iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Root rakes/grapples

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 07, 2013, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Any and all info on these attachments appreciated.
I have a Kubota 8540 fwd tractor with FEL and wish to clear some brush land.
there are probably many opinions on these and i would like all i canget.
thanks pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dsgsr

This is my grapple. It's very rugged, I've moved mountains of brush with this and 2000lb rocks. I like that it will open to 60". Made by Addington Equipment in N.H. not sure if they are still in business I bought this one about 6 or 7 yrs. ago.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

JDeere

Petefrombearswamp,  I have a 72" John Deere (Frontier) root rake or grapple on my 115HP tractor. We use it primarily to move logs or firewood and it has worked well for that. I had some cross members installed between the tines to beef it up. I would recommend you get as heavy duty a grapple as you can find. Addington Equipment is still in business and makes a very rugged product. www.addingtonequipment.com
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Norm

Only thing I can add is make sure you get one stout enough to handle the power of your tractor. I have the biggest skid steer JD makes and should have went with a heavier duty one. I'll be adding some additional supports as well as doing some straightening of it....

scsmith42

Pete, I'm going to put in a word from my root rake / grapple that was made by Loflin Fabrication in Denton, NC. 

I bought it used from the original owner when it was about 3 years old.  At 6 years of age, the hyd cylinders started leaking and I contacted Loflin about purchasing some rebuild kits.  Turns out that my grapple had welded cylinders on it that could not be rebuilt.

Loflin explained this to me and told me that they had only used the welded cylinders for a few months production, before going back to rebuildable cylinders.

They told me that if I would send them my existing cylinders, they would replace them with brand new cylinders - at no charge.

I thought that I heard the guy wrong, and asked him to repeat what he said.  Even though I was not the original buyer, they still stood behind their product 6 years after it was made.  I didn't even ask them for this, and fully expected to pay for new cylinders.

Can't beat that for customer service.  Plus it's a great rake.

http://www.loflinfabrication.com/
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thecfarm

Not many companies would do that. More companies need to pay attention.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slab Slicer

A friend of mine has a similar unit to this. This is on a skid steer, but Kubota makes one also. No need to go with Kubota though. There are alot of aftermarket companies that make them. Like Norm mentioned, match the tractor to the attachment. No need buying a whimpy unit, when your tractor will handle more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bv7j6dRP-w

These work great for moving logs for the mill also.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!