iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 3-53 in Franklin 132 Questions

Started by JBMac76, October 24, 2018, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBMac76

I've purchased a older Franklin 132 with plans of removing the winch and associated gear and making a spray rig out of it for site-prep herbicide applications. A couple of questions maybe y'all could help me with:

1. I think the motor is tired, airbox is full of oil-drains are clear.  Blower doesn't seem to be leaking, vanes are pretty clean. Can a blown head gasket cause this or just worn out oil control rings likely the culprit? It starts and runs like a champ- just blows gray smoke like a freight train.

2. In place of the winch, fairlead, etc; I plan to install a spray system with a 400 gallon tank. I expect with all the rigging it would be a 3800 lb load right over the rear axle-does that seem too much or should I go with a smaller tank?

3. I've got a surplus military 3-53 with 10 hours on it. The cam, rotation and exhaust is on the correct side, the parts like blower, governor are on opposite side.I can work with where they are, but it looks like I could easily switch sides. Also going to have to use the non military camshaft cover to fit the hydraulic pump. Any other concerns using this aluminum blocked 3-53 in a skidder?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie,

John

Logger RK

I put one in my Hahn Harvester. Worked out good for me. But mine is from a Gamagoat. It does'nt have rear cam covers. But you can switch the whole rear cover from what your taking out. But at least on mine,the oil pan is about about inch longer because it's has a 71 serials oil pump.(or that's what iv been told)it's actually the 2nd one I had in it. The first lasted 10,000 hours before I rebuilt it.It went another 10,000,then I found another one to swap out. It was cheaper then rebuilding it again. But back then there was some good deals on them. Not many around theses days

mike_belben

I have only removed detroits, dont know the innards well and especially not two strokes.. But i can say for sure that im two for two on conventional turbo diesel spewing out the intake side being a bent exhaust pushrod.  Once in a cummins and once in a navistar.  If you have one hole that is completely missing the exhaust valve event, itll sound like a basketball being dribbled at engine RPM on a concrete floor.. And that sound will pop out the intake tube.   Its compression going out the intake because exhaust isnt an option.  Horrible sound. 
Praise The Lord

Logger RK

Possible broken injector tip?I had a 471 with that problem this spring. 

kiko

Make sure the cam is on the same side in the replacement engine. These engines can be set up to run clock or counter clock.

bushmechanic

Lots of thick white smoke can be a sign of a bad injector in those 353's. You can do an injector test to see which cylinder is the culprit, or you can pull the exhaust manifold and see which hole is wet. There are no cylinder head gaskets in those engines just fire rings and sealing rings. You can move things from one side to another on those engines but it is not always easy as you have to change the arrangement plate on the back and the rear engine housing. A right hand governor won't bolt to the left, you need a left hand one etc. The rotation is stamped on the end of the camshaft. Personally I prefer the cast iron block 353.  

Thank You Sponsors!