iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic 19 wont hold

Started by treefarmer87, August 03, 2010, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

my gearmatic 19 on my c5 is slipping. when i start in the morning it slips but after i start using it it stops, unless i have a big tree. when go to pull the log up off the ground at the arch it wont stay up in the air, it will go back on the ground, but it will hold most of the time. my friend said it is probably because of rust on the bands?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

dose that one use brake fluid???  if so is it on the brake band? i have heard of guys using baby powder to soak up the brake fluid.....they claim it worked

Woodhauler

Got fluid on your bands! Take the side cover off and see if it is leaking on the bands
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

John Woodworth

More than likely the problem is in the band being worn or the main tension spring brokrn or hanging up, check for leaks first your main concern is the brk. slave cyl. on top of the winch, if you are not using fluid through leaks and have verified the bands are dry the only adjustment is to remove the spring retainer on the bottom of the winch, check that it's not broken, clean it good and coat with anti-seize then re-install. When you reinstall turn the spring cap over and put the flat side up as the spring normally sit's it the recessed side, this is your only adjustment option and the band has to be pretty well worn to warrent it.

If you do have fluid problems don't use any powders to try and dry them out it just gums up and causes more problems, what I do is remove the band ond gently warm with a torch, you will see the fluid bubble out just gental heat don't get too hot, then let cool down and then scuff the surface with sandpaper to break the glaze.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Jeff

Using a torch can be risky if you get them to hot. We would take ours to the mill and bake em over night in the oven we had in the shop.  First thing is find the leak so they stay dry.  We could sometimes hook to a tree and burn the fluid off. Slip it until it didnt slip any more.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treefarmer87

it takes brake fluid,  ill try what you guys said in the morning.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ed_K

When mine did that,it was due to the tension spring getting weak. If you have fluid on the band, put it in a pan of fine sand or kitty littler and bake at 350 for an hr. I have a repair manual and part #s.
Ed K

Maine372

did that parts manual reccomend scented or clumping kitty litter?      :D

Coon

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!