iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl stuff...

Started by weimedog, September 09, 2018, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Picking a random dealer in Nova Scotia, the 362cm is $900 on special. Early this year I paid $811 out the door, and that included taxes, a longer bar option, and some files. Stuff's definitely more expensive up north.

HolmenTree

Yup, that's for sure. 562XP same price as the 362 and both never go on sale.
Biggest saw that go on sale are the MS261 and 550XP here in Canada.

When you make a living with them you gotta make hay when the sun's shining :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Lunchtime, 
 everyone of these little guys are environmentalists  :D
Lots of questions and some say I'm a "bad man".

samandothers

As they age some will change some will not.  But at that age....
I would have thought 'cool equipment'.

HolmenTree

Quote from: samandothers on November 09, 2018, 07:16:36 PM
As they age some will change some will not.  But at that age....
I would have thought 'cool equipment'.
Yup,  tree huggers decades back used the spotted owl to stop logging in vast regions of mature timber
.....now look what's going on with the fires in California all the way up to B.C.
I have a firewood hoarder picking up my rounds as fast as I can cut them, save a me alot of extra loading and hauling.
I noodle splitted the lower bigger rounds in half which he appreciates.
Had a heavy side leaner risking falling out on the street taking out a street light in the process.
So with the Big Shot sling shot and throw line I set and anchored a guy rope to the trailer. Then felled it 90° degree from anchor to lay.

teakwood

Very nice work Willard. do you pile the logs by hand? aren't they very heavy?

1580$ that's canadien dollars? that would be 1200$ US? I pay that in a season logging and the saw will serve me lots of years so for professional use i don't see a problem with the price
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

on the first pic of you post where we can see the 066:

Is that a special noodle sprocket cover?

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on November 10, 2018, 07:26:17 AM
 on the first pic of you post where we can see the 066:

Is that a special noodle sprocket cover?
Yep, never throw away a broken sprocket cover :D
I pile them by hand neatly at first so the firewood collectors can see what I got to get them interested in taking them away.
After that I just throw them off to the side loosely so I can get at the limbs.
Didn't have time after work yesterday to visit the Stihl dealer. I had to volunteer being a time keeper at my  11 year old twin daughters swimming club's team mini meet.
Will have time later today, just gotta finish up this job.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 09, 2018, 11:01:28 AM
Yup, that's for sure. 562XP same price as the 362 and both never go on sale.
Biggest saw that go on sale are the MS261 and 550XP here in Canada.

When you make a living with them you gotta make hay when the sun's shining :)
I just checked Stihl Canada's website and like lxskllr said the MS362 is on sale at $899 regular $969.
But here is something weird I clicked on the sites MS 462 CM- R and this what it shows. A 462 with a rescue starter handle, carbide chain, 3/4 wrap handle but no depth control bar cover ???
New hardwood logging saw? :D

realzed

I like that handle! With arthritic old hands like I have now (too many years in cold old airplanes coming back to bite me) that looks like it may be a really good addition going forward, as some days that 261 cord can be a real chore to grab and hang on to..
My wife peeked over my shoulder, saw the picture of the cut poplar stacked up, and said "where's that - and why haven't you managed to get those ones by now too"..  :D smart ass..
Says she figures that I have a 'Wood Fetish' and possibly I am gaining somewhat of a reputation for picking up any and everything free when it comes to wood bits and pieces!

Mad Professor

Quote from: realzed on November 10, 2018, 10:41:00 AM
I like that handle! With arthritic old hands like I have now (too many years in cold old airplanes coming back to bite me) that looks like it may be a really good addition going forward, as some days that 261 cord can be a real chore to grab and hang on to..
My wife peeked over my shoulder, saw the picture of the cut poplar stacked up, and said "where's that - and why haven't you managed to get those ones by now too"..  :D smart ass..
Says she figures that I have a 'Wood Fetish' and possibly I am gaining somewhat of a reputation for picking up any and everything free when it comes to wood bits and pieces!
$899 for a 60cc saw! Holy 7!@#%^&*  Not sure in USD.
I have two 036 pros that I paid: $0 for one (lean sieze),  and $125 for the other (25 years ago).  They are my first choice firewood saws.  I rebuilt the freebee 036

and had < $250 into it with all NOS OEM parts

realzed

And that's with only a 16" bar - the price goes up approx. $10 for every 2 " extra bar length (who really uses or needs a 362 @ 16") - then there is 13% on top of it all for our wonderful taxes so our country can give the money away in other Worlds..
So in the end with a 20" bar a presently ON SALE 362CM will run you a minimum of $1040 CDN by the time it sits in your truck.. no case, extra chain(s) or anything else - except if you wish to have an extra year's warranty for another $25-$30 on top of that..
Not exactly cheap in my eyes - good piece no doubt.. but you have to make use of it A LOT or just have a lot fatter wallet or different outlook on money than I do!
The 462CM being just another notch up on the money pole again..

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 10, 2018, 03:21:13 PM
Quote from: realzed on November 10, 2018, 10:41:00 AM
$899 for a 60cc saw! Holy 7!@#%^&*  Not sure in USD.
I have two 036 pros that I paid: $0 for one (lean sieze),  and $125 for the other (25 years ago).  They are my first choice firewood saws.  I rebuilt the freebee 036

and had < $250 into it with all NOS OEM parts
Yeah.  I have an 066, 036 ,026,024 and 028. Don't think I have over $400 in the lot.
Don't get me wrong. The new stuff is cool. I'm just not going to pay for it.

