iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to purchase a used saw?

Started by woodsteach, March 10, 2004, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

This forum is great and I have enjoyed all of the informaion.  My question of how to purchase a used saw?  It should probably be more like how to know if the saw is on its last leg or just getting broken in?  The saw in question is a 2002 sthil ms310.  Supposedly just used a couple of times cutting a couple cords of firewood.  We fired it up on the 4th pull and it appears to be ok.  They are asking $275.00

Thanks
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

oldsaw-addict

well, if you listen to the engine at idle and at half throttle, you should not hear anything whirring, which would be a bad thing the crank bearings about to go, any rattle when the engine is running is probably bad, if it starts fairly easily and revs from idle to WOT without any hesitation, then it is in fairly good shape. The thing you should ALWAYS do is remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port at the piston and cylinder walls for scoring or anything out of the ordinary, also, I would recommend looking at the cosmetic appearance of the saw as this will tell you if it has been well taken care of or had a hard life and is about to die, a clean and neat looking saw is one that has been well taken care of and will provide many more years of reliable use. I should also mention to check the cylinder cooling fins to see if they have been cleaned out recently or not, as a saw with dirt packed in there will run hotter and wear out sooner.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

woodsteach

Thankyou very much Oldsaw.  

I think that I am going to pick up the saw tonight and cut some wood w/it this weekend.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

oldsaw-addict

Youre welcome, if you need any other help feel free to ask me Kevin or anyone else here for advice. Its part of the reason we're here the other reason is we have a friendly and happy community of people, Welcome to the community.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Bernhard_admin_change

Hopefully you´ve bought the saw. The prices of 275 bucks seemed to be more then ok. Even when it is built in 2002 it won´t have any damage. I use a stihl 028 since 1985 and had only 60$ repair on it during all the years.

woodsteach

I chickened out on the used saw and purchased a new 290 instead.  I used it this weekend to make trails through the trees that we can maintain with a brush hog so our kids 4 and 2 yrs have a nice place to play, and I have a place to set up for deer and turkey. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!