iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Torn

Started by Jeff, September 19, 2018, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My mom used to have a porch swing that hung from a metal frame. After she past away, my brother in law took the swing and replaced the rotted boards on it. It then was taken up to the cabin where it was stowed in a shed the last 9 years. My sister gave it to me to bring home. The problem is, the metal swing supports are rotted right out. If I did something to replace them, it would be like the story of Washingtons axe and nothing of the original left. Most of me wants to put it out to the side of the road, but the part of me near my heart doesn't want to.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

Jeff rebuild it and bring it home
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

GRANITEstateMP

Jeff,

Any chance you could rig it so it went on the back of Mr.Truck for drive in movies?  

PS - Do you guys got any drive in's left?

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Texas Ranger

fix it, bub, your mother and brother in law will smile down on you
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I had to rebuild a good portion of the support on my Granddad's old swing that hangs on the Cabin front porch.  The effort is/was worth the pain and the reward was great.

It was/is all wood.  That old swing is nearing 100 years old.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

I'm of the opinion that nothing has value. All the "treasures" people obsess over are tomorrow's yard sale trinkets, and eventually forever lost to time. It's the thought by the individual that makes things valuable to /that/ person. In this case, it's a couple bucks in wood and some metal tubing, but it was your mother's wood and tubing. Even if it's like Washington's axe, it's still your mother's swing as long as someone remembers.

tl;dr
I'd fix it.

DeepWoods

Jeff, if it were me, I would repair it.  My father in law had a bench down by the lake that sat there for as long as I remember.  When it was so rotted as to be unsafe to sit in, I built a new one from a cedar tree that I milled.  I made as close to an exact duplicate as I could.  None of the family members think of it as the bench that I built, but as continuation of the memory that my father in law built.  It really is the memories that count.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Magicman

That reminds me of a conversation that I had with a close family member regarding my tree farm property.  My statement was that the property had "no value" but in fact was a "liability".  She went berserk and when she finally settled back to Earth I tried to explain.  The property only has value if I sell it, which I won't.  The liability is that it cost me over $5K per year in taxes, insurance, and upkeep.  Simply put, I do not own it but rather am the caretaker of the property during my limited lifetime.  I will never derive any income from the property because I had to cut/sell timber in order to pay her for her share.  I have planted trees and care for it so that I can pass it on in better shape than it was in when I got it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jwilly3879

Take it apart and bring the frame pieces to a good muffler shop. They can duplicate any of the curves. Have it powder coated and it will last forever, just like the memories of your Mom.

Jeff

I'm going to check with logrite and see if they can help.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mrcaptainbob

I would have new tubes made to the same shape, powder coated (same color...) as suggested and place them right next to the originals.

Oliver05262

Try to do something to the inside of the tubing, too. Drain holes to let out any accumulation of water and something to rustproof the steel.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Ianab

Can you get the new pipes hot dip galvanised? That covers it inside and out, and will last for decades. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerTed

Fix it, use it and enjoy it!  My children are of the generation that doesn't want the items my parents, grandparents and great grandparents used and valued.  So the Doc and I use and enjoy things like Grandpa's swing.  Dad had it and "renewed" it.  When Mom and Dad moved to the retirement village, I got the swing.  It is a favorite place for the Doc and I in the evenings.  

I also have the swing that Dad built on the other end of the porch.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is just me....I would leave it like it is and display it in my shop up on a wall. 
May be used as a shelf while on the wall.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

If we hung you on the wall it would be called a "mount".   :o

DPatton

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!