iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting a cant longer than the mill bed

Started by rjwoelk, November 08, 2018, 10:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I need to cut 3 41 ft 9x9 my mill can cut up to 35. Well I did manage to cut the top but it is not quite right, will need to fix it .  First I need to get the pith centred so I was thinking of screwing a board to each end 4.5 inches up from the pith.  Then pull a string from end to end really tight, measure at the butt, bed to string.
 Then lift the top till the string is the same hight, block and clamp and cut as far as I can. Flip 180 and do my cut. Then 90 and do the same as above board and string. After its all done turn the log end for end.( cant slide it through because of the shed for the saw head) and cut the remainder of the 6 or so ft referencing off the cut cant.  Will this work or is their a problem with this idea.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

barbender

Only problem I see, is I hope your yard is big enough to flip a 41' cant end for end!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Stuart Caruk

I'd put a door in the end of my saw shed. I did this years ago in my building to get structural beams into my bandsaw that were just to long to fit.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Southside

I think you are going to run into issues with the log and cant sagging having that much hanging off the end.  I did some 28' last summer with a 21' bed - ended up buying an extension when the next order came in.  I was surprised at the sag I had with 7' hanging off, then I tried to pry it back up to level - more or less got it there, but still when trying to get back to the same reference spot to finish the extended cut portion I was always just a tad off.  Experienced serious blade dive a couple times from the stress, thick and thin beams so had to use a hand planer to get them close enough to be acceptable.  About the time I had somewhat of a process figured out I had the order completed, but I will never do an overhang again.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Thanks Southside, 1 more extension would solve the problem, should have bought one last spring when coming through samom Arm BC at the dealership. but for 3 beams thought would give this a try, if it dont work it will make a 36ft sill and can pick up a addition when I get back to trucking. I know I will use it in the future. Or just learn to make a scarf joint. :P ;D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

Sorry I was swamped today Bob.  I'd hang it off the end.  Prop it up if you need to, to remove sag.  Run a string line down the log at the center of your timber.  Then shim the log along the mill if flex is going on.  See if you can get a full 9x9 the the whole length.  Level the log using the string line to get your string off the bed the same all the way down.  Measure the height of your string line off the bed.  Set your blade height there.  Then go up 4.5 inches and saw as far as you can.  Cut the slab to get your blade out.  Snap chalk lines the rest of the way on the uncut part of the timber at your cut height.   

Then roll the timber 180 putting blocks under the cut face to space it off the deck enough to the uncut part won't interfere.  Support the uncut end as needed to prevent flex/sag. Then set your blade height to get a 9 inch timber and cut as far as you can.  Snap chalk lines on the remainder.  You may not need the chalk lines, but a good visual reference.  Again cut the slab to get your blade out.  Now do as you said and rotate the log/cant end for end, using blocking under the cut surface to space it off the dek enough for your remaining round to clear the deck.  Now move your saw head down to the cut face to mark your height(Height you need to cut).  Then bring your head back to the start and cut the round up to the cut face.  They "should meet pretty well if your blocking is uniform.  At most you might have a step that is a blade thickness.  You can correct that later when you resaw.  Maybe you'll have another extension by then.  Or maybe you can borrow one?

I did something like this with some Ash, but the end that didn't get cut was a fork, too wide for my mill, so I'll have to hew the remainder and run over it with a 6"  Makita power planer if I want.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

ROUGH CUT

Loaded a log too big for my mill. 
Never do that again. It's a manual mill!

It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

TimGA

Wow, big is not fun even with hyds.  Love your barn, do you have overhead lift to load mill?
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

rjwoelk

well I got it cut to a 10x10 cant. Had trouble when cutting the end. Then last section of my mill was not in plane with thw rest blocking had deteriated and had got pushed out from under the skids. And had dropped a inch or so. So reblocked and leveled. Will see how tomorrow gòes. But I am going to make some cribbing for the end so that I can get it better lined up. Will be doing a new deck next year on pilings. Live and learn. :P

rjwoelk

Well got 2 40ft done. The second one came out good. I used cribbing on the end. Ran a string line from end to end tgen lefted the log till all was the same dist. Off the bed and letbit rip.
Kept that one as a 14x13 will get a extension this winter and will build a new deck in spring so i dont need to drag them back ànd forth. That will get me up to 45 ft cutting capacity.
The 3rd log i had for a 40ft ended up into 2 9x9 beams. Nice looking log till 3 inches in big old rot pocket. My moto is start with the biggest and one can work down from there.  End product is 8x8 and 4x6 then 2x and finally 1x.

ROUGH CUT

TimGA;  Yes Tim, I do have an overhead lift, but I have found it easier to roll them up some ramps using a winch mounted on the wall of the barn.
  Sorry for the slow response.
It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

Thank You Sponsors!