iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas Cans

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, October 05, 2005, 01:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

ever notice the red plastic gas cans do not have the recycling mark on the bottom (for obvious reasons) but I would like to know what type of plastic they are made of....

1  PETE
2  HDPE
4  LDPE
5  PP
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Murf

Well, here goes, but remember, you asked for it.......  :D

PETE = Polyethylene Terephthalate

HDPE = High Density Polyethylene

LDPE = Low Density Polyethylene

PP = Polypropylene

Please don't hold me responsible for a headache or going cross-eyed trying to read and pronounce them.  :D

They are basically a description of the type of plastic from which the container was made.

As a word of caution, most types of plastic gas cans, as well as the material they use for truck bed liners, are capable of making a very healthy static electric spark.

When you fill a plastic gas can, ALWAYS take the container out of the truck's bed, and touch the empty can to the steel portion of the pumpsbody (not nozzle) before you open the container.

Not doing this can lead to a far more exciting day than you might wish for.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

The filling stations here won't let you fill a gas can on the bed of your truck. I tried once just to see how on the ball they are. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

QuoteI tried once just to see how on the ball they are. 

Is that the East Coast way of saying "It was before I had my first coffee of the day."    :D

Sprucegum

First I heard of this, are you talking about the spray-on box liners?

Mike_Barcaskey

ok guys, some great info that I already knew

but what type of plastic are they made of?

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DouginUtah

Mine are:

2 HDPE

-Doug

Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get." – Ray Kroc
(because today was his birthday.  :) )
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Murf

Sprucegum, nearly any type of liner will generate a static charge, include the carpet in the trunk or a car or back of an SUV.

Mike, what type of plastic is what made of?

The hazrd is caused merely by the fact that the plastic in the liner or carpet has no path to ground, so any charge that builds up stays there until it gets a path to ground. If that path is the grounded nozzle of a gas pump the result could be nasty.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hid2.html

Have a read over this warning from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

OneWithWood

I dunno about that static thing - they said that about cell phones too.

I gotsta see it on Mythbusters before I believe it  :P :P ::) :P :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

There was a mechanic working on my truck at the shop one day. And there was a bucket with some gas and oil sittin in it open to the air. He was flick'n his cigarette ashes in the bucket. I said, ain't that a little dangerous. Nope he says, 'want me to show ya?' Next he flicks the whole burning cigarette into the bucket of gas and oil and it simply went out.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Some think that Russian Roulette is fun too.

Paul_H

Yes Tom,gas can be really nasty when played with.I lit my pants,shoes and legs on fire while playing with gasoline at age 14.I dropped and smothered the fire by holding my shins to the ground and sealing the air out with my forearms and was fortunate to come away with only 3rd degree burns on the legs and 2nd on the arms.Wow,what a stench,hurt pretty bad too.

Took a long time to heal properly and gave me a respect for gasoline.Sure wouldn't want to be soaked in it.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

STOP, DROP and ROLE was what we was always taught growing up. ;) It's amazing that the first instinct is to run, with most people.

beenthere

Paul_H......YOU played with gas when you were 14?   :o :o  

I think it was 12 or 13, when we'd take a 5 gal can full of gas, open up the ½" spout hole, tip it up to pour gas out and run around the alfalfa field at night, while the brother or neighbor would light the trail. Just had to run fast enough to stay ahead of the fire 'comin' down the trail.  Then started doing loops and figure eights, just to 'see' if it would work okay. Amazing we survived, and for the life of me, don't know why we thought up some of those things.
Gas was delivered by the Standard truck into a 55 gal barrel standing on end. We didn't have a stand to put it on or a spigot to drain it out. So we would siphon it out, by sucking on the hose until we got a mouthful of gas ( :o :o) and then drop the hose (while spitting out the gas..yuck!) into the 5 gal can to fill it. Learned later that wasn't good for a person to have gas in the mouth.  :-\ ::)

Stood beside the kid who thought dropping a firecracker down the gas tank of a school bus would be cute. As I ran, thinking the bus would soon be going over the bus barn , it only shot fire out the filler pipe with a roar somewhat like a roman candle for quite a spell.

Still, it bothers me to see smokers around gas containers. Don't they know better.  ::) ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mike_Barcaskey

Murf, the gas cans!  :D

not thinking about the spark, but what type of plastic you can put gas into without it disolving the plastic.

can you put gas into a milk jug, #2 HDPE?

I have some nice narrow plastic jugs that are HDPE, fill one of them with gas, one with bar oil, and they fit nicely into a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of chains and a few tools.

Want to use the same type of plastic container that gas cans are made of. plus I'm really getting *pithed off at the new spouts mandated by the clean air act and the jugs are odd sizes.

wiam

Mike,  I do not know the container material gas cans are made of but I have put gas in a bleach container.  The container held ok but the cover turned to goo. :o

On gas and cigarrettes.  I have watched a national arson investigator in a class put out a lit one in a glass of gas.  Not to worry,  the flash point of gas is much higher than the temp of a lit cigarrette.  As a side note your lighter is hottter than the flash point of gas.

Will

SwampDonkey

I use windshield washer jugs for toten gas back in the bush. The cap don't turn to goo.

Brucer

Polyethylene is soluble in automotive hydrocarbons. The high density version takes longer.

Polypropylene is "not recommended" for automotive hydrocarbons.

Nylon is excellent for this application.

Dunno what gas cans are actually made of, but now you got me wondering  ???.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

breederman

milk jugs don"t work for gas. :(
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D  No  :D :D :D even the sun will cause that plastic to crumble like crackers.

mike_van

I think the saftey  osha -  d.o.t. spouts  & cans  were designed by the big oil companies - you waste more than you use - you just can't see what you're filling.  >:(
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

We use spill proof spouts that are spring loaded. I can't for the life of me find an example on the web though. ::) They are required equipment when thinning or cutting wood on some crown licenses. All the saw shops carry them here.

Minnesota_boy

I've spilled plenty of gas with those spring loaded spill proof cans too.  The spring is too stiff and the saw tipped over when it was full and I was trying to get the spout out of the tank.  >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

wiam

I used to use an old bar and chain oil jug.  Now I use a 1 gallon gas can with a solid spout.  I think I spill less. ;)

Will

Thank You Sponsors!