iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 120 Forwarder with a Roof Mount Loader.

Started by c greenham, August 21, 2018, 11:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c greenham

Hi All,

I'm looking for some info on a Franklin Forwarder with a roof mount loader.  Not sure of the year.

Any one have any experience operating one? What common issues to look for when purchasing a machine like this.

Any Help greatly appreciated..

nativewolf

If you search the forum you'll find several discussions on the franklin forwarder.  I looked at one that was not roof mounted but some folks have them and commented.  Basically, you have great vision and unfortunately you will wear hydraulic fluid.  

It seems you've found what should be a very inexpensive machine, if I was handy and the price was right I'd have one like that for small spaces.  I'm not handy and the price on the one here in VA got pretty high in auction so I walked away from the bidding.  
Liking Walnut

Corley5

That's got a different style loader than my 132.  They work good but don't wear good clothes operating them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Look for slop in the pins.  All the pins.  Loader, blade, center.  Listen for noises that shouldn't be there.  Growls, clunks etc.  Play in shifting linkages.  Do the brakes work?  Detroit or Perkins engine?  Looks pretty straight :)  I don't like the exhaust sticking up like that.  It'll get ripped off.

Corley5

c greenham

I think the milk crates were used as a place to carry the chain saw.

c greenham

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Logger RK

mike_belben

Walnut shaker.  You just scooch up under there, bang the tree with the boom and profit. 
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

That boom is a Cranab 6025 with an extension. We had a lot of those back in the 90's they held up well but in some of the hills we were on were too much for them and they would break a tooth off the swing mast. 

c greenham

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Looks good.  Should be fast with those racing slicks!

:laugh:
Praise The Lord

barbender

Nice score! A little paint and it will clean right up, go through those hoses over the cab and save yourself some oil showers down the line. 
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Good looking old buggy 8) 8) 8)  X2 on the hoses over the cab.  I've been showered.

mike_belben

Get some firehose, and slip it over any hoses that put you in danger as you replace them.  Itll keep sun degrading down, and reduce your chance of getting a fluid injection or a serious oil bath.

Hoses are replaced periodically and ive been lucky enough to get a few unused spools free.  Works great. Way cheaper than spiral wrap. Ask around at fire depts or any fire service companies for expired or damaged hose.
Praise The Lord

c greenham

Thanks for the idea on using a fire hose on the lines great idea.  

mike_belben

Sure no problem.  

Speaking of oil baths, the return hose just jumped off the barb on my splitter and showered the entire pile.  Customers gonna love the BTUs in that load. LOL
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

c greenham

Anyone have any info on the braking system for this unit?? All that I can find is the brake pedal it seems the master cylinder as been removed.  

The blade does work fine but I would like a brake, this is the first forwarder I have ever owned or operated.  

Corley5

It may have internal brakes in the transfer case.  That's where my 132 has them.

c greenham

The Brakes haven't worked in some time, the blade is half worn away from being used as a brake.

Thinking of trying to install a caliber system as mentioned on here in previous posts.

Thank You Sponsors!