iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt Brands for Band Wheels

Started by pine, September 12, 2018, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

I have looked at previous posts on belts and they mostly discuss folks preferences on length B56 B57 etc.
My question is what brands have folks found that wear the best/longer etc.

There are as many manufacturers as can be counted, some of which I have never heard of and others that are common names.
Just curious what folks have found wear the best with the least issues.
Is the price just reflective of the name recognition or are they higher quality?  
Would guess most are Chinese sourced but you can get good products from the PRC and you can get less than good products.  
Don't actually know what belts are US sourced anymore.

Magicman

The belts that Wood-Mizer sells are especially manufactured to their specifications.  They are flat topped rather than crowned and there is no ply overlap on the top which could cause vibration.  The belts are very reasonably priced.  Matter of fact I personally have never seen any Wood-Mizer replacement parts that were not comparatively priced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

charles mann

Do you have to own a WM to buy parts from them? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

PAmizerman

I would think they would sell to any one that is willing to pay. They are in retail.
Just give them a call. Worst They can say is no but I'd be surprised.  Indy number is 
1800 553 0182
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

I only use belts from woodmizer. I know there right that way. I've never had trouble with them the price is more than fair and I get parts next day when I order from WM
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Magicman

My understanding is that you must be a registered WM sawmill owner and have a customer number to buy replacement sawmill parts, etc, but I would think that blades and belts would be disposable items and for sale to anyone. 

Make the call and then please report back here. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PAmizerman

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Southside

I have tried other brands of belts - not worth it, they don't last nearly as long, the WM belts are the way to go.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

charles mann

Copy on all. Ill contact them and report back. There are some parts i would like to incorporate from their line of mills, into mine. But i WOULD need a part number, and im sure that the only to get the maint and ipc manauls, is to be a registered wm owner. 
Temple, Tx

Crusarius

I definitely be interested to know to. I want some of their parts on my mill.

petefrom bearswamp

Whatever you do dont buy the Orange tight fitting belts they are crap
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

It's my understanding the woodmizer supplied belts are made by goodyear and browning..The internal construction is different from parts store belts. I usually have the guys toss a couple of belts in the box when I order new blades, even if I don't need them at the time..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Does WM also sell belts that will be tight on the wheel, or just the floppies.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

Just b57 to my knowledge.
I had a short romance with 56s in the far distant past
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Furu

Quote from: pine on September 12, 2018, 01:00:47 PM
I have looked at previous posts on belts and they mostly discuss folks preferences on length B56 B57 etc.
My question is what brands have folks found that wear the best/longer etc.

There are as many manufacturers as can be counted, some of which I have never heard of and others that are common names.
Just curious what folks have found wear the best with the least issues.
Is the price just reflective of the name recognition or are they higher quality?  
Would guess most are Chinese sourced but you can get good products from the PRC and you can get less than good products.  
Don't actually know what belts are US sourced anymore.
Lots of comments/answers regarding Woodmizer/B57 belts but nothing for the B56 belt side of the OP's question.
As a non Woodmizer owner and a user of B56 belts I also would like to see if anyone has any experience with which brand of B56 belts work the best.

ladylake

It used to be Goodyear that stood up the best until they cheapened them up.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: Furu on September 14, 2018, 02:32:11 PMbut nothing for the B56 belt side of the OP's question
I fail to read where there was a B56 vs B57 side of the OP's question.  To me he said that he had seen those discussions but now wanted to know what brands that we have found to wear the best/longer, etc.

My new belts say:  Wood-Mizer and Made in Mexico.  The only time that I ever have to replace them is because they sometimes get cut by a broken blade.  I don't think that I have ever actually worn one out.  As long as you have plenty of height above the bandwheels you are good to go.  I actually replace cut belts that would still run but to run them would be sorta like wearing your cleanest dirty shirt.  I probably use 3-4 belts per year.

bandmiller2

When I built my band mill 15 years ago I put a pair of Gates B-56 belts on. I still have the same belts on. They have changed the profile of the belts I tried a new set but the top would not clear the top of the sheeve and the band would be rubbing on iron. I put the old belts back on, really no wear on them. I have run mills with loose belts and can see no advantage other than ease of installation. I like belts with a slight crown for the same reason metal wheels have a crown. Flat top belts work but I've found them a little fussier to align. I am keeping my eyes open for some new old stock belts as I would sooner not grind down the lips on my sheeves for clearance. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 13, 2018, 05:29:31 PM
Whatever you do dont buy the Orange tight fitting belts they are crap

I also fell for that dumbo-jumbo.....once. :-\

bandmiller2

I second the orange belt fiasco, I tried a set. If you have them already or are just itching to try them follow the directions and lube them well. If not there will be stretched thin spots and a bumpy ride for the band. Frank C.

Ga Mtn Man

FWIW, non-WM owners can buy mill parts from Wood-Mizer (but perhaps not all parts are available ???). 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

charles mann

I spoke with a woodmizer salesman the other day in east tx. He said SOME parts are NOT available for purchase to non wm owners, but a good bit are available. A non wm owner just needs to set up a purchase acct or something to that affect. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!