iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new saw Question??

Started by Bosco, May 14, 2018, 10:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

I'm in the gettin older/need a lighter saw situation , I got a ms180, like it alot and the ol'lady loves it! I been reading other posts, dont know why they hate the no tool function?? Anyway I got steep terrain,millions of worthless small ponderosa pines that need clearing, I like the way my bigger saw throws chips and walks threw 'em but climbing up and down hill wears me out so I grab the small "womans saw" my question is what saw could I get that would be powerful enough to run a chain that throws chips and still be small and light ?? most trees are small diameter . thanx in advance!

DelawhereJoe

Have you looked into the Stihl ms 241 or ms 261, the 241 is 1.1hp more then the 180 and the 261 is 2 hp more then the 180. Both would be a big step up in cutting speed.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

Would you be better off with a clearing saw over a chainsaw ? If there are millions of tiny/small ponderosa pines, it would save you from having to bend over to stump them off at the ground.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

firefighter ontheside

What's your "bigger" saw?  I have an older 025 that's my light saw and a new MS291 that's my "bigger" saw.  The 025 is still a very capable saw, but it is noticeably lighter than the 291.  I especially notice the difference when cutting brush where I'm waving the saw around.  Perhaps an MS250 with a 16" bar would be good for you.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bosco

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 15, 2018, 08:09:38 AM
What's your "bigger" saw?  I have an older 025 that's my light saw and a new MS291 that's my "bigger" saw.  The 025 is still a very capable saw, but it is noticeably lighter than the 291.  I especially notice the difference when cutting brush where I'm waving the saw around.  Perhaps an MS250 with a 16" bar would be good for you.
My bigger saw is a stihl 310, and I also have a Husky 55, I', hearing good things abouy "Echo"? I have other stihl products and they've all been good , just gotta keep the ethanol away from them.

Bosco

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 14, 2018, 11:38:37 AM
Would you be better off with a clearing saw over a chainsaw ? If there are millions of tiny/small ponderosa pines, it would save you from having to bend over to stump them off at the ground.
I'm not familiar with them, but  "small Ponderosa's are up to 8-10"

TimberCreek

We love our Echo saws. 5yr consumer warranty - always start - MUCH cheaper than Stihl/Husky. They have been great.
cs271 top handle 12"  and CS400 18". We have had the 400 for about 6 years - it has never failed to start. The 271 abotu 3 or 4 years and it has never failed either. We also run ethanol but dont let it sit without stabilizer.

We also have an older husky 325 that I despise and a husky Blower that wont run for more than one time of cleaning driveway. but, 2 husky weed eaters that have been really good.
TK 2000 debarker, dragbacks, full hydro.
Portable or at home.

knuckledragger

I'm thinking "millions" is an embellished number, however you must have a considerable amount to even say "millions". Stihl fs 90-130 fourmix with a beaverblade on will make short work of pines four inches and smaller. I've got the fs 110 fourmix, it has lots of torque and runs smoothly. When you become familiar with the beaverblade I can't imagine you being unsatisfied with the combo.

ladylake

A Echo CS352 is really light, if you open up the muffler and tune good the power will surprise you for 33 cc.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!