iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power Split log splitters?

Started by Roscoe294, March 23, 2019, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe294

powersplit.com

Ok, I've been looking at these for a few years. I'm leaning toward them over a processor because all I process is tree service wood. Not a whole lot of pole type wood in tree service unless a property lot is being cleared. And then it comes at a cost. A cut up tree from a yard is almost always free if you hook up with the right tree services but you must take the good with the bad to have a good marriage.
So who has one (with conveyor)? The testimonials on their website all look convincing enough to buy one but what makes someone do a testimonial video? Is there kick back from PS? Are these owners really that happy? Do they just want to be on social media? Please tell me......Another thing is I cant find any other videos other than the ones by PS.
In all videos I have yet to see anyone split a piece of wood with knots or a fork in it.
Can the machine handle some knotty wood? Has anyone who owns one put any questionable wood through it?
Just looking for a little info. Thanks

barbender

They seem like a lot of $$ to me, for what they are.
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

Powersplit is/was made by Timberdevil.I own a Timberdevil and saved a lot of money by buying directly from them.Timberdevil is a 2 man shop located in LaConcepcion,QC.They do have a website and some promo videos.They have a bi-lingual sales rep who is a pleasure to deal with.
I picked mine up at the shop and brought it across the border to Vermont,no duty fee,no broker needed as long as for your own use.
The Timberdevil is fast and a pleasure to use.Extremely twisted/knotty can be a problem,but if you use common sense and work with the machine you won't be disappointed

As you can see mine is a basic model.The single unit with conveyor would be really sweet but beyond the size of my wallet.This was $5845.00 USD
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Pclem

I had a powersplit like 47sawdust. I matched it up with a conveyor I had already. It was truly THE BEST splitter I have owned. Yes, they are pricey, but worth the money ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with tree service wood. I've had a timberwolf tw5, tw5FC, and a supersplit. I've been getting more consistent logs, so I can run most through the processor. My wife usually re-splits, and prefers the supersplit so she won ;D. I had 100# logs on it, knarly logs, and it split it all. I don't know if the guys doing the testimonials are reimbursed at all, but I would have been willing to give a testimonial for free. The biggest advantage with the machine is being able to take a round, make multiple splits with the single wedge one way, turn the log, and split through again waffle style. Everything is right there using both hands and not having to constantly reach for resplits. They get my vote all the way.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

barbender

They definitely make smart use of ergonomically designed controls to get the most production out of a small splitter (I'm speaking of the base model). As far as splitters splitting whatever you put on them, that doesn't impress me too much. Anything with a two stage pump should. I've never had my MTD homeowner unit fail to split a piece either.

Pclem

Quote from: barbender on March 24, 2019, 03:49:33 PM
They definitely make smart use of ergonomically designed controls to get the most production out of a small splitter (I'm speaking of the base model). As far as splitters splitting whatever you put on them, that doesn't impress me too much. Anything with a two stage pump should. I've never had my MTD homeowner unit fail to split a piece either.
Sure, most splitters will split anything. I was responding to the original question if anyone has put knarly or questionable wood through it.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

barbender

I didn't mean to make that sound snarky, pclem. I was just trying to make the point, that unless something is a fast cycle splitter with a small diameter cylinder etc, they will all split anything.

thecfarm

Some good looking ideas there. I forgot how much mine splitter cost,probably 1 grand today. I betcha that blue spilter is more than a grand. But it's worth more too. I did have some old pine 3 feet across to split. And I still do. ;) Only good for pulp and even if I was cutting it myself I doubt I would get 40 a cord after trucking.Might just as well put them through the OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roscoe294

Quote from: thecfarm on March 24, 2019, 08:35:18 PM
Some good looking ideas there. I forgot how much mine splitter cost,probably 1 grand today. I betcha that blue spilter is more than a grand. But it's worth more too. I did have some old pine 3 feet across to split. And I still do. ;) Only good for pulp and even if I was cutting it myself I doubt I would get 40 a cord after trucking.Might just as well put them through the OWB.

thecfarm what are you talking about?

thecfarm

To answer Roscoe294.
Some good ideas there,meaning the power splitter.
I forgot how much mine splitter cost. I bought a splitter years ago,just one of those vert,honz ones,find them at any big box store,Tractor Supply,cost about $1000 today.
I betcha that blue splitter is more than a grand. I would think that power splitter is more than $1000.
But it's worth more too. I would say that Power Splitter is worth the extra money too.
I did have some old pine 3 feet across to split. And I still do. Before I had the OWB I was cutting some big pine.Some went for saw logs some went for pulp and some went for pallet logs. Which pallet log grade is gone now. So all the ugly stuff goes for pulp. This is on my land. If I get those big ugly ones down all I will get is about $40 after trucking. No sense in cutting hardwood,might just as well cut the big ugly pine and use it for firewood in the Outdoor Wood Boiler,OWB.
All set now??

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Allar

Sure looks like a well built machine.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Pclem

The cycle time on the powersplit was faster than the TW5 fast cycle too. I believe the timberwolf advertises 6 sec, and I doubt it did that. Powersplit advertises 5 sec. (I'm pretty sure). It was plenty fast enough. I'm not exactly sure how they do it while maintaining splitting tons. It has something to do with a weighted flywheel. All you engineers would be able to explain it. smiley_idea

DMcCoy

That is a well thought out machine.  The conveyor is as much a part of the overall process speed as the cycle time.  The conveyor uses a solid sheet of metal for a trough that is important.
If I was commercial in my firewood I think that is a great machine.

Roscoe294

So I've found that Timber Devil and Powersplit are the same company. TD is the Canadian division and PS is the U.S. division. I find it strange that the U.S. division is still based out of Quebec. PS pricing is USD and there is no exchange rate given. So for example if your paying $27,000 USD for a unit at todays exchange rate, they are essentially saying their unit is worth $36,000 CAD. Hmmmmm..........

Pclem

Quote from: Pclem on March 25, 2019, 07:03:11 PM
The cycle time on the powersplit was faster than the TW5 fast cycle too. I believe the timberwolf advertises 6 sec, and I doubt it did that. Powersplit advertises 5 sec. (I'm pretty sure). It was plenty fast enough. I'm not exactly sure how they do it while maintaining splitting tons. It has something to do with a weighted flywheel. All you engineers would be able to explain it. smiley_idea
A weighted flywheel on the pump, that is...

Thank You Sponsors!