iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Tape Measure

Started by Magicman, March 14, 2019, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am sorta ripped because both companies that made tape measures that I regularly use have "discontinued and improved" them out of existence.  I like a 1¼" X 25' tape with the extra large hook for catching the end of logs/lumber.

Neither of these are now available.  The Dewalt has now become their "Premium" tape measure but the new and improved belt clip will not clip onto a belt.

The Stanley Bostitch 33-001 has become a Stanley 33-725 which does not have the extra large hook.  I found this out when my new Stanley tape arrived in the mail.  :-\  Stanley now makes a tape with a detachable large hook, but detachable to me means loose-able.

So my solution was to remove the hook from my broken Bostitch and fix the new Stanley.  A screw and some JB Weld fixed it up quite nicely.

The Dewalt on the left compared with the modified Stanley on the right.  I'll just have to remember not to discard a broken tape without first removing the hook.  The tip no longer moves for inside/outside measurements but that is a feature that I do not use on the sawmill.

Thankfully I still have two new Dewalts so I am not down for the count yet.  ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I hate it when they fix things that weren't broken.  My favorite pants to wear were some Dungarees.  They changed the name and said that otherwise they are exactly the same.  Not even close.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I use stanley 25 or 35 foot tapes in the shop.  do not need that length, but makes for rigidity so I can extend them out.  i have a couple logging tapes, but they are flexible and so you have to do a lot of walking.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sixacresand

I don't have a favorite or carry one. I just like one  to be available where  I go:  the mill, on the tractor,  the shop, the truck.  However, my wife carries one in her purse.  Not a cute, dainty 3 footer, but a wide 25 ft Stanley.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

OffGrid973

Not sure if this is a "Watcha Measuring" thread or "MOD" to include in existing thread.

As I ponder I am waking to the garage to check my tape ends :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

jmouton

i like any tape measure i can find!!!  dont care about brand,  i usually buy used tapes at auctions , i have probably  have  25 tapes around somewhere ,  they always get lost or broke , so buying good tape s are expensive,,  i keep one good tape in my truck and thats where it stays and gets put back everytime,  

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Magicman

This is the only tape that I trust for measuring short stuff.

One foot.  ;D

Two feet.  :)

Three feet.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

No more pictures of  F E E T. !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Dana Stanley

Here is a tape measure review! Link Its older though!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Southside

Magicman, certainly you could rig up a Spencer nail to the end of one of those tapes and have a custom made, high speed, low drag, log measuring tape. Think of it as a "Mini Magic Hook".  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

i think now we should refer to you as, ;D "Magic Maninski". :D   polish tape!!
what is in the back ground?  is that granite, or grits ?????????   :D

Peter Drouin

Good job on the fix, I bet I have 10 or more out at the mill, and sometimes I can't find one. ::) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Tape measures have to be seeded into all rooms and every piece of equipment. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

AZ_builder

I hate tape measures! My 100' Stanley is tombed in my house foundation I'm sure! I lose them as often as I lose carpenter pencils. I've also been blamed for losing dad and grandpas tapes since before I even knew what a tape measure was. As of tonight..... I have one working tape that was a freebie from work. Funny this thread comes up when I'm planning on restocking tapes like toilet paper.

AZ_builder

I do have a calibrated eyeball for measurement and a torque wrench in my elbow but I like to double check.

Magicman

I actually did install a hook on the junker tape that I was using on that long road trip.  I see that it still has sand on it.  :-X

Ugly but I could hook the end of a log or even catch the bark midway and it would hold.

All of the logs were bucked to 11' so I painted a swath of red paint at 11',

and another at 22' which speeded everything up because I only looked for the red and not at any numbers.

doc:  Dats da granite da holds da plate dat holds da Grits dat I just ate.  ;D

Peter, my sawmill tape clips to the sawmill seat and is always handy for my right hand to grab.

I wondered if it would show up in a picture and there it is.  I never remove it and have only had one stolen in over 16 years of leaving it at customer's locations. 

terrifictimbersllc

I like these. Usually less than $10.  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I am partial to the 1¼" tape with the 13' standout length and the extra large end hook.  ;D 

Lufkin makes an "Xtra-Wide" 1 3/16", 800 Series tape that does mighty well that sells for ~$15.

Southside

Quite the hook.  I have an old box of shoeing nails, you bring the tapes, I will bring the nails to Jakes and we can have a party!!  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

My tapes like to ride.  That is, ride away in my customer's trucks :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

I lose em break em and run over em 
I buy the cheapest ones I can find.
My spencer loggers tape has a hook on the end i took from a worn out diameter tape.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tylerltr450

I like to go to Habor Freight with a tape measure coupon and get me a freebe when a buy a cheap item. For some reason tape measures go missing all the time, never to be found again.

