iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finish for walnut

Started by Dan_Shade, September 15, 2018, 08:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm about finished building a crib for the wee one out of walnut (I'll attempt to post some pictures this evening). 

Do any of you have a recommendation for finishing walnut?  I'm leaning towards using garnet shellac. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Ok, I'm piddling instead of working:

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rjwoelk

Very nice. I like that slightly lower front. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

bwstout

That is assume build. I use Pre-Cat Lacquer very hard finish. I use satin on the table tops makes the blues come through on walnut. I  use the gloss on most of my bowls it hold up nice under heavy use. But like any finish that is on something that is use a lot over time will need to be refinished again. 
home built mill

WV Sawmiller

Real pretty work. I am envious.

The only thing I ever use on my walnut is tung oil. Whatever you use I would suggest you check to make sure it is safe around children. When the wee one starts teething he/she may chew on whatever is handy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dan_Shade

I thought about the teething, my beautiful walnut will be all chewed up!

Shellac should be safe if he eats any of it.   One reason that I'm leaning towards it. 

Southside

In this instance could you call that "cribbing"?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bwstout

Once Pre-Cat Lacquer is dry it is food safe
home built mill

Brad_bb

It's furniture, so most any finish will dry and shouldn't be a problem.  So then it comes down to what you want the finish to look like.  Oil, poly, Lacquer, water based Urethane.  Water based urethane will have a true clear finish giving the walnut a true chocolate color without any orange tones. I like General Finishes products.  Consider the amount of gloss you want as well.  A water based flat finish looks good.  Don't let the "flat" fool you, it does have some gloss.  You do have to keep the product stirred as you use it or the flattening agent can settle out and you'll get a glossier finish.  Just stir well each time before you use it.  Finishing is a whole art in itself besides woodworking.  It takes patience. Expect the finishing to take as long as the build did.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

gunscrew

I use Teak oil on most of my walnut gun stocks ,but don't know about a baby chewing on it. 

low_48

Shellac doesn't give the greatest moisture resistance. And by moisture, it can come in a lot of forms in a crib. There could even be the case when a liquid disinfectant will be needed when feces, urine, and vomit hit the walnut. Shellac will not hold up to that! A couple of thin coats of satin poly would be my choice. Unless you can get conversion varnish at a pro store. That would be my first professional choice.

Dan_Shade

I decided to use lacquer.

I'm happy so far.  The back has the final coat. 

FLPINERAT

Very nice, I like it!

Friend built one once for a couple, don't recall wood species....but the couple required it unfinished and they used the "salad bowl/cutting board" finish oil on it!

thecfarm

That looks nice.
And the crib is for what wee one? Yours?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bwstout

looks great, I like lacquer finish it is easy to repair and will take abuse.
home built mill

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Dan_Shade

Thanks, my technique is improving. I realized that I was not using a wet enough coat and was having a rough finish, so I sprayed a thicker coat. 

I used some ngr stain thinned with acetone to even out the color.  

Dan_Shade

I entered the crib in the woodmizer personal best contest. 

123maxbars

nice work, I use waterlox on my walnut, turns out great, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Dan_Shade

I didn't realize that I didn't post the finished crib.  Things are busy at my place. :) 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

I assume this is done already, just ran accross it.  i like Watkins danish oil.  for a child item, might then go with a minwax satin urethane.  spar for uv protection and water proof.

just oil

oil plus finishing wax.

satin spar polyurethane.  just saw the first 2 posts and no other reply, now i see page two.  just getting off work.  tired I guess,  very nice work Dan
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Great job and the finish is really nice!

Thank You Sponsors!