iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Beans & Rice

Started by Magicman, August 29, 2012, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Since Red Beans & Rice is thought of as being a dish closely associated with our coastal region, today was a good day to enjoy them.  Dried red kidney beans with some cajun seasoning and sausage served over rice with a side of yellow cornbread. 

There is not much any better than that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thurlow

Mighty fine, mighty fine...........though I usually consider it a "hearty" meal enjoyed better in the Wintertime.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

okmulch

I had that last Friday also! My friends from Louisiana made a big ol pot of red beans with  andouille sausage and we put it over rice with some home made jalopeno pepper slices from the garden on top. YUM YUM!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Roxie

Oh, that cornbread looks wonderful!   8)
Say when

Magicman

Yes Roxie, Pat is a cornbread making "machine".  Always with yellow cornmeal, moist, not sweet, black iron skillet, and her own recipe.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

That sounds like my kind of cornbread!  It's an awful disappointment to bite into a piece of cornbread and have it taste more like pound cake.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

I'd really like to be sittin down to some of that cornbread with a plateful of that red beans and rice -- rat now!!
And ditto on the 'no' sweet recipe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Okay let's educate me on how you fix the beans and rice. Looks awesome but I've never had it before.

Buck

Norm, get ya bag of dry beans and soak them overnight in water. Just keep the beans covered in water as they will soak up the water for a while. I like a lb of sausage to a lb of beans, We put the beans in a good crock pot early in the morning and rumble them all day on high so they make a their own gravy. Season to taste. I like onions cooked in mine but many like raw onion slices while eating. Cornbread or hush puppies on the side and you've god a meal fit to eat.  We cut up the sausage into bite size pieces brown them and add them (and the juices) to the pot. Some just put it in and slow cook it. Rice isnt too bad. Instructions on the package will get you there. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

metalspinner

Oh, man!  That looks goooood. :)

We save a big ol' ham bone to season the beans as they cook. My momma said you have to use Camellia brand kidney beans.  I always stock up when I'm home. :) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Pat says "that's right about the Camellia brand beans".  But she also says to save the hambone for soup.  Red beans gets sausage.   (There is a recipe on the back of the package.)

There is really not much to a red bean recipe:

First, rinse the beans, and then cover them with water in a sauce pan.  Add diced onion and anything else that you wish.  Some folks use Rotel tomatoes, but she does not.  While cooking, add water as needed.  Season with salt/pepper/Cajun seasoning to taste.

Cook sliced link sausage, drain, and add to the beans about 30 minutes before serving.

Cook until the beans are tender but not falling completely apart.  The bean juice will make a nice gravy when served over rice.

Roxie

Yep, Pat makes her cornbread just like I do!  There is even a dedicated cast iron skillet for only cornbread.  I like to heat shortening or lard in the pan in the oven and then pour the batter into the hot skillet.  It makes a crusty texture on the outside.  Heaven!   :)
Say when

Magicman

I asked her about her cornbread recipe, and was quickly informed that there was not a recipe.  She just makes it.  Our DIL tried to watch her and write stuff down, but it still did not work because nothing is "measured".

Norm

So the dried bean is a kidney bean? I'm familiar with pinto, navy, and such but wanted to make sure I buy the right variety. I'll look for the camellia brand, are they a dried kidney bean?

Magicman

Yes, a dried red kidney bean.

How 'bout a shot of the beans with the reply in the background?   :)

Magicman

If your store does not carry that bean, let me know.  UPS runs every day.   ;D

ashes

Could I ask what is so special about that particular brand of bean?

I eat beans often in soups and like Magic showed in the original post, but I can't recall ever seeing that brand of bean. To be honest I never payed too much attention. I figured a beans a bean, and just grab a bag of what looks good. Been partial to black-eyed peas lately.

metalspinner

QuoteCould I ask what is so special about that particular brand of bean?

Because that's what Momma uses. :D

If your gonna have Magicman drop you a box, get some white beans, too. (Camellia Baby Lima's) :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Hard to argue with Momma.

Cornbread  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That cornbread looks some good. Good job Mrs. MagicMan. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Ray, did you know that cornbread is just a different way of cooking grits?  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Don't tell me I've been eating grits for almost 45 years.  :o   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Ray has now been forever scarred by that knowledge. :D

Thanks Lynn, a picture is worth a thousand words! A couple of more questions, how much liquid to a pound of beans in the crock pot? Also would you use any other seasoning with it other than a chopped up onion and what's the preferred sausage to use?

Oops one more, anything about the rice other than must make it in my rice cooker?

Raider Bill

Rice and beans is a regular 3 meal a day staple with my 2nd ex wife's family who is from the tropics. Sometimes you got meat sometimes not. For breakfast they would drop a egg on top.
Not being a grit eater I like mine with a nice crusty Italian bread.
Their preferred choice was Goya brand red beans
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

:o  Whoa, we now have a closet grit eater who is having trouble coming out of the closet.  Take a deep breath and repeat; "my name is Ray and I have eaten grits."   ;D

Your rice will be fine.  Concerning the bean brand, my answer is 'bout what metalspinner said.  Camille brand is a New Orleans product.

The beans soak up plenty of water, and you need your bean gravy.  The package recipe says 8-10 cups of water per 1 lb. of beans.  Buck soaks them overnight which will soften the beans and reduce the cooking time.  That works best if you know ahead of time, but in yesterday's instance Pat decided yesterday morning what we were having for lunch.  Pat uses a stovetop rather than a crockpot.

Tony Chachere's is a very good cajun seasoning for just about everything.  Tony's, salt and onions are the only seasoning that she used.

This is smoked deer sausage, but any similar sausage cut into bite sizes would work.

Thank You Sponsors!