Not the best however free is for me, plus it has to nice dummy numbers on for quick checking.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on March 15, 2019, 07:52:23 AM
My tapes like to ride.  That is, ride away in my customer's trucks :).
Ain't that the truth?  Some of them even migrate back, like salmon.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Beavertooth

As long as I am dealing with 16ft stuff or shorter I prefer the 16ft Stanley Fat Max because it is so much lighter and easier to get your hand around than the 25ft. I do have the 25ft for the longer stuff. If you have never tried the 16ft you would be well pleased with it on shorter stuff. I found them on sale at Home Depost last year in a twin pack. One 16ft and one 25ft  for $11.95.  Best deal I ever saw on the Fat Maxes    
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

hacknchop

One of the tools that never get used to the point of wearing out at least not by me I 've pulled them apart cut them tied to measure 26' with a 16 ' tape .  Now that's not the case with everyone I had an older machinist who took me under his wing and tried to teach me how to do stuff he was 74 I was 23 anyway he would send me outside to look for some 3/8" PLATE or something with his tape measure which was warn blank from about 1 1/2 " on and I would tell his tape was no good had no marks on it, he'd measure with it and be right on then he'd tell me that he knew were the marks used to be.
Often wrong never indoubt

doc henderson

beav

Hacknchop that was hilarious!!!

Crossroads

Any tape that will return on its own is my favorite one
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

newoodguy78

Like Beavertooth said if you can get by with a 16' tape the fatmax is really good I prefer them. The recoil spring in them is incredible will retract when it gets wet and with some dirt on it. If it's clean lookout, the end is coming at you fast

Kwill

I like these. Been using them for quite some time. Just bought a new one today

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

kczbest

Two of the things in this world that are hard to beat are Stanley Fat Max tape measures and Garlic Cheese Grits!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

firefighter ontheside

I brought my trailer to the firehouse with me this week so my buddy could take it and load some logs on it for me.  I got some very nice white oak and oak walnut.  I used a firehouse tape measure to measure the logs and guess what......it was very nice for measuring the logs with the big hook.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

And that is the tape measure that is no longer available.  Been replaced/upgraded?? with a new and improved model with a completely unusable belt clip.  :-\  Yup, that big hook is what started this topic.  ;D

doc henderson

got one of these and this is what happened the first time i pulled it to 14 feet.

at lowes I found this with high vis.  i have not pulled it out over 4 feet so we will see.  

Magicman

That appears to be a very good tape and with a 360° hook on the end.  Yours is black and I see that they also offer it in the traditional yellow:  Lufkin Tape  It's nice to see that someone is filling the void that was created when Stanley/Bostitch "improved" theirs.

Brad_bb

As someone who once worked for a large tool company, it's true.  Something like a tape like that, they can't just sell the same thing for 10 years.  They need a "new" product to sell to the retailers.  So they keep changing the look and minor things, which really aren't any noticeable improvement.  It's perceived as new or a way to attract the retailer, and the end customer.  As an end user, the changes are wasted on me- i'm all about function and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  To a lot of consumers who compare looks of the various tapes and what catches their eye it does make a difference in sales, unfortunately.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

yes brad, and the tip is "diamond coated" too.  you are right.  now the tape is rough and dull instead of slick and glossy.  @Brad_bb   :)

Peter Drouin

I buy what on sale, then buy all of them. Tapes around here don't last long. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scsmith42

My problem with tape measures is not that they walk off - it's that my employees kill them!  This is an almost new Keson (I may have used it a dozen times) that an employee used today.  For some reason my guys manage to put a tear in the end of the tape about six inches from the end.  It causes them to hang up, cut your hand, and eventually break off.   >:(

Every nice tape that I've bought for myself ends up getting destroyed by someone else.  I'll bet that I've bought fifteen tape measures in the last 12 months.

Grrr...... 

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

I saw a whole basket of those new fangled black and green ones at Tractor Supply the other day - all in the clearance basket, which is where I usually buy my tapes given the rough life they lead - can't say I was all that impressed with that color combination, left them there.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

a tape is like a hammer, you can buy the first one for an employee and put their name on it.  If it is lost or broken, they buy their own or it can be furnished and the cost taken out of pay.  they will try a lot harder to not tear them up.  i read a good book called "tools of the trade"  and tools are like your wife, you do not lend them out, even to your best friends.  tools i will let friends use, but most of my friends return things better than they found them.  My family not so much.  That is why i do not lend my wife, she is too good already! :D :D :D  In this book the old German master tells his apprentice, " my framing square is the most dangerous tool you can borrow.  for if you drop it and knock it out of square, it will be my sad duty to kill you!"

LAZERDAN

Who is the author of the book, can t seem to find it.

Lazerdan

doc henderson

Not sure it is still in print.  I bought it at a restoration hardware years ago, and went back and got 4 more copies.  I will add info later. written by the apprentice.  It is not fiction but great stories.

doc henderson

here it is.  I bought extra copies to give to friends that I used to do projects with.

doc henderson

found it used and new on amazon.  have been looking for additional copies for years.  I actually lost these in our move years ago.  very funny and insightful short chapters.  imparts the wisdom from the point of view of the young apprentice, who at the time of writing is a master carpenter.  the cover is different.

Dana Stanley

Just ordered it. It was only $6.00
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

LAZERDAN

Thank you  I will order it too

Lazerdan

Ljohnsaw

I just ordered one for $6.32 + 45¢ tax with free shipping.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!