iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana Mill.)

Started by BrothersMule, December 03, 2010, 04:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrothersMule

I am interested to see if anyone here uses this species for anything. I have always been told that these trees are worthless and not good for any thing and i thought who better to confirm this claim then the experts of the FF. One reason i am asking is i have several of these trees very close to my house and scattered around my lot here in NC. I know that these trees have a habit of topping them selves during ice/snow storms and high wind. With winter all but here and the fact that we tend to get more ice then snow i just know it is a matter of time before one decides to top its self onto my roof. I plan to take most of them out (at least those close to the house). Does anyone know is there any market for these trees? Mine are only 8" to 12" dbh if that. What suggestions do you have should i try to sell them, burn them, dump them in the gully? Let me know what you think. And if anyone wants them you can heve them just come get em.

SwampDonkey

What I have seen of Virginia pine remind me of our northern Jack pine. It is used for lumber and pulp. The Irvings have planted acres and acres of jack pine forest. So if you have a mill, try to mill some. Seems to me if you needed some lumber for a outbuilding or something you could use them. I guess I'm a little biased as I'm in an area that softwoods are for lumber and hardwoods are pulp, firewood and only used in "small operations" for lumber. ;) Virginia pine is also used as ties according to the wood handbook.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

I used to cut it all the time. sawlogs were $100 a thousand. and i would usually get anywhere from $100-$150 for a load of 16' pulp. i really like cutting it and still have plenty to cut, alot of mills up where i was in VA didnt want it.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

WDH

The strength characteristics of Virginia pine are on the low end of the acceptable range for framing lumber as compared to the other southern pines.  Many mills will not accept it for that reason.  That being said, there are a scad of barns, sheds, out-buildings, etc. in the Appalachains and the upper piedmont region made from Virginia pine.  There is not much of a commercial market for it as framing lumber, but it can be used as utility lumber.

Virginia pine of of the size that you describe are generally only used as pulpwood and have very little commercial value.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!