iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever see a circle mill brand " VANCE" ?

Started by LeakyBoot, May 14, 2013, 09:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeakyBoot

I have a mill with  the letter "V" cast in the headblocks. Someone said it might be a Vance.   Any  info on this old company?    LB

yellowrosefarm

I've got what's left of one and a 5 headblocker at that. The metal castings are J A VANCE North Carolina. The carriage wheels are minature railroad type 9" wheels and the track is minature RR track about 2" tall. It's been very roughly handled and outside for who knows how long. I got it primarily for the wheels and track to use when/if I ever get around to setting up my Frick 00.

Ron Wenrich

The V doesn't necessarily mean its a Vance mill.  The letter was designated to mean a certain mill.  Frick is something like the letter M or such.  It isn't the letter F. 

Are there numbers after the letter V? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

steamsawyer

Hey LB,

I have a J. A. Vance mill, made in Winston Salem NC. I am guessing it might be 30s or 40s vintage. It has three headblocks and a 16' carrage and 60' track. The carrage wheels have a V grove to run on inverted angle iron track.

There isn't much information on the Vance company to be found. I haven't searched it lately though. I think they built other machines for woodworking too, like planers and such.

Is your mill in working order? If not lets get it there. We need pictures too. Take a look through my gallery and see what you think. Let me know if you have any questions.

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

steamsawyer

LB,

I forgot to say, welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

LeakyBoot

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 14, 2013, 10:48:25 PM
The V doesn't necessarily mean its a Vance mill.  The letter was designated to mean a certain mill.  Frick is something like the letter M or such.  It isn't the letter F. 

Are there numbers after the letter V?

I'lll take a look when I down there.   I think it was just a V, but might be numbers. I record all of them as people on here seem to  know alot of mill info.   

LeakyBoot

Steam Sawyer, Thanks.   Great setup in the photos. I'll look over your photos.  My mill?    I have not ran it for about 5 yrs. Started it up about a year ago. Need to again.  Just need to set some batteried on and it should go.  It is under a mill shed out of weather and set on cement so it stays inline OK.   My husk is set and bolted to large cement castings and a cement floor where the sawyer works clear back to the end of the shed so it would be easy to clean. I used to have a wood floor and it was a great place for copperheads to hang out under.  It has a Phelps blower running off the main arbor for dust.    I used to have a chain and kind o f liked that as it did not make as much airborn dust on windy days.   It's neat to watch that chain.    Power is Caterpillar with Twin Disc, and 6 C belts.   Saw--- put on a new Payne 5 yrs ago and have not even sawed enough to dull it yet.   54 inch, 50 tooth  F8 with chip breaker style.  My old Simmons had the sockets getting loose. You  know what happens then.    I had peened then a time or two.   Always wanted to run a new saw and Payne had them on special.     Edger---Tower with a smaller and very old Cat running it. I stopped using it and just edged on the mill and it was a bear to start with the rope pull pony.   LB

LeakyBoot

Another bit of information on the is mill.   The setworks has 2 handles you pull. I never seen one like it before, but that don't mean anything.   One to advance, then you rotate that one and it lift the dogs on the setworks. You then pull the other to reverse the blocks.   It's different.   LB

Ron Wenrich

When sockets get loose, you need to go to an oversized shank. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Newmilltome

Has anyone have spare parts for a vance mill

Thank You Sponsors!