iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mt. lion in ct?

Started by snowstorm, December 03, 2012, 08:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

on one of the snowmobile sites there is a trail cam picture of a mt lion dragging a good sized deer      in ct

shinnlinger

Is that the one that has been in just about every state?  It may be a hoax, but there are mountain lions coming back up here so anything is possible.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

Quote from: beenthere on December 03, 2012, 10:41:36 PM
Is it this one in this pic and article?

http://www.buckmanager.com/2009/05/21/mountain-lion-really-killed-this-whitetail/

traced to a Texas deer feeder
yup thats it guess ya cant belive everything you see on the internet

SwampDonkey

It's winter time (almost) so we get all kinds of internet hoaxes from cougars, moose pulling cord wood on and on. Just one of those traditions stirred up from reduced daylight hours and boredom. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cypressstump

Yep,, we're starting to use Alligators to pull our boats around down here in effort to save gas..... 8)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

gspren

Quote from: snowstorm on December 04, 2012, 05:05:52 AM
Quote from: beenthere on December 03, 2012, 10:41:36 PM
Is it this one in this pic and article?

http://www.buckmanager.com/2009/05/21/mountain-lion-really-killed-this-whitetail/

traced to a Texas deer feeder
yup thats it guess ya cant belive everything you see on the internet

I saw a commercial that said if it's on the internet it must be true!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

red

june 2011 ML killed on highway in Danbury CT                       DNA traced back to S Dakota
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Brucer

Well, I know for sure there's one around here. Don't see them often because they tend to keep out of sight of people.

A woman in the next town over had one come into her house in the summer when she had door propped open because of the heat. It was old and starving, which is probably why it approached.

And I know they are in northern Washington state because one of our friends just about lost their 5 year old son when a cougar tried to drag him off.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

snowstorm

we went to alberta 2 yrs ago. there was a peice in the paper about a mt lion following someone on the paved bike path between banff and canmore. i have takled to several people here in maine that have seen them. one older man say one back in the 30's

Cypressstump

There's also a picture floating around on the internet of an Elk hunter posing at near dark with a fine Bull he had taken, and 10ft behind the hunter is a big mountian loin ,,, it's photoshopped, but a nice job. :D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

muddstopper

We get reports of sightings all the time in my area. I never believe them. To me its simple, with all the hunters in the woods and all the hunting dogs, how come no one has ever treed a cougar. If there was one here, there would have to be 2, and if there are two, then there would be little ones. Sooner or later a hunter would get after one with his dogs and there would then be proof that they where here. Until I see a hide tacked on a wall, I aint going to believe they are here.

But we do have some tigers here and you can pay to see them.

Jeff

Not sure where you are at, but we had nay sayers up here in the U.P. for years too. People had been glimpsing them for years. Lou saw one jump his driveway two years ago. Only thing it could have been with the log tail. Since then, the nay sayers were all proven wrong with documented trail cam photos and plaster cast of tracks from less than two miles from here by the DNR. Problem is, there are a bunch out there that like to take a photo they get from somewhere and make up stories and send them around the world in an email, then the truth becomes nothing but a blur. We've never caught a wolf here on camera yet, but we have seen them more than once over the years. Last sighting was crossing into my property this past bow season.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

We used to have them here years and years ago. I saw in an old book the last known cougar that was trapped and it was on a hide stretcher, sometime in the 20's. They were few and far between even then. The old guides from way back in the 19th C never even mention them when big game hunting. Lots of sightings here, never any real evidence yet. Not even a track or scat that I've ever seen or heard about as evidence.  We used to have woodland caribou, but they are all gone. They were definitely hunted and recorded as well as their health, and cause of their decline. Many photos and mounts as well. Hard evidence. When my grandfather was young the caribou trails were still here. They were mainly in high country of the Upper and Lower Graham plains area, around Tuadook, Serpentine and Long Lakes, Big Bald Mountain, Serpentine Mountain and the Christmas Mountains. Pretty much at the centre of the province, at the beginning of most our major rivers. Very remote.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

I was a complete non-believer, until I saw one with my own eyes (and a pair of binoculars), on the deer trail that runs behind my house.  That was in October 2000. 

Say when

lumberjack48

They have been seen here in Northern MN as far back as i can remember. My grandfather seen a black one up on the old railroad grade checking traps. Ever once in a while you here somebody talking about seeing one.
When i lived in Sand Lake township back in 1988, they told me the State wardens said there was a main Mt. Lion crossing behind the house we lived in. I never thought to much about. Until one evening just before dark, i was doing something under my pickup. I heard a growl like scream, very loud, i had never hear such a noise. It didn't take me long to get in the house.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/cougar/index.html
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Peter Drouin

We have them in NH too :) I tkink it would be a great pet. watching tv with kitty at your feet :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terry f

I guess my question would be, why aren't there a lot of cougars in the upper midwest, it seems like the perfect place for them. Looks like lots of cover, sounds like lots of deer, so what keeps them out?

Brucer

They are naturally wary of humans, but they are out there.

The case I mentioned above in Washington State occurred on a hiking trail. There was just the one family on the trail and they split up -- Dad and the oldest child wanted to hike on ahead, Mom and the youngest wanted to take their time and pick huckleberries. Just before they split up the father handed the mother a metal water bottle. When the cougar attacked the boy, the mother went after it, beating it around the head with the water bottle, and it gave up and ran away.

The conservation officers who came to investigate found the animals tracks prior to the attack. It had been stalking the family for quite a distance before the attack. I suspect if the family hadn't split up the cougar never would have attacked.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!