Mad Professor

So new saws are $$$$!!!

How about the FACT they are like new trucks that you can't work on?  I heard $100 to hook up a diagnostic Stihl tool.  Do that for 5-6 saws a year......

I like simple things I can work on. 

My favorite truck is a 70s chevy w/I-6 292.  It has a 1-wire distributor and retrofitted with a 1966 manual choke carb I rebuilt.  Two vacuum lines: to distributor and PCV valve.  If ignition craps out I have a spare distributor behind the seat.  If I need to work on it, I can sit inside the engine compartment, and still be dry when it's raining. Try that with a 2018.

I have many Stihls from 80s and 90s (009 020 026 028 036 038 056 064 066) some in duplicate/triplicate.  Only 1 brought new, only 1 has limiter caps.  Simple to work on, I like them.

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 10, 2018, 09:06:50 AMI pile them by hand neatly at first so the firewood collectors

Willard, have you tried some wood grabing clamps? they really help piling wood, good for the back too, i use them alot.

Husqvarna Lifting hooks Hand Lifting Timber Tong

There is a 8 and a 12" tong, they are very handy

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on November 11, 2018, 07:57:06 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 10, 2018, 09:06:50 AMI pile them by hand neatly at first so the firewood collectors

Willard, have you tried some wood grabing clamps? they really help piling wood, good for the back too, i use them alot.

Husqvarna Lifting hooks Hand Lifting Timber Tong

There is a 8 and a 12" tong, they are very handy
Ramone, yep I got 2 of the bigger Husqvarna tongs and a pickaroon.
But they are useless in this frozen solid wood.
Where the bark is rough the tongs will grab. But with lots of slipping I don't bother with them. I was going to sharpen one of them on the grinder to a needle point but forgot. :laugh:

Forgot my phone too in the shop yesterday so didn't get any pics yesterday on the job. Didn't make the dealer either as he closed early for this Remembrance Day long weekend, he'll be open Tuesday.

realzed

Any idea whether Stihl uses those loop handles in any other applications aside from the posted 462CMR  :D.
I would be interested in seeing just how big one is and if it would be at all practical to adapt to a 261 to assist my poor grip on the handle as it is now.
To order one blind and find that it is too big and/or unwieldy would be a shame, (or even a 362 regular version which appears slightly larger than the 261 type) so I'm hopeful of getting a look in person at something that might help me in this situation that isn't getting better going forward unfortunately pretty quickly now..
Thanks - Randy

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 10, 2018, 05:45:36 PM
So new saws are $$$$!!!

How about the FACT they are like new trucks that you can't work on?  I heard $100 to hook up a diagnostic Stihl tool.  Do that for 5-6 saws a year......

I like simple things I can work on.  

My favorite truck is a 70s chevy w/I-6 292.  It has a 1-wire distributor and retrofitted with a 1966 manual choke carb I rebuilt.  Two vacuum lines: to distributor and PCV valve.  If ignition craps out I have a spare distributor behind the seat.  If I need to work on it, I can sit inside the engine compartment, and still be dry when it's raining. Try that with a 2018.

I have many Stihls from 80s and 90s (009 020 026 028 036 038 056 064 066) some in duplicate/triplicate.  Only 1 brought new, only 1 has limiter caps.  Simple to work on, I like them.
I worked on a 201 M Tronic a few months ago. Diagnostic really not much help. Saw would run fine for a few cuts and then cut off. Flow chart says replace the short wiring harness. Did that, Same thing. Then replace solenoid in carb. Did that same thing. Replaced the complete top handle and that fixed it. Thing is, it didn't ohm out bad any kind of way. VooDoo.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 09, 2018, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: realzed on November 08, 2018, 04:12:08 PM
I didn't realize they would be so much $$'s - but then I haven't ever priced a big saw out when in any dealerships either.
Maybe that is sort of the acceptable CDN pricing but it just hit me as pretty steep!
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 08, 2018, 09:22:48 PMYep when you get into 70cc territory $1,400 is the going rate here in Canada.
You gotta make a living with a saw to make the MS462 pay.
I put my MS261CM and 066 Mag to work today and the income they made today would pay for a new MS462CM.
This pic from yesterday of the 4 trees I processed took 3 hours plus an extra hour to chip the remaining limbs, dump the chips at my dump site and park the trailer unit in my car garage.

Finished the 14 tree job this morning and being Sunday morning no school kids to worry about. 
At the end of yesterday I thought I had 2 trees left for today, but this morning I found a extra stump amongst the 4 I cut the other day
So it was  5 trees in that 4 hour day and this morning I only had #14 to remove, that's a bonus!

HolmenTree

Today back to residential tree removal.
 Brrrrr starting to get chillier with that north west wind.

realzed

Pretty neat setup - for sure.. Guess that is what a lot of experience teaches you over time!
How much does that trailer carry all loaded up - see now why you have a diesel 3500?? series.. nice looking truck as well!  

HolmenTree

Thanks Randy. As it sits with the mini loader perched in the front on the tongue 6200 lbs .
With the dump box full of chips under 10,000 lbs to keep the DOT happy. :D

Thank You Sponsors!