iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Left over rice

Started by Tom, November 29, 2009, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I did it again, and it was so-o-o good.
I had a bunch of yellow (safferin) rice, all spiced up good'n proper, left over from last night's supper.  I put it in a medium-hot frying pan with some butter and fried it a bit.  Then I dumped in two eggs and stirred the concoction until the eggs solidified and dumped them out on a plate. Oh! so good.

Any rice will work.  You can even play around with how much you fry it before adding the eggs.  Salt and pepper after serving.

fishpharmer

Mr. Tom, you sure have a way with words that can make a fella hungry.

Now that sounds good.  Okay, I am going to see if we have some of that yellow rice.  I'll have some tomorrow if I don't find some tonight.

Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

But, if you absolutely have more leftover rice than you care to eat, just put it in a zip bag and freeze it.  When you get ready to "cook" it, just add a little water and pop it into the microwave.  It will be just like "fresh cooked".

If you are planning on cooking gumbo, etc. for a crowd and need a lot of rice, it's easy to cook the rice before hand, and simply "nuke" it when you are ready. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

Tom, I still fix that for breakfast everytime I fix rice for supper.  I always fix enough rice that I have leftovers.  Rice and eggs is one of my favorites.   Remember when we used to fix rice for dessert?  Rice with cinnamon, sugar and milk......made a pretty good dessert.  Yep, two foods that made men, men......rice and grits.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

Little bit of onion and some bell pepper really make it sing. Some Tiger sauce to spice it up a little and oh yeh.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

submarinesailor

Being married to a Filipino, I call that Fried Lice.....I mean Fried Rice. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

CHARLIE

Bruce, that would be flied lice.  ;D

Being raised in the South, we ate a lot of rice.  I moved up to the midwest in '72 and noticed that Yanks most usually didn't eat rice unless it was a special occasion.  Same thing with iced tea.  We always had iced tea and sometimes iced coffee.  You go into a restaurant and you can order sweet tea or nonsweet tea.  Up here, you can get iced tea  but it's never sweet.  Ever tried to dissolve a sugar in tea with ice in it already?  It's hard.  In the South we always had ice teaspoons but up here I'm lucky if I even get a regular spoon.  I personally think there should be a Government program where every Yank would have to spend 2 years int the South so they could learn to eat right.  But that wouldn't work for a multitude of reasons. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on November 29, 2009, 10:01:53 PM
I did it again, and it was so-o-o good.
I had a bunch of yellow (safferin) rice, all spiced up good'n proper, left over from last night's supper.  I put it in a medium-hot frying pan with some butter and fried it a bit.  Then I dumped in two eggs and stirred the concoction until the eggs solidified and dumped them out on a plate. Oh! so good.

Any rice will work.  You can even play around with how much you fry it before adding the eggs.  Salt and pepper after serving.

I'd eat that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

Quote from: CHARLIE on November 30, 2009, 11:09:30 PM
  I personally think there should be a Government program where every Yank would have to spend 2 years in the South so they could learn to eat right.  But that wouldn't work for a multitude of reasons. ;D

Well, that's what my twenty-year-old daughter is going to do--Lafayette, LA. I can't say that I am not worried about her decision, "for a multitude of reasons".
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

ScottAR

Eat lots of Rice...  Keep an Arkie in a job...   ;)

My go to rice dish is a mess refined over many times
cooking it with a "hey we can try that." way of thinking
It's fast if you use canned components and instant rice.

First, we build the flavor team.  Should end up around 1 cup total.

1/4 cup low salt soy sauce.
1/4 BBQ sauce (you pick)
Chicken broth from the can below.
a splash of hot sauce if desired. 

Now we cook.
1 cup of instant rice. (I use brown)
Melt one wad of butter in a pan and then throw in the rice.
Turn up the heat to Medium.
You can throw in some garlic now if wanted.  Just lightly crisp
the rice up. the line between semi crispy and burnt isn't very wide. 

When crisp, pour in the sauce we made. Add the rest of the
components.
1 10oz canned chicken  two small cans work fine too.
1 8oz canned mushrooms
1 8oz canned carrots
2 oz  canned pimentos

Spice it up.  try whatever.  these are my pics.
Black pepper
Red pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
cumin
ginger
Probably some I forgot.  Add any or all.

Put on lid and bring to boil.  Drop heat to very low and simmer
for 10-15 minutes.  Serve.

Remember, Eat Rice and Wear Cotton.   ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Tom

Quote from: DouginUtah on December 01, 2009, 12:45:03 AM

Well, that's what my twenty-year-old daughter is going to do--Lafayette, LA. I can't say that I am not worried about her decision, "for a multitude of reasons".

Doug,
When you make up her care package, put in a set of water wings and some swimming flippers.  :D :D

When  If she comes home, sit down at the table with a knife on one hand and a fork in the other.  It'll be good.  ;D

fishpharmer

I tried Tom's recipe last night.  I cooked a big pot of rice and then fried about half of it in butter.  I added a few eggs and mmmmmm.....that was good.  The kids said eeww yuck when they saw it.  I said "try some".  Well low and behold they ate it all.  Except for cooking the rice, it was real quick. 8)

I saved the rest of the rice for later. ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

limbrat

Aint got need for a toaster, but i got two rice cookers. A big one for sunday and company and a little one for every day. I likes yaya.
ben

Jeff

Today Tammy returned one of the trail cams I bought because of all the failed night time shots. She took part of the money and bought me a rice cooker like I've been wanting a whopping 13 bucks from Black and Decker. I've been sick the last week and a half, and my throat is still to sore to eat hardly anything, but I sure am anxious to give that rice cooker a go. I might have to make some tonight in hopes of being able to fry and eat it in tomorrow. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Need me to mail you some grits ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!