should have been throttling the mixer down, wife wasn't to upset about the new temporary cabinet color.  :D I think this would be a fun way to teach kids about the way things work,  I'll definitely be doing this again when my daughter's around.   :) How does a regular butter churn work? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Magicman

The thought of making butter brings back many childhood memories.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

A regular churn doesn't "whip" the cream, but steadily moves it around. IIRC
When a kid and having to turn the handle, seems like it takes forever. But better be steady at it, not stop, and not too fast or too slow or "ma" would hear it and give a quick "reminder".

But of a sudden, the butter would form. About a gallon of cream (at just the right temperature) would give about a pound and a quarter of butter.  The buttermilk, when chilled, would be a great drink.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

We brought ours from Lehman's.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-4462-lehmans-dazey-butter-churn.aspx
Probably cheaper places,but this was more than 15 years ago too when we bought it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!