iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UFO sighting in my woods today! Picture added!

Started by gspren, January 03, 2013, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

A few weeks ago I cut a 20" white oak that had uprooted on a hillside and when I cut the trunk it was probably about 4ft from the dirt although it is horizontal and maybe 3ft in the air. The stump is hollow, about 8" dia hole and I was going to take a couple more pieces of firewood off but when I got there there was a UFO (unidentified feathered owl)looking out. I'm not good at what kind of owl it was but it filled the hole. I put that horizontal stump on my do not cut list, I hope he likes it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Slab Slicer

Whoda thunk it. You made a home for that owl when you cut the tree. Now aren't some folks trying to stop us from cutting trees in order to save the home of some kinda owl?  :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

It's a good thing, you making and preserving that home for your feathered friend. I had to cut down a tree a couple of weeks ago that had been a den tree for critters before. I HATE doing that, but it was right in the middle of where our power line right-of-way is going up at the cabin. I'm going to take 15 feet of the trunk over to another standing tree and lash it up vertical again. We'll see what happens.....
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

That is neat Gary.  Wonder if it spied a mouse or squirrel in there.  I would be thinking that food is a top priority right now.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Nicely done! I kinda like owls, long as they stay away from my coop ;D  so far I've had no issues, mainly hawks during the day,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gspren

He was there again today and a buddy that was helping split wood took some pictures. if he emails a good picture maybe I'll figure out how to post it. And as a correction it was a maple not an oak although I doubt if the owl cares.

SPIKER

have a few BIG DEAD POPPLE up in my woods that had some nice deep holes in the top,   it broke off last fall right at one of the holes leaving one below and one above that fell and the one split in two.   Not sure what made them as we have a lot of big wood peckers and hear a few HOOTs at evening and late afternoon.   A few yards away there is a Cherry that dropped a big limb about 50' up that is hollow and last spring had a hole (whole) mess of hooters peeking out at me the one day. 

I like watching a lot of the birds on my place red tails and such but must admit only HEAR the owls most times.   

Still never managed to ID the hawk that has a nest this year.   rather plane looking more of a falcon but not much bigger than a pigeon.   More of a bark than a chirp & loved to follow me around waiting for me to flush something out for his/her lunch.

M   
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

They try to leave a few old knarly yellow birch and rock maple in the woods on crown land for the owls. These are the old 40"+ sized ones. Just about everyone of them are hollow. I forget how many they prescribed. But then I talked to someone in timber management about accurately measuring diameters classes above 48 cm and said anything beyond 48 cm is a 48 cm class. I asked why they wouldn't tally it more accurate if they were leaving wolf trees. He was only interested in tree volumes and said anything that big was few and far between and insignificant. It may be so, but why would timber management not be collaborating with their wildlife management biologists.  ::) I did the math on 1 - 20" tree sampled in 100 acres with 40 samples taken and it represents 9 cords of wood statistically. So a 40 incher must be nearly a load of free wood in my estimate. This is one reason I never put much faith in crown land cruises.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Iam all the time cutting out woodpecker dens and such as I fell trees, today I cut a dandy but some how remembered it later in the day but didn't remember which tree I was at when I cut it  ::)
Bill

gspren

For a few days I didn't see the Owl when I went past but today I saw that he is still here, we named him AL.

Magicman

I am so glad that it returned.  How high is the hollow tree from the ground?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

AL?

I have seen him on the Chainsaw Board  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2013, 07:17:18 PM
Only about 3 feet in the air then a few feet away it drops another couple feet to a small stream. When I ride my ATV through the woods my trail is about 75 yards away but I can tell from there if he is sitting in the opening although if he goes back inside I can't see him. I am guessing it's a Screech Owl, does anything harm/eat them?

gspren

Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2013, 09:15:15 PM
AL?

I have seen him on the Chainsaw Board  :).
Maybe he's studying the cut end to see if I sharpened correctly.  :D

WDH

He might be checking out your hinge technique.

Slabs

Quote from: gspren on January 10, 2013, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2013, 07:17:18 PM
. I am guessing it's a Screech Owl, does anything harm/eat them?

Don't know if owls are food for anything but there's some critters that will "eat anything that doesn't eat them first".  Owls tend to eat first.

My bird book shows that your area is common to Screech owls, Great horned, Long eared, Short eared, Barn and Barred owls.  The barred are common down here.  I idenified them because they are the only eastern dark-faced owls with black eyes.  Barn owls have black eyes but they also have white faces.

I can scan pics from the bird book if it'll help.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

gspren

Slabs, it is better if I don't know for sure what kind it is because then I wouldn't have a UFO on the property!

GAB

gspren Sir:
Is it possible that this owl is a stump reader?
Just reading the stumps to see if he wants to hire you to carve out his/her next domicile.
Enjoy the scenery while it lasts,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

JJ

Hi,
I once had bad problem with red squirrels getting into my buildings.  I eliminated all my bird feeders, and put traps into boat.
Saw almost intimidate reduction in the tree rats and felt pretty smart, until I began to notice the great horned owl hanging out around my house.
Was years ago, but I remember being able to walk around and find him in various locations. 
It was fun to watch, but I never did get to see him grab one of the squirrels.

JJ

SwampDonkey

Squirrels are also active at night time, prime time for the owl. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Slabs

Quote from: gspren on January 12, 2013, 01:09:02 PM
  Slabs, it is better if I don't know for sure what kind it is because then I wouldn't have a UFO on the property!

Good Point.  It might also screw up the thread name.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

clww

Not really:  Unidentified  Flying Owl. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gspren

Thank You Sponsors!