iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you get? Mill design?

Started by low_48, May 31, 2007, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

What would you get if you crossed a Logosol and a Peterson swing mill? I've been making some sketches on a new design mill. You would have a variable depth setting with the bar into the log. It would let you have the a lightweight mill that would let you cut anything from 2x2's to 16x16's without rolling the log. You would be limited, in the cut, to the bar depth because of the overlap back at the engine. Maybe you just switch to a longer bar for those cuts or have the mill flip over for 180 degrees to cut from the other side. That way you can cut 16x32's. What do you think? Any help?

brdmkr

I may not be understanding the question, but it sounds like you would have a slabber ???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Furby

No, he would have a swinging slabber! 8) :D :D :D

Really though....... it's not a bad idea, but the cutting speed wouldn't be as great as a swing mill.
Build one and let us know how it works! :)

low_48

Quote from: Furby on May 31, 2007, 08:21:08 PM
No, he would have a swinging slabber! 8) :D :D :D

Really though....... it's not a bad idea, but the cutting speed wouldn't be as great as a swing mill.
Build one and let us know how it works! :)

How could I miss with a name like that? It would be marketing genius :o :o I'd better get a patent attorney on the phone. :D :D I mean everyone will know it is a saw mill with a name like "Swingin' Slabber". Right?

You're right Furby, that's the idea. The bar will be cantilevered and I wonder if that will be the killer. I guess I'll start on a plywood prototype latter this summer to see what happens.

Thank You Sponsors!