iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for MagicMan?

Started by xlogger, November 09, 2013, 05:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Awhile back did I see where you posted a pic of a large C-clamp that you use to hold down a board or cant from turning up before you started sawing? If you do use one how does it work? After you get your blade in place and then clamp the board down can it put too much pressure on the blade going threw the cant or board? Also where did you find one? Or did I just dream this :D. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

No, you are not a dreamer, but it's actual use is slightly different.

This oversize C clamp came from Harbor Freight.  Due to stress, sometimes the ends of a cant will lift up off of the bed rails when a board is removed.  I will flip it over and have my helper stand on the center until I get it clamped.  When I am sawing alone, this was a problem, so enter the C clamp.  I still flip the cant 180° but now pull the bowed center down with the C clamp.  Now I can clamp the the cant and remove the C clamp. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I first saw this pic, I thought your clamp was laying on a BBQ grill and had become cherry red.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That would be taking "tailgating" to the next level.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JMoore

Does the board that you saw after clamping tend to bow??

Magicman

Not necessarily.  If it has a tendency to bow, that can usually be corrected by stickering.

My goal is that the board will be even thickness from end to end.  Obviously when the ends of a cant start to raise up off of the sawmill bed, if you saw it, then the ends will be thicker.  When you flip the cant the first board probably will have thinner ends because some of that board is on the previously removed board.  Carefully watching cant ends is very important.

I just noticed this cant end raise up but I should have seen it before the last board was removed.  I flipped it and re-clamped.

xlogger

Sometimes I can pull the bow down in the middle with the mill clamp, but have to be careful not to tear up the edge of that last board. Might try to pickup one of those clamp like you have. But have you or anyone ever try using one getting the blade next to the cut them clamping it down before starting to cut? I guess the other end would need one also that way, just have to be careful to stop cut before you hit the clamp. Also that way just hope the ends of the cant are near the bunks of the mill.  I don't walk or ride with my mill so I would need a deep clamp.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

I have not had any problem pulling the bowed center down and then clamping the cant.  These are rare occasions, but sometimes when you remove the next board the ends will again pick up and you need to flip it again.   smiley_dizzy

jmouton

Hey magicman  I got the same clamps  and do the same thing you do , it took me a while to figure out how and why what was going on but  we are learning quickly ,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Thank You Sponsors!