iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer cans vs. Creosote

Started by mattNH, January 03, 2012, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattNH

Anyone ever try using a beer can to help with creosote buildup?  I was told that tossing a can or two into the firebox will cause the creosote to flake off.

I've heard stranger things, and I don't have a problem drinking beers so I have some empties available, but I'd feel more comfortable if others were putting this into practice.

tyb525

Ive heard the same, something about the aluminum can burning acts in the same way as a chimney cleaning log (they both contain aluminum which reacts with the creosote somehow)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

stumper

I do not know it could be problematic for me to "have" to empty a beer can :D

ely

Corley5

Here in Mich. that's the same as throwing dimes in the fire  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hockeyguy

I drink bottles, will they work? 8)

thecfarm

I always see that on returns and wonder why MI and other states are different than Maine. Only be throwing a nickle on the fire here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Some states thought it was a bright idea which proved not to be .

Kind of funny because often people living near Detroit will sneak into Ohio to buy beer because it's cheaper then pawn the cans off in Mich .

Raider Bill

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 05, 2012, 09:02:34 AM
Some states thought it was a bright idea which proved not to be .

Kind of funny because often people living near Detroit will sneak into Ohio to buy beer because it's cheaper then pawn the cans off in Mich .
I remember when NYS did it back in the early 80's Seemed to clean up the sides of the roads and streets pretty quick as people were not so apt to just chunk cans and bottles out the windows.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

Yes it did to a point .However after cans got to about 50 cents a pound scrap they hunted them about like they hunt mushrooms .

Cans aren't really a problem but those danged glass bottles are  at least in Ohio .I will say though it seems people are a little more less polluting that in previous times of yore .

Maybe they figured they didn't want to live in a trash heap or something .Now if they can figure out how to make a deteriating plastic bag that will hold stuff for a period of time they might be on to something .Lordy me those things remind me of "lovers lane " back in the days of my youth without going into details . :D

Corley5

Don't knock our bottle law especially if you don't live here  >:(  ::)  It's one of the best pieces of legislation ever passed in this state.  The rare can or bottle that's thrown out doesn't last long on the roadside.  Non-profit organizations, schools, Scouts, churches  you name it benefit from bottle/can drives.  Many people won't return them and give them away to charity.  There's a regular can rush when the snowmobile trails are driveable in the spring and the locals pick up the beer cans and bottles the out of state snowmobilers threw out all winter.  I've seen pickup loads of empties from a day of two tracking picking up returnables.  It's an all around good thing.  Unfortunately the push to put deposits on non-carbonated drink containers like sports drinks, juices, and teas failed a few years back.

Al_Smith

They pick them up around here too.  Like I said said the roadways are much more cleaned up than in the 70's for example .

You still have the occasional butt hole that dumps off garbage but how do you legislate  against idiots .

Raider Bill

I wish Tennessee had a deposit law. It disgusts me to see the trash in the side of the road there. Every time I go up I pick up cans and bottles along the road.

thenorth

a beer can will not ''burn'', it will melt at approx 1221f, so if you put one in your fireplace and it melts, you have had a good hot fire going, creosote will ignite at approx 451f, therefore, all tars etc are gone after the can has melted eh........
John
Norwood Mill, Splitter, 40 hp Tractor, ATV,2 Husquvarna,

Al_Smith

Quote from: Corley5 on January 05, 2012, 05:00:53 PM
Don't knock our bottle law especially if you don't live here  >:(  ::)  It's one of the best pieces of legislation ever passed in this state.   
Well now okay if you say so .However let's look at this thing .Now I know for a fact things cost more in Mich ,been there .You won't see any more cans on the road ditchs in Ohio than you do in Mich but we aren't saddled with toting cans full and empty to and fro .Not to mention the retailer dealing with those empties who is going to pass that cost to the consumer .

I remember not so many years ago went Ohio had returnable beer and pop bottles at 2 cents a pop .Some of the larger retailers had a full time person just checking the returns .Along came easy to open cans ,cheaper .The bottles are in a museum  now .

Now what you do in Mich is none of my biz and if you want to charge a dollar a can it doesn't affect me in the least .I just think in my opinion it's political mumbo jumbo .FWIW we recycle our cans . ;)

Corley5

It doesn't matter to me what you do in Ohio.  We aren't saddled with returning cans.  We can throw them out just as well.  No fewer carbonated beverages are sold here because of our law than are sold anywhere else.  The last time I bought pop at gas station in Ohio it cost the same as it did over here. 

Al_Smith

Probabley  so in a plastic bottle . ;)

Beer it wouldn't make any difference I don't imagine .I don't think if I wanted to wet my whistle in Mich .I'd whine too much about a dime a can .I'm not so sure though if Mich suds tastes the same .

You should lay off that pop now ,it's poison ,kills rats etc .,nasty .Beer on the other hand contains carbohydrates ,one of the food  groups plus is loaded with vitamin p which flushes the kidneys .

Lest we not soon forget the words of one of the founding fathers of the US ,Ben Franklin .Mr F was to have said "beer is proof that God loves and wants us to be happy " .He didn't go on to say however to burn the cans in the wood stove .

I'd imagine for two reasons ,first he hadn't invented the stove yet and two the  can wasn't  even thought of back then .Besides I doubt you could stuff a wooden beer keg through a stove door any way so that's out too .Geeze though can you imagine how much deposit would be on a beer keg ,mercy me .

Holmes

Welcome to the FF  thenorth.  I agree with you if you can burn or melt aluminum then you have a very hot fire that can certainly ignite creasote. I did find 1 article that says burning beer cans works to eliminate creasote but i do not agree with it.  If the fire is that hot it's the fire not the aluminum.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

gspren

If the aluminum burning does help with creosote removal it would be easier to burn aluminum foil that was not crumpled up. First you should use the foil to bake a potatoe in the ashes or in my Portage & Main I do them in the smoke passage above the burn chamber.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Hmm I grilled a steak in the stove once, never did a baked potato though .My wife thought I acted like a nut .What she didn't know was it wasn't an act . 8)

John Mc

Once again, a FF thread turns to food...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Well yeah you can't  live on the beer alone you have to drink to feed the fire with the cans . :D

Logging logginglogging

I have heard of people using copper, but never aluminum cans cans.
In the summer, you can put a bowle of amonia in there and it will flake off any creasote, that you couldent get scraped off.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on March 01, 2012, 04:08:35 PM
I have heard of people using copper, but never aluminum cans cans.
In the summer, you can put a bowle of amonia in there and it will flake off any creasote, that you couldent get scraped off.

Do you just leave it sit there?
I wonder if it will keep the blue birds from trying to nest in mine. They end up dead in the firebox every year.

Banjo picker

I have a friend thats a bona fide chimney sweep and he recomended that I put a few cans in from time to time...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!